Arcanum ownership

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by The Pigeon, Nov 7, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Wow, a seven individual quote breakout/reply post. Could be a record. I didn't even read it.

2. Charonte

Charonte Member

Honestly, if you want my advice start off developing a 2D/isometric engine instead. They're more than complex enough for a single developer and the vast majority of the math applies to 3D too.

Read an article not too long ago about why you should make games, and not engines. Basically if you make *just* an engine you will spend forever adding useless features that have no practical use, trying perfect something that in the real world functions fine.

So, if you want to make an engine build a game and make an engine to fit. Doesn't have to be much, just a simple concept, so long as it's not so abstract that you can't actually focus on the game and end up just making a crap engine with an example.

After you've done one game, come up with a new concept and adapt your engine to fit that. You'll end up with something that fits a broader application and yet you're still learning something about game development too. It's never something I've been able to do but it's still the best route, I think.

As for considering modding in my own project (think this has been bought up before), yep, it should be relatively simple. You will need to have a basic knowledge of scripting (lua) and initially you will need to create maps by hand (I will provide a template lua script to facilitate this however), but apart from that it should be a cakewalk. Everything is/will be documented so nothing should be overly obscure.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Nah, not even close to my seventeen.

4. ZippoLag

ZippoLag New Member

Yup, the popular opinion is that making an engine would take just too much time, but just how much is "too much" depends on one's priorities ;)
    There are some things I want to try out and the only way to learn those things will be to really do this, or so I feel.

I dare say, computer based role playing is by no means superior to pen & paper. Sitting 'round a table with a bunch of friends -or strangers- and use your imagination to dwell in a fantasy world, regardless of texture resolutions and frame rates is a unique experience wich PC games fail to comprehend in most cases. And may I add, one of the things I intend to develop some day, is an MMORPG in wich the main activity, purpose, mean and goal of every quest isn't killing a bunch of creeps to gain experience and loot.

Thanks, but no thanks, I've already dwelled into the dark paths of isometric engines and given the fact I hated the results I got and since most PCs still functioning today have enough proccessing power to smoothly run some sort of complete 3d engine I feel that attempting to make an isometric engine -or using one for making a game- would end up in me giving up what's left of my humanity for the sake of keeping my mind "sane". I'm probably going to use lua for scripting, though.

5. ZippoLag

ZippoLag New Member

I thank you indeed, I basically want to translate pen&paper role playing to computer role playing, it shall be a titanic task with less than very low chances of success, but hell, I want to try :)

6. Crypton

Crypton Member

ZippoLag: You seems to be experienced, so why have you decided to write a (another) brand new engine when you could use some already working one? Do you know a project EvilTemple? It's TOEE engine restoration project, and it has a very advanced engine already, it's also open-source, so you might use it as base for the new Arcanum engine. Don't do same mistake as we/I did. Make a game, not engine, before your enthusiasm fade away.

Just giving a advice, it's your decision, but you might be the one who actually might be successful.

Have a nice day.

7. ZippoLag

ZippoLag New Member

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice, I rally do, so since I've stated a couple of times already that the major reason for me wanting to put myself though this seemingly painful experience: I love systems. I love them so much I'm studying information systems engineering, but it is a shame that the only systems we get a chance to develop in course are boring administrative ones, sure they put food on the table but are as boring, uninteresting and easy to make that they almost killed my passion for engineering. But thankfully things got interesting when I dwelled into the realms of OS design, and the algorithms and workarounds people had to make get computers to what they are today, and then I remembered, my long lost dream from my days of innocence: I wanted to make a living out of making games, and then I remembered all of my past failures, and the biggest reasons behind them: my own ignorance and the uglyness of the engines I had at hand to experiment with, a week later I had made an ASCII Pacman in C and my faith in the world was restored. So after some thinking I came to realize that, making a whole -or at least the functional barebones- of a 3D networking game engine would be a task that I would definately complete one day.

And besides, yes, it may be pointless to re-invent the wheel, but I might just invent the gear in the process ;)

8. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I thought I recalled your saying that it was cancelled or shelved indefinitely. My apologies.

9. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

You should really try to implement the game logic first, and only THEN think about adding any kind of 2D, isometric or 3D interface or other shining features. Collect ideas about the mechanics of the game you planned and try to realize them in code. Making a 2D interface and some kind of editor is easier once you have a solid, consistent system. Avoid 3D, it introduces a lot of problems and expenses, 2D and especially isometric is enough pain in the ass already. Have a game in mind (perhaps some adventure module from pen & paper?) to implement with your engine, try to adjust it accordingly.
    Any time you have some nice idea, do a reality check. You are a single developer with limited time and budget. Aim low, make something simple but robust, once you achieved that, try to build on it, improve it.
    Oh yes, and kiss your free time goodbye.

10. ZippoLag

ZippoLag New Member

ABSOLUTELY YES!
    I've seen countless failed attempts at making all sorts of systems, each doomed by the same flaw: lack of planning. The concept that I've thought of -as long as I manage to implement it correctly- would be modularized enough that you could actually swap the graphic prossesing part of the engine and replace it for something completely different, as long as it supports the same programmatical interface. The first version of the "graphical engine" will probably end up being a text adventure madlib style, if th mechanics are working well enough, I think I'll skip right into a 3D graphic module. A Dwarf Fortress style engine is completely out of the cuestion -tho it could be "fun" to do-, in case you were wondering :p

And, "spare time" you say? What is that? Do you eat it? '^^
    No, I've not had true free time in ages, I'm always poking my nose in something, either addicted to a game or messing with stuff, even on vacations, I've long forgotten the pleasure of being able to "do nothing".

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're truly determined to take the plunge. Good luck! At the least, you'll certainly learn something.

As for table-top games, when you have a good group and a good imagination, no computer game can compare. Of course, the shiny lights and colours of computer games are irresistable.

12. NotDedYet

NotDedYet New Member

Last I recall was that Sierra was bought by Vivendi Universal. Unless they're a part of Activision. I recall briefly after Troika went under, they moved the original forum without all the pretty stylings and people hung out there until they decided to just close them. I wonder what happened to that one guy who was the goto guy on gunslinger characters. He was always such a card.

Back on topic, any major corporate can use any form of intimidation on their intellectual rights even if it doesn't have legal precedence.

Microsoft does it regularly even on defunct games they could care less about simply because they hate the idea anyone would be enjoying something they created without paying for it.

Your best bet is to make it a spiritual successor to the game based loosely on it. Otherwise consistently worry about much hard work being put to waste via the big bad wolf and his horde of hungry lawyers.

Not that you couldn't just salvage the code and retool it.

13. ChaunceyK

ChaunceyK New Member

If you don't mind "da new guy's" opinion on avoiding legal issues, rename "Arcanum 2" (for lack of a better description) to "Munacra" (Arcanum spelled backwards) and have it take place on a different continent with new cities, new NPCs, etc. Don't use any names that were used by the IP owners.

14. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I call my collected ideas and planned engine Obscura. Not that it will be ever finished (or even started).

15. DarkFool

Indeed, in fact, I do. Skrowmaets is now going to be added to my archive of last names for game characters.

16. DarkFool

If Bungie starts a Halo-engined Arcanum 2, I'll start pooling bitcoins to bribe Lulzsec into nuking their servers. There shall be no abominations.

17. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

How does one follow what companies hold what licenses? Is there a database somewhere that lists companies and their licenses?

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

If we've learned anything from Duke Nukem Forever, its that some things are best left as memories.

19. DarkFool

No. It's a matter of looking at who-bought-who, and assuming that they acquired all the licenses. Fact of the matter is, there's a probable chance, given all the merges and shit that have happened, that nobody has a shit-clue where the legal documentation for Arcanum is.

20. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

'Whom'... :partyhat:

Our Host!