Technologist profitability

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Master Bates, Apr 9, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. soviet

soviet New Member

hm. looks like a logical flaw again. shame on me :roll:
    while a tech player suffers a malus on using magickal equipment (the bonuses of the items go negative (there was a thread here stating this, can't remember where), making them inferior to regular equipment of equal value), and tech items carry hefty maluses for mages (the gun from the Vendigroth schematic had a 85% chance of crit fail on a 100 MA character ;) ), a magick-tech neutral (or low-tech) player will be able to use a high-tech item without any disadvantages of lacking tech aptitude (TA).
    (I'm actually not too sure here. IMHO having low TA will cause high-tech stuff to crit-fail too. does anybody have low-tech high-level chars and spare time to test the crit-fail chances on that Vendigroth gun?)
    while this is absolutely real - you don't have to know chemistry or physix to pull the pin and throw a grenade ;) - it makes my plans unbalanced.
    but maybe this can be solved with the introduction of use+maintenance expertise, as The_Bob suggested.
    I'm sorry to deviate into hardcore theoretical modding again, but that could look somehow like this:
    a character has crafting expertise, derived from the college in question and IN + manuals, as it works right now. thus being smart allows you to craft stuff by following a manual, while u lack the knowledge and experience on using the crafted item under combat conditions.
    the character then has use+maintenance expertise, derived from the colleges and skills to which the item belongs (i.e. firearms, gunsmithy and chemistry for flamethrower; melee, smithy and electrix for charged axe) and from the character's TA and IN. this expertise should influence the high-tech items in a similar way as MA influences spells - a master swordsmith will more or less fail with a flamethrower. a master chemist / demolitioner will do better due to experience with ranged combat and fire. but the full power of the said flamethrower is reserved for a master gunner-gunsmith-chemist-demolitioner who has understood and mastered all the principles of the weapon's operations. (assuming A:WIP or Carcanum in play and levelcap of 100)
    as a slightly more realistic approach - is it possible to expand the mage-tech aptitude from 100-0-100 to 300-0-300? or maybe make individual spells / skills / tech colleges contribute less to the scale?

2. Aiden_wolfhart

Aiden_wolfhart New Member

Where do you sell this tec items. i find it hard to sell eye gears. i know i can sell them in S.hill, some one in turan did buy them. but i did not find anyone for Ashbury. do i need to be haggle expert for this?

3. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

There's a junk vendor in most cities that'll buy anything at fairly reduced price. For example, in Tarant he's by the docks. I don't' recall if there is one in Ashbury, or where he is if he's there.

4. soviet314

soviet314 New Member

Aiden, grab the e-guide from the downloads. it has a plethora of merchant informations, including a list of whoever and whereever buys any given item in unmodded Arcanum.
    P.S. sorry, slightly too banned to answer in time :)

5. Cobramax

Cobramax New Member

tech items for nice profit

Ive found that making the explosive grenades gives best profit overall...cheap ingredients ( a tin can and horn of blackpowder ) makes 3 grenades that sell for 1120 coin a piece everytime...flash grenades sell for abour 320 coin and fire obstructions sell for about 656 coins each...i ran around tarant for 10 game days finding materials in trash bins and buying them from shopkeepers to make said items and made enough profit off it to but the bates mansion and have some coin to spare...lol :D

6. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Mate this is beyond a joke now, look at the most recent post and if it is more than 1 month old, don't bother replying.

Our Host!