What has happened to the English Languge?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.Bomb, Aug 12, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you find that speaking in full, unbroken, and lacking in modern slang English, is considered outl

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. C64

C64 New Member

True. Every country has ostracized minorities, the only thing that changes is the details.

And yes, it's C64 for Commodore 64. I've got one that's still hooked up and working, although I do need to recalibrate the disk drive.

2. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

3. C64

C64 New Member

Hello, bigot. Rodney has made you redundant.

4. Transparent Painting

Transparent Painting Well-Known Member

5. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

C64 I still don't understand what your trying to prove here. By counter-pointing everything that wobbler has said, you seem to be proving that I am infact not a troll.
    This is the really simple ideal behind talking to someone like you.
    I will say anything to get you to react.
    The game seems to be for you, to try and prove that I am in some way different from you and that my beliefs or ideals are a load of horse shit, but more importantly, to prove that I am in some way affected by what it is that your saying.
    You see, I enjoy taking the piss. As such, the game for me is to wind you up like a clock. By the way, nice one being an athiest. Earned yourself some "cool points" there. Twat.

6. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Nope. The radical branch of Islam. They have many terrorist attacks on their conscience (9/11, etc), but we must do now certainly ensure that they receive no more fertile ground among the poor as now in Pakistan.

I have one somewhere on the attic, it's still working, but not hooked up. Like I said, I truly miss those days when the plot and story were more important than the graphics and sound. (Oh, I can still remember when my father bought it in the 80's.)

7. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Did you say CharlesBHoff's name three times in the mirror and get him to post for you, or what?

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Nope, I was just saying that we really should try to stop those bloody terrorists for using disasters (like now in Pakistan) as the means for recruiting new members, who will massacre innocent people in the name of a debased and radical form of religion.

We could send some stuff and/or money to the Pakistani to stop these kind of people, but I don't think that the right people will gets it. Also, Pakistan is not real poor like Afganistan.

9. C64

C64 New Member

Rodney-
    You're the one who brought up religion, guy. And yeah, you're affected, otherwise you wouldn't still be trying to prove me wrong or whatever it is you think you're doing. QED.

As for wobbler, I haven't said anything to him that William James didn't already say better in Pragmatism:

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I honestly don't believe true atheists exist. To be void of any faith or any belief, well that's almost just not human. You're not an animal are you? Now what I can believe is people being Agnostic, like myself, though when push comes to shove I lean towards my Roman Catholic upbringing, mainly for the morals and principles (modern, not crusading obviously).

Also I believe Muro said it best when.

11. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

I know an athiest who believes we're the arbiters of the world, meant to preserve wildlife and forests. Though, believing that and being an athiest seems rather anathema, what with having a title like arbiter floating around.

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Also the idea we have a purpose? Wouldn't that be against an atheist's point of view? I'm just spitballing here as the idea seriously does seem so foreign to me, its like trying to truly comprehend what came first, the chicken or the egg.

13. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

Just another tree hugging, nigger loving, jew accepting, pro change, pro life asshole with no job.

14. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

What? Zanza, you're unemployed? Depart The House at once, freeloader!

An interesting point, but if Christians can accept the existence of something with no proof, then atheists can accept the absence of something with no proof.

15. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Whoa now, where did the unemployed thing come from? Believing that there is something is more comforting than believing there is nothing, to be nothing once your life is over feels morbid.

16. C64

C64 New Member

I don't have faith in any deity, nor do I believe there's an afterlife or a higher power. Agnosticism is a fine, defensible religious viewpoint, it just isn't one that works for me -- it allows for the possibility that some nebulous higher something exists, and that possibility to me runs afoul of Occam's Razor. (I do find the Abrahamic religions fascinating though, particularly the ways in which their texts and beliefs have varied, clashed, and evolved over time.)

Having no belief in a theological construct doesn't automatically make you a nihilist, amoral douchebag like some folks seem to think, although I'll admit that I've met plenty of atheists who are. Most moral lessons boil down to "don't do things that are detrimental to the community in which you live," and my life is easier and happier when my community is functional and working. Therefore, I have no vested interest in committing crimes against my neighbors (quite the opposite, really).

Morality can and does exist outside of theology. Humanist philosophers have spilled plenty of ink on the subject without resorting to Thou Shalts and other divine ultimatums. Not to be snide, but it isn't like religions have a spotless record when it comes to valuing human life -- they're no better and no worse than the people who believe in them.

Zanza-
    I can see where that belief would be comforting, but it's an argumentum ad consequentiam (i.e. being afraid of the consequences of something not being true isn't proof that said thing is true). I guess it comes down to a question of where you're putting your focus. If I understand you correctly, the idea that there's nothing after death, makes you focus more intently on your own oblivion. To me, it's an incredibly freeing concept. Knowing that this life is all I get makes me that much more focused on making the most of the time I have.

(After reading over this again, I figured I should make it clear that I'm not trying to argue you out of your belief; if it works for you, then that's cool. I just figured I'd try to explain the viewpoint from an atheist perspective, is all.)

Davischanger-
    You can't disprove a negative. I can't provide proof that god doesn't exist any more than I can provide proof that unicorns don't exist. The burden of proof doesn't rest with non-believers, and believers who are fixated on providing that evidence are not understanding what it means to have faith in something.

17. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

You do understand that all of what you just typed, means fuck all to anyone here. You will be seen, as a twat, just for putting the effort in. I would suggest a less bloated, less full of crap post. Then again, I am not one to talk...

18. C64

C64 New Member

People were openly wondering about atheist beliefs, so I chimed in -- nothing more to it than that. Besides, typing a bunch of stuff I know off the top of my head doesn't take a lot of effort, guy. Keep this up and I won't be asking you to go to the prom with me.

19. RodneyDale

RodneyDale New Member

20. C64

C64 New Member

And I expect you to bring flowers, asshole. And no tongue on the goodnight kiss.

Our Host!