Arcanum: Enhanced

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by Cloaked Figure, Jun 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Cloaked Figure

Cloaked Figure New Member

~~~ Arcanum: Enhanced ~~~

I have been working on an unofficial Arcanum expansion pack for a while now. Code-named "Arcanum: Enhanced", this expansion seeks to add a plethora of new content to the game without harming the lore, story, or plot of Arcanum.

My goals with this expansion pack are the following:

1) Adding new backgrounds, portraits, and loading screens to the game.
    - New backgrounds will aspire to be as balanced as possible. New backgrounds that are seen to be over/under-powered will be tweaked until deemed balanced.
    - New portraits added to the game will not stray too far from the style of the original portraits.
    - New loading screens will also try be as close to the original work as possible.

2) Adding locations and quests to the Isle of Cattan.
    - This will include cities, towns, and random areas of interest.
    - Quests will range from short, two-track side-quests to long quest-chains with multiple solutions and endings.
    - New locations will feature custom-made scenery not seen in vanilla Arcanum.

3) Balancing certain builds as well as combat encounters
    - The ability to repeatedly use 'Harm' removes all challenge from the game if you are playing a Dark Necromantic mage.
    - Many people complain about the BMC mines being too difficult for the character level that it is designed for.
    - The problems mentioned above are but a fraction of the balancing problems in Arcanum. This expansion hopes to at least weaken what needs weakening, and buff what needs buffing.

Over time, more goals may be added to the project. For the time being, these are it.

Some smaller, miscellaneous changes/additions will also be made. These will be noted in the read-me files for each respective release.

Help is, of course, always appreciated. Anyone willing to help me with this project is more than welcome to PM me. I do, however, want to work on this alone for the most part. Any help will be limited to me sending you a background/loading screen/portrait and asking your opinion of it, or asking for some help with the writing, as you can tell, English is not my native tongue.

Obviously, this is compatible with the unofficial patch+extra pack.

RPGCodex thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33429

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Screen shot gallery ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Click on thumbnail for larger version of picture.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

New backgrounds and portraits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New items available at the starting barter:

[​IMG]

Pictures of new/edited loading screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Center Point, a city suffering from years of civil war:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Downloads ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Arcanum: Enhanced - Alpha RC 2

3 New Portraits, 3 New Loading Screens, 4 New Backgrounds
    Balance changes to follower "Worthless Mutt" and "Ore Golem".
    Two forms of Harm available, preferable one will be selected in later release.
    New items added to starting barter.

Leveling speed highly increased, most locations closed off.

More information available in Read Me file.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Looks nice, as soon as I saw the woman I instantly knew she was half-orc even without seeing the race.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Installed it to give it a quick go.
    The readme states that the character starts with lvl 25, while it actually is lvl 9.
    Would it be possible to put a chest next to the character start position filled with Morgana Tears and, lets say, arcane leather armour in 3 sizes? With what he was given Churchill, my 9 lvl gnome supremacist necromancer, was killed by a bear when he was on his way to the Black Mountain Clan, seing how his half-power harm with MA 50 eated half of the bears health and all of Churchill's fatigue.

As for the screenshots, the mass grave looks somewhat impressive.

On a side note. Will replacing the Arcanum.PATCH9 and Arcanum8.dat back with the original files make my Arcanum normal again?

4. Cloaked Figure

Simply deleting the files will return the game to normal.

Also, yea, I'll put up a revised version of the Read Me on the download. I changed it from 25 to 9 because if the character started at a higher level than worthless mutt it would cause a weird bug that would not allow him to level.

And btw, the xp to level has been decreased, so simply killing a few zombies in ashbury will bring you up to about level 30.

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

An unexpected modder, who's actually accomplished something?! I wasn't aware that was allowed. Anyway, this seems to be a functioning one, so I'll commend you on your good work, and try this out once I'm bit by the Arcanum bug again.

6. Cloaked Figure

Done.

And thank you, DarkFool.

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I must be unlucky with gnomes, since my human was doing fine.
    Harm Lite seems to be OK. Toxic Harm is underpowered when compared with Harm Lite. When used on a ore golem it took the same damage as Harm Lite for my MA 100 character (9% of his health) while costing twice as much and having an over time effect. For the moment I can't say if the overall damage feels balanced, that would require a little more playing with various situations.
    Arcanum.PATCH9 replaced a file which was 136 MB with a 6,71 kB one. Surely that can be nothing for the game?
    Yet I understand that returning the files will do.

BTW, the leather gloves is an item I would buy with my every character at the beginning.

8. Cloaked Figure

Did you have any other mods installed before this? If so, then yea, returning it to the previous one will restore it to the same mod you had before.

Which is why I added it, as a cheap alternative to gauntlets which I found I could barely ever buy with my characters. I also added the large armor as there were no clothes for large characters available in the starting barter.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

All I have was Drog family pack: the latest UAP with it's full content, high quality townmaps and high quality wav tracks. I believe the second was the big file, but nonetheless, replacing them back seems indeed to make everything work.

Gauntlets aren't that expensive (not too attractive, too) but just the fact that leather gloves are neutral (therefore good for any character) makes them a better item for the starting barter. When talking about expensive, there's always the rifle. I believe that starting with the Inheritance background is the only way to actually buy the damn thing. But not necessarily the bullets, no, for that you would no an additional boost in beauty and/or barter.
    Yup, saw the armor. A little addition yet how good. After all, not every big guy wan't to start in a suit.

11. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

By way of suggestion with your added character backgrounds, make sure you are specific with what is being done with the character. I don't remember if the regular Arcanum backgrounds are pretty uniform in their descriptions, but I think it's handy to know these specifics: If you lose PE, you lose -1 PE. If you gain bow skill, you gain +2 bow skill.

12. Cloaked Figure

Ohhh, that must be it, then. OK, I'll rename it to Arcanum.PATCH10 then.

Was Arcanum8.dat also being used? Should I make that one higher as well?

13. Cloaked Figure

I can see your point, the Drunkard background for instance.

OK, it will be done.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Indeed.

15. Cloaked Figure

OK, just put in new download that has renamed files, and clarified Drunkard background. The Drunkard background screenshot has been updated as well.

16. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I'm gonna reinstall Arcanum and give this a go, I think. Looks pretty cool.

17. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I cannot believe you all let Cloaked Figure's triple post go unrepented.

EDIT: grammar

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Haha I believe he was posting different sections up. What I can't believe is going unrepented is Xiao and her installing of Arcanum. Why was it not already installed in the first place?! Choose your explanation carefully...

19. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

I was only kidding, Cloaked Figure. You didn't have to edit your posts on my account!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Merged it into a single post.

CF, please use common sense.

Our Host!