The complete Void terrain set

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Anonymous, Aug 4, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OK, so I got anxious because of this recent talk about the never made Void terrain types, so I went ahead and finally made them.

For clueless ones:
    Q: What is a terrain type?
    A: A terrain type is a premade map, sectors from which are used to generate the landscape in the game. Terrain types are used only by WorldEd, the game uses the actual generated maps.
    Q: How do I use them?
    A: You can create new maps in WorldEd with the specific landscape, also you can paint different terrain types in the terrain editor ('edit terrain' button).

I used all art for the Void (natural, not tech) that was in the game to create the terrain set. The 'void plains' use this art:
    VDR and VWK tiles.
    Facades 301-305
    Void trees (3 large trees)
    Void plants (3 plants)

The 'void mountains' on the other hand changed their purpose. Not it's the abyss, the void fog. This terrain type uses the FOG tiles. (I didn't bother to rename the type though, but think of it as 'abyss' or 'fog' now)

Now we get to the most interesting part--the transitions. Basically, to create the Void map, you set the base terrain to 'void mountains', then when you start painting 'void plains' in the terrain editor you'll get those cliffs and chasms (facades 289-300). When creating the transition types, I was a bit surprised that those facades in fact line up perfectly, both in and out, like they were made for terrain generating. Essentially, you get floating islands of any size you want. And another comparison, to make it easier to understand: if Arcanum worldmap uses water as its base, then the Void worldmap will use the abyss, and all chunks of landmass will be floating in it.

Anyway, there you go. Now you can make an awesome module set in the Void, with random encounters having those nasty lizards.

DOWNLOAD
    (just put the dat file in your Arcanum folder to get it working)

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

3. team a

team a New Member

Put it in the root arcanum directory, without renaming it or anything...?

If that implies what I think it does, then...

well, that is even better than the terrain...

Our Host!