[Search] [FAQ] [Register] [Login] [Usergroups] [Members] [Rules]
[Terra Arcanum] [Forums] [Gallery] [Downloads] [Troikapedia] [Arcanum Wikia] [Troika Games]

Support Terra
Arcanum:
Good Old Games

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:39 am Post subject:  Beta Version of Arcanum

Water Merchant

Anyone know where it can be found? Perhaps you, Muro?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:36 am Post subject: 

No Hole is Sacred
No Hole is Sacred

I do recall someone asking about this a long time ago. I think the thread derailed into people asking why on earth would you want such a thing. So I'll bite...

Why on earth would you want this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:41 am Post subject: 

Water Merchant

Curiosity and potential utility. Perhaps there are features in the old Arcanum that were cut unnecessarily. Like the fidget anims that Muro wanted to be put back in. Perhaps....one can extract the old art files and use them in the new. Things like figets or code or perhaps even dialog. Maybe there's a whole host of things left out that could be "re-incorporated" with the help of...well...rroyo....or anyone else who wishes to step up to the plate.

I did a search and found only one old thread that had one reply. Didn't really help much. I apparently missed the thread you talked about. Would you happen to have a link or remember the title of it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:08 am Post subject: 

10th level Paladin

You guys make me feel very ignorant and stupid. Respect!
All that time I spent playing with the magick, with no idea whatsoever about the program beneath it. You are the real wizards.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:22 am Post subject: 

No Hole is Sacred
No Hole is Sacred

I wouldn't have the first clue how to use a search function, perhaps I imagined it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 am Post subject: 

Water Merchant

I searched this many times before, never found that... so I'm also curious if somebody here have it. If you do, please share that with me :)

btw, I think that it will be impossible to get that, since only 10 people were chosen for beta test. They actually "won" it, and list of their names is here:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2635877.html

P.S. Wow

More:
http://www.gamespot.com/images/2644178/arcanum-beta-opens/13/0

Last edited by Crypton on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:43 am Post subject: 

Water Merchant

I wonder if GameSpot still has their emails on file somewhere. Would be a miracle if they did and they were willing to relinquish them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:48 am Post subject: 

Safeguard of the Wild

Heh. Donn Throg.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:53 am Post subject: 

Water Merchant

RunAwayScientist wrote:
I wonder if GameSpot still has their emails on file somewhere. Would be a miracle if they did and they were willing to relinquish them.

Do you think that somebody of them still have it after 10 years? Its only 10 guys. I doubt, and I bet that those people wasn't even "real" Arcanum fans, but some random people...

Last edited by Crypton on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:54 am Post subject: 

Water Merchant

Or that.... if only we had their contact info.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:40 pm Post subject: 

Nemesis of the Ancients
Nemesis of the Ancients

Location: Sittin on my Back Porch, Playin' Poker with Cthulhu
I'll see what I can do about tracking them down once I'm home today.

Jungle Japes wrote:
And I say you sound like an idiot, not because you disagree, but because your arguments are stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:41 pm Post subject: 

Water Merchant

When I was in PM with ZB, he mentioned something about if we can find any people who know any of the Troika staff by chance. Use them to PM 'em via Facebook or email or what have you. Anyone here you know who might fit that bill?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:50 pm Post subject: 

Nemesis of the Ancients
Nemesis of the Ancients

RunAwayScientist wrote:
When I was in PM with ZB, he mentioned something about if we can find any people who know any of the Troika staff by chance. Use them to PM 'em via Facebook or email or what have you. Anyone here you know who might fit that bill?
I think it was Muro who occasionally messaged Tim Cain? Check the spoiler's thread that was recently created.

Jungle Japes wrote:
And I say you sound like an idiot, not because you disagree, but because your arguments are stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:04 pm Post subject: 

Water Merchant

Quote:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Last edited by Crypton on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:49 am Post subject: 

Water Merchant

DarkFool wrote:
....Check the spoiler's thread that was recently created.

I searched through Muro's previous posts up to page 3. Didn't see it. There is a Drog's Spoilers page. Did you mean that thread? That was created some years ago, I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:06 pm Post subject: 

Mutant Patron of Deviation

I searched my posts for "Tim Cain". There were but three results, one of them being me jokingly pretending to be Mr Cain himself.

I never contacted Tim Cain (nor do I know what spoilers thread are we talking about, to be honest). Perhaps what you're recalling is me contacting Leonard Boyarsky while doing my research on the von Felden issue.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:19 pm Post subject: 

Water Merchant

Muro, I'd like to ask a favor of you. Do you think that you would be able to get in contact with Leonard again, except about possibly obtaining the source-code for the game and/or the beta of Arcanum?

If need be, offer him a link to this forum. A testament to a cult-following of many years.

ZB sent him a message on FB, I believe. No response from ZB yet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:02 pm Post subject: 

Done and done. I'll inform you if I get an answer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:23 pm Post subject: 

Water Merchant

Any success? Also now I found out who else may have beta version, yes The Drog Black Tooth (aka Drog Alt and Elder Joachim). I noticed that he packed some files with his unofficial patch, that are not even included in demo nor retail. Also that Lizardman patch is from beta.

Maybe if somebody familiar ask him, he may actually reply, I tried to communicate with him a month ago, but no reply so far.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:42 pm Post subject: 

Crypton wrote:
Any success?

No response yet, I'm afraid.

Crypton wrote:
Also now I found out who else may have beta version, yes The Drog Black Tooth (aka Drog Alt and Elder Joachim).

Judging from his attitude here, it doesn't seem so.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:31 pm Post subject: 

Water Merchant

Muro wrote:
Judging from his attitude here, it doesn't seem so.

Thanks for finding that. Look few posts below....

Elder Joachim wrote:
Drog had a press beta (build 3-13-01). He released some stuff from it, including the original lizardmen model. But there weren't that many differences, unfortunately, since it was just a few months away from the final.

You see, he has it! I knew it! I also bet that he has source codes, or some parts from that, because that will explain his unofficial patch.

P.S. Maybe he got it from Ben Houge? like that hi-quality soundtrack?

Also:

Mesteut wrote:
Actually, the first Arcanum copies to be pirated were the Beta-leaked versions. I had in my possession one copy, but I destroyed the CD. Don't blame me though, blame distributors who won't damned bring it to Turkey.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:43 pm Post subject: 

Water Merchant

If somebody is interested, there is screenshot from that beta:

Now I remember that I seen those Art files of that interface in Arcanum art directory, in interface subfolder, which means that its possible to restore it, especially when we know how how to modify internal GUI configuration table: http://arcanum.game-alive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29

:P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:46 pm Post subject: 

Water Merchant

A tripple post, bite me:

I found out who else may have it, the Calis, according to TA archives:

Calis, October 23, 2000 wrote:
Guess what the mailman brought today... that's right, a shiny Arcanum press beta CD! You can find some screenshots I took on the first page of our archive.

Link here:
http://www.terra-arcanum.com/oldnews/arc9-2000.shtml

Should we bother him? :lol: Who's going to ask him?

Also this article is interesting:
Quote:
Beta has gone gold!
Here's the word straight from Sharon Shellman, Artist/Animator/Office Manager at Troika:

I shout a hearty "Hip Hip Hooray"
The beta went gold this past Wednesday.

To the duplicators it finally went
Shortly to the press, copies will be sent.

The beta sign up will come to a close
those not picked will think that it blows.

For those chosen, it will make thier day
And they too will shout a hearty "Hip Hip Hooray".

shellman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:59 pm Post subject: 

Water Merchant

I'll do it. Working on a PM right now.

Good finds ZeroBot. I'm impressed at what you managed to dig up.

Does anyone know Drog Tooth well enough to get a reply from him about Beta Arcanum?

Oh yes, I believe rroyo had dealings with Drog. Perhaps he'd be willing to provide some insights for us.

Quote:
Mr. Calis,

Myself and various modding/coding members here at TA are interested in obtaining a Beta version of Arcanum and then attempting to get it hosted here.

As we understand it, sometime awhile back you got hold of one of the press release betas of Arcanum. We are all wondering if you would be interested in sharing a copy with the TA staff and making it available for public download.

Please see this thread here about our ongoing discussion: (http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=230912#230912)

On behalf of all of us, any assistance you can render in this matter would be greatly appreciated, and hopefully we can put some of the old beta Arcanum art, code, sounds, etc. to good use.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:48 am Post subject: 

Nemesis of the Ancients
Nemesis of the Ancients

ZeroBot wrote:
Elder Joachim wrote:
Drog had a press beta (build 3-13-01). He released some stuff from it, including the original lizardmen model. But there weren't that many differences, unfortunately, since it was just a few months away from the final.

You see, he has it! I knew it! I also bet that he has source codes, or some parts from that, because that will explain his unofficial patch.

Firstly, Elder Joachim = Drog Blacktooth. Second, from the sound of it, the beta that those ten received was different than the one Drog/EJ received.

Jungle Japes wrote: