Favorite Quest

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by UniversalWolf, Nov 18, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf New Member

My favorite quest in the whole game:

Amulet of N'Tala.

There are zero hints given. Even finding this quest requires being somewhat observant. Finding the solution is even more a matter of being observant and having a good memory, since it doesn't pop up (with no warning) until a considerable amount of time has passed. Actually acquiring the amulet is a bit tricky, and requires deciding on the best approach depending on your character. Finally, solving the quest not only allows you to circumvent a much more tedious, pointless quest, it provides you with a sweet (and unexpected) reward, and gives you the opportunity to stick it to one of the games more obnoxious NPCs. In fact, the only thing I would add would be some dialogue mocking that NPC after you complete the quest.
    A+

:thumbup:

2. Langolier

Langolier Member

I can see where you are coming from albeit I think the lack of follow-up on it with said NPC kind of hurts it a little. I'd like the ability to ask that NPC about it first and then go from there. A directionless quest is good, especially in this day and age where ever RPG has a compass telling you exactly where to go... I would say that at least a hint would be nice, just one. Vague, but enough that you know who or what to look out for, or where.

As for my own favorite quest... I would have to go with either "Brigands at the Bridge" or stealing the elven funerary stone. I like these quests because they give you several different methods to complete them and have a few different consequences.

With the brigands at the bridge you can either pay them, kill them, help them, or trick them. Paying or helping them of-course has long-term consequences for Shrouded Hills and persuading them also tips you off to the Thieves Underground. (I think helping them might do this as well) This of-course can lead you to a whole new quest-line. Another good thing about this quest and the different ways to complete it as that it is a shining example of the different approaches that are available in Arcanum. A strong thieving, diplomatic, or combat build can each complete the quest in a very different way.

The elven funerary stone is similar as well. You can persuade the dark elves to leave, in which case you avoid a fight can retrieve the stone (mostly) unhindered. However you can also choose to sneak passed them, which in at least some of my games has caused them to sneak into the tomb and ambush me. You can also rat out Mrs. Pettibone and get her killed or shoot down her quest at the start because it conflicts with your character's morality.

Again, like with Lukan, this quest can lead you to the Thieves Underground.

Of-course I could never leave out the Half-Oger Conspiracy quest. That one doesn't have quite as much variation, but it is so well written that after all these years people still remember it. It's one of the best quests in any RPG ever simply because it is so satisfyingly unsatisfying.

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Anything to do with Madam Lil's.

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

You need to determine how to get Pelojian's spirit to answer
    your questions when it appears above Pelojian's pool at midnight.

Sadly not challenging anymore after one learns the solution, but I really enjoyed figuring out that quest in my first game. Required a bit of thinking, it did. Same could be said about the Pagan Gods quest as well.

5. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

6. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

The crystal ball quest remains an all-time personal favourite. And of course the infamous Gnome Conspiracy.

---

By the way, what happens if you steal back the evidence?

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

You end up holding the evidence, without the possibility of doing anything sensible with it.

Other than killing any and all gnomes you encounter by throwing it at them, that is.

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

That is one way of dealing with them by the book... hawr hawr hawr

9. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf New Member

I thought of that, but the problem is it would add a dialogue line that would be a dead giveaway to the solution. If you could choose, "Hey, I notice you have the Amulet of N'Tala," it would be a big flashing red light. Without that line, you not only have to remember on your own what it is you're looking for, you have to be snooping someone else's inventory to even see it's there.

Some followup would be good though. I really dislike that guy. :)

10. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

the Elven graveyard quest is great in how it fleshes out the game lore and allows for multiple solutions.

I also like the reward for returning the statue of the Elven goddess... we will have a feast in your name! Well golly!! Not that I expected gold or anything... checking the journal... well at least the blessing is measurable in terms of game mechanics :p

11. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Is this the moment where I remind the audience that the correct way to dispatch Magnus is to deal with him by the newspaper?

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Wow, what a great thread and you really made me laugh there, the power of free press. I suppose it is true what they say, no news is good news!

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Geshtianna is the human goddess of love. The org-, err, feast was more in the name of the Goddess, but if the Living One decided to participate in the celebration, I'm sure his merits were remembered and properly rewarded.

14. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

True, true. I guess I just assumed that in a game that has Elves, such an immaterial reward could only be handed out by them. The stereotypes demand it.

15. Langolier

Langolier Member

Geshtianna makes sense as a human deity seeing as free love and sex is her thing and humans are always creating half-breeds...

16. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf New Member

The Iron Clan quest is pretty killer, too. Another one with some clues, but not many hints.

Considering the view the elves of Qintarra hold towards marriage, I'd say they're into all sorts of kink.

Our Host!