Money and character points beyond your wildest dreams!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Alessandro_Monti, Nov 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

I'm not your honey, girl. Thankfully.

No, they weren't. It was the final version. The game was already finalized at the time, Sierra just decided to sit on it for 6 months.

Drog had a press beta (build 3-13-01). He released some stuff from it, including the original lizardmen model. But there weren't that many differences, unfortunately, since it was just a few months away from the final.

Also, if you're curious, prototypes substantially different from the final go for over a grand easily. So it's not that simple. Even if you find a person who has one, you may just not have enough money.

2. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

I'm sure my version was different though. The most notable thing I remember was a Called Shot function, with toggle instead of hold key to keep on, and the change in accuracy ratio symbol was included in the bullseye near the target name in combat, below the hit percentage. I can also clearly remember that I got a critical hit that rendered the target unconcscious in a single hit to the head.

Too bad the CD is unusable now.

3. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Wasn't it like that in the unpatched version? Can't remember.

Unlikely. Why would they remove it in the final?

It's possible in the final.

Incidentally, can you remember what color was the main menu font in your game?

4. Alessandro_Monti

Alessandro_Monti New Member

You really should have that hormonal imbalance sorted out, mate. Just for a moment look at what you are basing your whole argument on: me using the word beta instead of WIP, when I did apologize and I did say that others understood me very well.
    As for your answer to Xiao_Caity's remark, you've proven once more that you really did waste precious character points. Don't worry though, puberty will pass, and maybe you'll learn to use them more wisely in the future.

A pimple probably popped on your nose while writing STFU, ey junior?

There are websites where you can release some of that tension, so please, if you don't have any constructive remarks, stop posting here.

Cheers

5. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

The unpatched version still requires you to hold down the keys ö/ç/. in the Turkish Keyboard, and the keys on that same location in the U.S. keyboard. And before you ask, yes, I tried leaving only the US keyboard settings on my computer to see if it would make any difference.

No idea. But Called Shots used to have their own icon and changed the to-hit ratio. That effect is no longer visible, or even observable.

The main menu was the same (I guess). The only visual difference I can remember was the autorun, which was in no way related to this

6. Alessandro_Monti

Thank you, Xiao_Caity. Always a pleasure talking to artists. :)

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

You've got a lot of Muros on your desktop, good sir. Not that I blame you, that's what happens when one's bizarre naked photos leak out.

8. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

lol your obvisly a silly fuckin n00b gtfo my forum lern you're shit before posting

wance your as kewl and l33t as me you may retern

Well, I've seen a few people on the internet saying that called shots were toggleable in their game, so maybe it has something to do with what version of Windows you have or your keyboard/drivers. Or maybe their memory was just playing tricks on them. You know, when I picked up Arcanum a few years ago (after not touching it for some years) I was SURE that there's a button that lets you kick stuff so that you don't damage your weapon. The kicking animation IS in the game, but it's used for a different purpose.

All pre-release versions had a black font, as far as I'm aware (and I've seen screenshots from several builds). They changed it to maroon only in the final.

Well, maybe the pirates just repackaged it?

9. Alessandro_Monti

Great stuff! Looking forward to your next release of Arcanum WIP (I apologize again to everyone for having used a wrong term at first).
    Could be, and I will eventually reinstall everything. Hopefully it's just a one time glitch.

Thank you!

10. Alessandro_Monti

Quod erat demonstrandum.
    Your choice of words speaks for itself.
    I have literally nothing more to add.

11. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

The thing is, I very clearly remember how it worked. I even tried headshotting zombies on hours before realizing they never were affected by headshots.

As I never paid any attention to the font color, I can't make a comment on it. I only remember that the "things on table" theme of the menu was there.

Just like my artistic skills (on paper/canvas), I tend to see shapes/lines, but I only remember general color schemes unless I've specifically paid attention.

If the menu comprised only of text in black font, that's a whole different matter of course.

Doubtful. The install interface was identical, with the Empire Earth trailer there (I also remember opting to install it).

Anyways, I had received the single master copy from our neighbourhood "pirate", because apparently no-one but me wanted to buy the game (and I went through Arcanum CDs like mad because I don't take care of my pirate CDs and they get all sorts of maltreatment). That CD(s) lies magnetized and moisturized somewhere in my old CD pile, with parts of the CDs being transparent. No way to check it now =\

That unless Phadech also has an identical copy, but I think he too has the currently free distributed LEVEL magazine version. Which is the release version ripped on a DVD to be given free with the gaming magazine. Needless to say, I have the install files backed up in a folder called "Yedek" (Backup in Turkish), and I'm taking good care of my last copy of Arcanum.

12. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

So they put warez on magazine DVDs in Turkey? Well...

13. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

Not directly warez as they paid for the copyright - but warez as in all the install files are in the DVD, and they didn't bother removing the autorun/repackaging. As in, shoddy work. I'm still grateful for giving out working copy though, if that didn't work to popularize Arcanum, nothing would.

The thing they might disturb you is that they had included your... Drog's Unofficial Patch along the 1.0.7.4. patch on the CD, at the Updates section. It's the LEVEL of half - 3/4 a year ago or so. It isn't for extra profit though, so it wouldn't be legally problematic, right?

Those are your sig/avatar work in phases, silly. Why don't you still have them anyways?

Oh, and nice thing you guys didn't notice my Mischa Barton fanboyism yet.

14. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Yeah, they sure did. Sierra is dead, and the rights to the game now belong to Activision Blizzard. And of course, they gave some Turkish magazine the right to distribute the game for free on their DVD, and moreover, they bothered finding the source code in the archives to compile a Securom free version.

Are you fucking serious?

15. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

The only need to pay for licences, as Turkish Copyright Law.

And there is no way that a gaming magazine as popular as LEVEL here can distribute unlicenced copies and get away with it, especially after part of the writers left the magazine to form Oyungezer after a large media cartel bought LEVEL. The competition would tear holes in them.

LEVEL has also given out Fallout 2, Bloodrayne, Broken Sword 3 and more games.

On Securom, I really don't think Activision gives a damn. I think they don't even produce copies of Arcanum anymore.

16. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Would you mind uploading the Arcanum.exe that comes with that installation? If it's a no-CD crack downloaded from the internet, then it's warez, it's as simple as that.

17. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

18. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Try some other site like Megaupload, I guess.

Mine, huh? That's rich. I forgot where I endorsed the distribution of software cracks.

Seriously, though. Do they really say that you have to install the UAP to 'crack' the game or they just didn't know about this 'feature'? If it's the former, then that means they were knowingly distributing a no-CD crack. How's that not warez?

Also, forgot to address this point:
    The game is owned by a US company.

19. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

I have not much to say, but:

Or you could use Fileden, it is for free, and very useful.

20. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FUZ8CHWZ
    They weren't actively saying "This makes the game no-CD", you could say it's kinda implied by the game not being able to be played without the UAP though.
    Your laws don't work here =P

On a more serious note, I think Activision doesn't care how the game was distributed as long as they were paid some sum. The reason for my thinking is that the media cartel who bought the magazine, Dogan Holding, frequently has power clashes with the resident government (the Islamists), and if they could get dirt on them this much easily, they certainly would. The Islamists have some good intel supporting them, so they would've known of this kind of infringement.

Worst case possibility, it's "legal warez".

Note: Alessandro, when you have something new to say and someone hasn't posted yet, please edit you post instead of creating a new post.

Our Host!