New game

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wolfsbane, Mar 11, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I was thinking to play a beautiful orphan girl from the streets with the name Selma. The church persecuted her parents, because they were of the ‘wrong’ religion. After living on the streets with her two sisters and a brother, they came in a monastery. (Only Selma and her two sisters.) There, in the monastery taught the girls to read and write, and everything else. She wants to find out what happened to her brother and her parents.

Pros: Selma can read and write, and has good social skills. In addition, because of her street life, she knows certain people, (mostly thieves, thugs, people from her own religion, or who gives her food or healing.) fighting with knives, pickpocket, and open locks.

Cons: She is a beautiful, dark haired, slim girl, and a wet dream for the most males. The thing is that she does not love the males and the most people regard her as a heretic tramp, which must learn about the ‘true’ religion.

2. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

That's actually a pretty interesting character, Arthgon.

I suppose I should write my char down as well.

Saul comes from a somewhat isolated village located far away, beyond the mountains. He was trained in combat from an early age by his father, a harsh veteran who had fought in the wars between the tribes and clans for most of his adult life. His mother perished during one of those wars. Religion and tradition were very important things in the village, and so Saul grew up to be a pious man. When the new faith reached his village, conflict and battle soon erupted. Saul lost many of his loved ones in the war, including his father. When the last of the newcomers had been driven out, Saul was a changed man. He soon left the village and set out into he world to destroy those who had come to destroy his home.

Pros: Saul is a very capable warrior with many years of hard-won experience. He knows how to survive in the wild and ownes a discipline made of iron will.

Cons: Saul is a bitter and unpleasant man. He doesn't like women and he hates followers of the new religion. He is quick to judge and quick to anger, but hard to please and nearly impossible to impress.

Appearance: Saul is a tall, muscular man with ice blue, piercing eyes. He is bald and beardless and has many scars across his body. He is usually dressed in simple clothing, covered by a chainmail haubergon. His weapons of choice are a heavy sabre accompanied by either a bearded axe or a round shield.

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I was going to classify magic was superstition, Probably going to be a Dark Ages kind of guy, even a science too advanced could be considered a magic. Knowledge of herbs wouldn't be considered magic, however if your character was to perform these healing procedures in a ritual or a chant then that would be 'magic'.

4. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Should be alright then, Zanza.

So I decided to be a Nun. Here she is.

Sister Avess, formerly Marjolene is an aging nun, new to the calling but a long-time devotee of the new religion. She's seen some pretty heavy violence across the years, having been brought up at the edges of where the holy wars were the worst, and she's managed to learn how to deal with the worst of the things people do to each other without becoming hardened to it.

During the holy wars, an old monk taught her and the local children how to read and write and the words of his god. He wasn't supposed to teach the girls, only the boys, but he didn't care and taught any child who turned up. Marjolene had a knack with the ink and the quill, and a sympathetic nature, and so the old monk taught her about herbs and about the human body, and she learned how to heal.

The wars got worse, and Marjolene stayed when most people fled, and she healed anyone and everyone who needed her help, regardless of belief, creed, or colour. And then the wars ended... and Marjolene found the nearest nunnery and took holy orders, becoming Sister Avess.

Pros: Knows plenty about medicine, cool head in a crisis, better suited to dealing with the outside world than most nuns, willing and able to offer aid to pretty much anyone.

Cons: Getting old, sometimes clashes with the nuns brought up inside the church, can be very opinionated, sometimes misses prayers in the name of her herbs and poultices, has an unfortunate habit of getting involved.

5. Wolfsbane

Xiao, are you wearing anything that could betray your religious alignment?

6. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

..She's a NUN, dude. She's wearing a travel cloak, but it's kinda hard to disguise a habit. Although, I guess if your character doesn't have any experience with nuns, it'd just look like she's hearing a scarf over her head to protect her hair.

7. Wolfsbane

Alright. I wasn't sure nuns in this world looked the same as ours.

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

It was a fair question. Nuns tend to vary a bit.

9. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I think I'll join in later tonight. Just gonna think up a character more through, but will probably go with a classic mercenary type.

EDIT: Here he is.

Wulfhart was rasied on the streets in one the major citys nad survived only through strenght of mind and ruthlessness. He was taught by punches from those that ever caught him stealing, and he learned not the get caught. As he started coming of age he soon managed to make a minor name amongst the underworld as an assasins and hired sword that accepted all jobs. Now he travels to see the world and to make his name bigger. Religion and loyalty are for him two things weak men have maid up to feel bigger.

Pros: Being ruthless can save you life and intimidate many men. He is also adept at fighting in shadows and in complete darkness.

Cons: By most he is considered a thief, murder and overall bad man. His way of thinking have gotten him into trouble more than once. Neither have he learned to read or write.

Appearance: Wulfhart is of average height but very flexible and athletic. His eyes are black and so is his hair. He often wears clothing of a darker color (Black, dark green, dark blue..) with many small blades and daggers hidden. His weapon of choice are two short blades that's he is very skilled with.

10. Wolfsbane

I'm waiting for you to reply, Xiao, unless you want me to go first.

11. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I'm here, I'm here. Sorry - sleep is important.

12. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

If none of you have any objections, I'd like to join in next week, once my midterms are finally over (bleh).

13. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

How close to Christianity is this new religion?

It's just that, if it's fairly close, Arthgon needs a quick rundown on how life in a nunnery actually works with regards to authority and the saints.

14. Wolfsbane

I don't think the faith itself must resemble christianity very much, just the organisation.

15. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

So... just one thing, saints are dead people, right? So they don't send you out to 'find' them, they send you on a pilgrimage to offer prayers to the saint and to give donations to wherever it's being held. Just figured I'd mention.

I swear, my Cadfael-inspired snarkiness is done now.

16. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Character:

Alexi Rukanov is big. Not mearly a large man, but 7' 8" and built like a bear. He was raised by his father to hunt and trap, but left his home when it was obliterated by a fanatical prince. Since then, he has been travling steadily south. Because of his size, most people tend to be terrified of him, so he does his best to be non-threatening, speak softly, and not make sudden movements. It is easy to mistake him for a simpleton from his speech, which is measured, and his apparent slowness. While he may not be the fastest thinker, he makes his decisions carefully and sticks to them once made.

Alexi doesn't know much about the religions in the country he now travels through, for him people smiling is the best thing in the world. He helps build houses in the villages he passes through, his tremendous strength allowing him to speed up the building process considerably. Anyone approaching him in good faith will find a kindly, gentle man, who just wants people to be happy. Any vagabond or blade bravo thinking him a stupid giant is in for a painful, and possibly fatal revalation. Alexi has a pet white-tailed fox named Fritzen which he raised from infancy after finding it by its dead mother in the wilderness.

Pros: Alexi is a kind, good-hearted man who helps those he can. He is exceptionally strong and can lift an anvil with one hand.

Cons: His simplistic world view can land him in trouble with policticians and zealots. Seeing helpless people in pain, especially children will send him into a beserk rages, which usually end when the perpetrator is no longer recognizable.

Appearence: Alexi towers over a crowd and is rather hard to overlook. His hair is brown, and his eyes grey. His hair is bound into a topknot and his face is clean-shaven. He dresses in a functional blue tunic and pants, with his only weapon, a massive iron-tipped quarterstaff uses as awalking stick. Fritzen rides on his shoulders or trots alongside him when they travel.

17. Wolfsbane

Zanza, let me get this straight. Your character just... threw a human being into the air, with one hand, and caused it to fly several feet by hitting it with your two handed wathammer, also wielded in one hand?

No offence, but, seriously?

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Yeah didn't come across very well, I meant to say he lifted him up enough to baseball swing his carcass. I'll edit it when I can figure out a better way of writing it. I didn't mean to make it sound so supernatural or anything.

Infact I'll switch it to the guy was on his knees and he was just sent backwards from a big swing.

19. Wolfsbane

20. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

I hope not, I think its a good one to be going on.

@ Xiao:

If you want, Avess can be on the same road Alexi is on, and those are her foosteps he's hearing. Otherwise it is a terrified survivor of the farm massacre, running for his life.

Our Host!