High Quality Townmaps

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. krille

krille New Member

Thanks for spoiling Bloodlines for me guys. Appreciated.

These textures, while much less intense (which means so much easier on the eyes and the brain), the bilinear filtering looks really blurry and dull, almost sterile. Hmm... have you tried trilinear filtering, using the as original map as the second mip map? Might make it appear slightly sharper (worth a try at least). Or maybe not. In fact, unless you're into graphics yourself, Drog, I think you should pick up Frigo on his offer. Maybe he's got suggestions on a sharper and better filtering method? Don't you, Frigo?

Still, splendid work as usual Drog! Were you in any way affiliated with Troika or the (official) development of Arcanum at any time?

Frigo, I can nothing but agree with your avatar. These are worrying times, the future even more.

2. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I don't know what program Drog used, but most of them are bugged in some way or other, so I think those artifacts were the result of these bugs, not the properties of the filters themselves.

Irfanview, for example, has a COMPLETELY bugged Lanczos downsampling algorithm that's more like nearest neighbor filtering. Especially visible with sharp, small-scale contrasts (I've noticed it at the clothes of the "barbara" image). Probably the result of the miscalculation of the filter radius or the inverse projected boundaries.

Photofiltre shrinks and darkens resized images, probably the result of faulty coordinate calculations, and neglecting the division by the sum of the sampled values of the filter.

Xnview was doing fine as far as I've tested it.

Paint Shop Pro is also bugged as I hear, taking random noise from outside of the boundaries of the image.

I usually use Lanczos, and "sink", my own FFT-derived filter, with a filter radius of 3.0. They're general use, medium speed, sharp, and their artifacts are noticable only in extreme conditions, like in the case of long filter radius, high upsampling ratio, or excessive edges.

If Drog provides me an example image he had trouble with (preferably in 24 bit PNG), I can show the results of the various resizing filters, and give him a simple resizer program he can use.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Townmaps are generated by WorldEd. It takes screenshots of a map in small chunks, each being 256x128 pixels. Each chunk is downscaled to 64x32 with nearest neighbor resampling and saved. 8 bit bitmaps are used. That's what the game uses, 64x32 sized 8 bit bitmaps.

To generate high quality townmaps, I made a hacked version of WorldEd that outputs full size pixel perfect (1:1) townmap images, each chunk being 256x128.

This way, all images can be processed with a 3rd party program. These new townmaps were batch converted by Photoshop. Basically, you have to convert each image from indexed to RGB color, then downscale it to 64x32 and convert it back to indexed.

Bilinear was used since it doesn't cause artifacts, e.g. bicubic produces a light outline on an image, and since townmaps consist of small tiles, it would be very noticeable.

I don't really think you can produce much better results than this pack, since sharpening will just distort the original images. But feel free to try. Here's a full size townmap for Qintarra, you can try processing it with your filters. When done, create a 'townmap' folder in your "modules\arcanum" folder and put it there to check the results in-game.

4. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

The 8-bit causes some inconvenience, but I'll give it a try.

5. stylex

stylex Member

6. Crypton

Crypton Member

Nice pack man :p Its really nice to know that you are still interested in improving arcanum :) but as I said before the best thing will be to have a full source codes :) working with disassembled version is endless...

What about combining 1024x768 patch with this pack ? I mean by changing hardcoded resolution constants for textures from 64x32 to 256x128 pixels ...

Like new games using 8192x8192 textures :) this will be great improvement than using resampled textures only.

Or you might add antialiasing filter to that,because final texture is more than 3x smaller than original (adding new section with disassembled version of antialiasing filter function that points to memory buffer,or maybe direct x mod is needed),but its probably not worth to do that....

7. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

Great work Drogg!I thank you for or your improvments of Arcanum xD

8. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

Great work Drogg!I thank you for or your improvments of Arcanum xD

9. FrostyMixi

FrostyMixi Member

Omfg...Sry for DoublePost...I'm not so used to this forum xD (i'm new)

10. stylex

stylex Member

11. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

If you double post, there's always the "Delete" button.

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

12. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I never see the delete botton when I want it.
    Or is it only good for my posts. :D

13. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

Yeah, it tends to magically disappear. Little bastard!

14. Tremy Torobolino

Tremy Torobolino New Member

15. Flix

Flix New Member

First, thanks for this and all the other awesome improvements to this game.

I'm having a bit of a problem with this one fix though: the game no longer starts after I install the high quality maps. I did a vanilla install and then the official patch, unofficial patch, and the high res patch. I was playing the game fine with no glitches, but then I installed the high res maps, and now nothing I do can get the game to execute.

Edit: I think the high resolution patch was the culprit, as I changed my video card recently. A clean install of everything worked fine.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You've probably selected a resolution not supported by your videocard/monitor, thus the game wouldn't start up.

17. Flix

Flix New Member

That's precisely what happened - I had to manually add the resolution from the graphics card control panel. Thanks - Sorry for my idiocy.

Our Host!