Arcanum: Enhanced

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Cloaked Figure, Jun 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Whenever I can find the time, I'll do some playtesting on those versions of Harm.

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Note that I said REinstall. It was already installed, but it also had Rroyo's kick-arse AWIP on it, and there was no way I was getting rid of the. Cue much backing up...

On the subject of this demo, I get everything that's in the ReadMe, gameplay-wise, but I start in Shrouded Hills and the plot goes the same as an unpatched game. I definately followed the ReadMe, too. Erm, wtf?

3. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

It's the patch file that alters the starting location. Are you sure you put Arcanum.PATCH10 in your modules folder?

In any case, if the problem persists then don't bother, I'm making some changes to the direction of the mod and my next downloads will be a lot more clear and will come with an installer.

What do you guys think of this portrait:

[​IMG]

He's too old to use for humans, since the starting age is 20. But he doesn't quite fit any other race. Or does he?

The quality of the picture is not too good either. Should I just discard it?

Also, here's a new portrait that I'm going to add for half elf males:

[​IMG]

I've also been wondering whether or not I should edit the new portraits' backgrounds to make them light blue like the original Arcanum portraits. It might hurt the quality of the portrait, or clip off parts of the face, which I don't wanna do.

Edit: I'm also considering pulling Churchill's portrait out of the mod, since it breaks immersion to have a famous person as a selectable portrait.

4. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I don't really like the old man one, it doesn't really fit any of the human races because of the age. It's also sorta washed out as well.

I like the second one though, it's important to keep the oil-painting style of pictures for PC avatars I think.

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

?

6. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

Yea, the old man is out.

DE, I don't think so, I got the oil painting from some woman's blog. The painting is of her son, although you can never know :p

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too hasty with throwing the old man out. A character in Arcanum always starts with the age which is just after the thresholdof gaining maturity in every race. Now let's look at a few examples:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Do any of the portraits look like a fresh adult? Definitely no. Do they fit Arcanum? Hell yes. I'd say that the beginning age can be ignored in quite a lot of cases. It should be made Fallout style.

Look through all of the Arcanum portraits. Not all of them all blue. Some are white, some are yellow, some are green. The rule seems to be the background being light and homogeneous (maybe also it being a cold color, but that depends on interpretation). As long as these requirements are met, everything fits the scheme.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The man here is Ambrose Burnside, a XIXth century American general (or at least a less bold version of him), while the woman is a member of the Troika staff. Does knowing this make the experience of having a character with their face in any way disturbed? I think not. In some cases it can even add some flavour.

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Cool! Something new to play with. :thumbup:

Looking forward to visiting the places on Cattan.

Also - Don't overlook the old movie posters for portraits. Way back when they were almost all painted instead of photographs.
    I recently found a couple that worked nicely.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. moonlight

moonlight Member

please need to .......

i really appreciate this work cloaked figure but iwant to ask does this work with magic restoration mod and if not is'nt there away ? :)

10. Michael

Michael New Member

11. Constipation

Constipation New Member

Cloaked Figure's Arcanum-related projects are as ambitious as they are quickly abandoned.

12. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Good news, I happened to have the mod on my hard drive. Here you go.

This is the RC1 version, by the way, I don't seem to have the later RC2. You're not losing much, though, seeing how apparently the only difference RC2 introduced was a modified readme file.

Shame he ditched his Dead World project. A fanmade post-apocalyptic Arcanum sequel could be great fun.

13. koval321

koval321 New Member

Helo am new in Arcanum moding and want to start from add new portrait

What tool use?

Do I need to replace old gfx or can extend total amount?

14. Nataku

Nataku Member

if you modify the file "gameport" in the portrait folder (you need to undat arcanum) and place in in data (in another portrait file), you should be able to add new ones.

15. koval321

koval321 New Member

Uh gameport.mes, thanx yes its possible to add more portraits
    Already am done experimental mod for tests and soon will relase something

16. S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L. New Member

17. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Generally if something isn't there its because we don't have the permission of the creator.

18. S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L. New Member

Our Host!