A tale of old

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wolfsbane, Mar 15, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

This years winter had been the worst he'd seen since those of his childhood. Not even the wolves had dared venture far or long in the freezing blizzards, and many a seasoned wanderer had perished in the snow white storms. But the winter had finally given in to the oncoming spring, and the murderous cold was replaced with a mild season, full of both sunshine and rain.

It didn't rain this day, but the sky was grey and omnious. Normal people stayed indoors if they could on days such as these. But Saul did not belong to the normal people, and so he was not indoors. He was on a dark, narrow road slithering it's way into a forest. On the other side, there was a small farm where he used to sleep when he was around these parts. He had once slain two brothers who'd terrorized the region, and was because of that allowed to stay at the farm for free. He wasn't hunting bandits this time, though, and he wasn't planning on staying at the farm for long. If what he'd heard was true, the visit would be short indeed.

As he came over a hill, he noticed someone coming towards him on the road before him. He instincively stopped walking and put a hand on the hilt of his sabre, not exactly expecting a fight but nevertheless staying alert.

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Sister Avess strode along the forest road, hurrying while trying her best not to look like she was hurrying. Although there were very few who would attack a holy sister on an errand for her order, there were those who would do so regardless.

It was a mild spring, and her journey had so far been relatively eventless and free of aching bones, for which she was thankful. Hidden amongst the bundles of herbs and medicines she carried was a message from the bishop to her Mother Superior, and she could not afford to have the message to fall into the wrong hands.

She spotted a man ahead of her, hand on the hilt of his weapon but otherwise non-threatening. She raised a hand in greeting.

"How goes the day, my son?" she called.

3. Wolfsbane

"How goes the day, my son?"

He didn't answer. Instead, he inspected her clothing. She was dressed like your ordinary traveller from top to toe, except for one small detail. Saul frowned and started to move towards her, letting his hand fall from the sabres hilt. He cleared his throat audibly.

"Did you pass old Herlaugs farm on your way here? He lives not far from the outskirts from the forest and keeps livestock."

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

"I passed a farm some time ago, although who it belonged to is a mystery to me." Avess smiled kindly, glad that his hand had strayed away from his blade. She wasn't a fan of weapons of any kind, least of all weapons pointed in her direction.

"Tell me, which way are you going? I would not mind a little company to take my mind off these old bones."

5. Wolfsbane

"I'm headed towards the farm you passed." he said, ignoring her plea for company. "Tell me, did you see something out of the ordinary there? Were they perhaps celebrating a joining there? A... what's it called... marriage?"

There was something urgent about the way he asked. The questions were delivered more like those one might recieve during an interrogation rather than normal, conversational inquiries.

6. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Wulfhart was staring at the two wanderers through the tree further down the road, from where the woman had come from. He had planned to kill her, for sports mostly, but the appearance of the warrior hade changed the situation. It was near to impossible to sneak up on a trained warrior from the front, and he was certain a fight with him would end his life.

But he was interested in their conversation, and since the warrior didn't appear to be hostile, he decided walk towards.

"Hi there fellow wanderers" he called out when he closed in on them.
    "What brings you out in this weather"

7. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

The monastic life was a hard life for Selma, especially since she and her younger sisters do not have the same faith as the nuns. In addition, she found the rules too strict, because she was still accustomed to have a life without any such rules. Yes, there were some rules on the street like ‘Where is my place to beg or steal?’ ‘To whom must I pay respect? ‘’Which people must I watch out for?' etc, but that is peanuts with the monastery rules.

Today, after eating a healthy meal, and secretly praying to her own faith, spoke Prioress Ursula to her.

“I’d like a quick word with you Selma. In private. “said Prioress Ursula. She pushed back her chair and stood up. Selma stood up as well, and followed her, until they came into the room of the Abbess.

[OOC] Is this okay? [/OOC]

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Avess thought for a moment. "I honestly could not tell you, my son. I do not know this part of the world very well, and if something was out of the ordinary I would not know it to see it."

Actually, farmlands were farmlands no matter which part of the world you were in, but the intensity and smouldering anger behind the warrior's words bothered her.

"Hello there, fellow wanderers," a man called out, coming up on them from the direction she had just come. "What brings you out in this weather?"

"Good day to you, my son," she said to the newcomer, raising her hand in greeting. "I am carrying some medicines and herbs back to my workshop. And what brings you out?"

9. Wolfsbane

"Large bundles of flowers, ribbons and festivities are not part of the ordinary life on a farm. A joining isn't, either. Surely even a nun must know that. So tell me, nun, did you see any such things?"

He said nothing to the newcomer, but his eyes told the man more than any words ever could to stay out of Sauls way.

10. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Avess raises a single eyebrow. Oh, she knows that particular tone all too well.

"Some of us have more pressing duties to attend to than spying on the activities of others," she says in a withering voice. "If you will excuse me, I have patients waiting and a long way to travel."

11. Wolfsbane

Saul motioned closer still, now being only a few feet away from the nun. His cold blue eyes were fixed upon her, his face as though carved from stone.

"You will go when I am finished with you, woman. And I am not. I think you did see something on that farm. I think you were there, even, to partake in the heathen seremony. And, given your occupation, I think maybe you were the one to bless the entire ordeal, hmm? Made them swear loyalty to that false god of yours instead of swearing it to eachother and the gods they should be worshiping. No, I am not done with you, and you are going with me back to that farm to bear witness to what happens to traitors to the faith."

He had moved his hand back to the hilt of the sabre, now gripping it tightly.

"As for you, highwayman" he said to the newcomer, without taking his eyes off the nun "I suggest you go on about your business and leave this place. The nun here and I have things to take care of elsewhere. Consider this your warning."

12. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Avess straightens and fixes Saul with her most furious glare. "If you think I would dishonour the priests so, then you know even less of us than you think you do. You may threaten me all you like, young man, I have faced down far more terrifying things than you."

And with that she starts stalking down the road, back ramrod straight as she waits for the attack that is certain to come. The young fool won't find her as easy a target as he may think...

13. Wolfsbane

Saul was after the nun in an instant, grabbing the cloth covering her head and ripping it off. When her hair was released, he grabbed it with a very firm hand and pulled down hard while at the same time thrusting his foot at the back of her knee, causing her to fall. He then pushed her away from him with a soft kick and drew his sword.

"I know enough about your kind to know that you deserve nothing but scorn from me. You will come with me to the farm, willingly or bound like an animal. And each time you do something stupid, I will hurt you. You may have met other people in the past, woman, but you have never met me."

14. wobbler

The sudden turn of event were funny in the eyes of Wulfhart. He had closed in on the wanderers in order to escape the possible wrath of the warrior and give up on his prey. And now the warrior and turned on the nun and seemed very anxious to kill her. And did he mentioned something about a wedding and a farm?

"Did you look for a farm and a wedding?" He said on a sudden whim "Because I think I passed one not to long ago"

Well aware of where the wedding was and what was going to happen if this warrior reached there, he smiled, caring only for his own amusement and welfare

15. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Avess took the opportunity the youngster's distraction gave and grabbed a large handful of pepper from amongst the medicines and herbs, throwing it into the face of her aggressor. It wouldn't kill him or even hurt him, but it would blind and disable him long enough for her to be on her way.

She hauled herself to her feet and collected her wimple, and she was away down the road as fast as her old bones would allow. It was only a couple of hours to the town that surrounded the nunnery, and she would find safety within the walls.

16. Wolfsbane

Saul swore loudly between the sneezes and clawed at his eyes in pain. He staggered back and forth on the road, trying to get hold on something to support his balance, and finally found a tree to lean against. His eyes swimming with tears, he looked furiously down the road at the barely visible fleeing nun. Having stared at her for a few moments, he came to a conclusion in his mind and then straightened himself, wiping the tears in the process.

Saul turned to the highwayman.

"You saw the joining, did you? And you are certain it was on old Herlaugs farm?"

17. wobbler

"You saw the joining, did you? And you are certain it was on old Herlaugs farm?"

Given a direct question, he turned to the warrior.

"Well, I don't know noone name Herlaug" he answered "but there seemed to be some kind of celebration on the farm, and what would them farmers have to celebrate other than the marriage"

He turned to the side, unwilling to let the dreaded fighter out of his eyesight.

"But if you can tell me your name I can show you the way to the farm, and then you an see for yourself if it's Herlaugs or not"

Then he slowly started to walk in direction for the farm.

18. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

The study room of the Abbess was small and mainly sober. It had a creaking wooden floor, and in the middle of the room near the window stood a beautifully carved wooden desk. On the desk stood on the left side a waxen candle, and on the right side a bundle of papers. “Please sit down.” said Prioress Ursula, and she took her place on the chair behind the desk. Prioress Ursula was the temporary substitute for the Abbess, who still has not come back from the church in Thorton. Selma sat down on a chair in front of the desk, and wondered what was going on.

"As you know, I am concerned about your soul, for I know that you still have not embraced the true faith. I therefore send you to pilgrimage to the Badger's Woods to offer prayers to the bones of St. Martinus. Sister Claudia, Sister Maria, and Hilde are going with you. Now, grab your travel gear, and I see you one hour later at the exit. Okay, now leave me; I have some important business to do. “

"Yes, Prioress Ursula." said Selma, and left the room.

19. Wolfsbane

Saul frowned once again.

"I cannot see why my name would be of any importance to you. And you do not have to show me there, I know perfectly well where the farm I seek lies."

And with those words, he started walking down the road towads Herlaugs farm and the people he had to kill.

20. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

The Templar stood in the middle of the paddock, his Breastplate stained with the blood of the inhabitants of the farm. Clutching a massive two-handed Warhammer in one hand and a heathen in the other. The heathen could barely even stand, he was on the brink of death and would soon die to the multiple traumas caused to his now broken body.

"Tell me what I want to know and by the grace of my God, I will end your life quickly."

The heathen could hardly talk, only blood came out of his mouth. Frustrated by the weakness of farmers, the Templar threw the heathen's body up into the air and smashed it with his warhammer, sending the body several feet and landing right in front of a warrior who had just come down the road. The Templar noticed this warrrior, still holding his warhammer, he shifted into a defensive stance and glared at the warrior.

Our Host!