Drog ups his fixes to 080523

Discussion in 'News Comments' started by DarkUnderlord, May 23, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Drog's updated his Arcanum fix again. You can <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=23720">read the full list of changes on the Codex</a> but here's a few to get you interested:
    <blockquote>-Fixed music issues in Mannox's Hole.
    -Fixed two typos in Nasrudin's dialogue.
    -Torian Kel's Ancestral Sword doesn't have an empty spell menu anymore.
    -Nasrudin now kills K'an Hua at the Ring of Brodgar in all cases.</blockquote>
    I for one, always was concerned about how the music emanated from Mannox's Hole. <a href="http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/fixes/UAP080523.exe">Download the latest fix here</a> (NOTE: In case you're wondering, the patch includes all previous fixes).

Thanks <b>Drog</b>!

2. DarkUnderlord

Rest assured fellow viewers of Terra-Arcanum (including those that can't follow a link to the full list of fixes), TA will continue to host Drog's patch. Whether he likes it or not.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Drog, please grow yourself a pair of testicles.

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Christ, this guy is sensitive.

5. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

He probably thinks of himself as an artist.

Artists are touchy.

6. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

He's got nuts, they're just torqued. Ever since he had that tiff with the Russians, he's had a chip on his shoulder and he's trying to make everyone do things the way he wants them. He's way too self conscious about possible flaws in his work. As commendable as that is, there's being a perfectionist and then there's being a jerk.

7. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

You may call him a jerk, but nobody does what he does. And considering this event, he just asked to replace a few lines in a news post, he didn't "demand ass-licking" or whatever. You've no respect.

8. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

You're probably him or one of his friends.

And no, we've got no respect for whining wannabes.

9. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Whine is whine. DU posted his work, said it was great job done and brought up a few of the fixes, and he complains.

10. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I'd rather fuck Britney Spears than play this douchebag's patch after watching him piss himself like that.

11. Grossenschwamm

You're saying noone ever tries to make things better? That's funny. All I said was he's lashing out at everyone for something a few people did. It's unreasonable, and despite what he's gone through, it is not rational.

12. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

The funny thing is that nobody bothered to fix even the most important of the game's bugs in almost 7 years. The guy did, and, moreover, the last version contains well over 300 fixes.

He only wanted to prevent confusion with the news post. Isn't that rational? Did you guys read his posts actually? He had his reasons.

But of course, DU is god like and can't be argued with. I see.

13. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I see your point Joachim, and people can be too harsh on each other often, especially when the "crowd effect" happens as it often does on the internet.

However, if you break down the event series, it does look like Drog is being...........well, something:

1) Drog keeps posting updates on his awesome fix
    2) DU sees the fix, offers to help host it, draw traffic to it
    3) DU posts the most current update with a list that includes an anal music joke. A link is yet again provided to the main forum where the patch is housed. Laughter follows at the butt joke.
    4) Drog sees the text description listing improvements, doesn't like the specific listed ones, asks for a change
    5) DU says something to the effect of "don't worry about it, let your awesome work speak for itself"
    6) Drog states that there is no humor in his work, and refuses to let his patch be hosted at TA (a strange claim, since that implies he has any control over what goes on over here and also shows side effects of megalomania).

While DU isn't always exactly the most non-offending sort, he *is* driving traffic to the patch in the end.

Anyone who is "confused" by the newpost and cannot follow a link to the main patch thread most likely will somehow choke on their mouse trying to install the patch anyway.

To me, as a casual observer, its seems that all that happened was somebody didn't get his way and threw a hissyfit about it.

FAKE EDIT: Anyone notice Drog (whom I strongly suspect is duping in this thread) took TA off the "links/hosting" section in his thread?

14. team a

team a New Member

I've actually got to say that although Drog is pretty easily offended, it seems like it's because he's so picky about his work. Yeah, it can be annoying to a lot of people, but the fact that he's so particular makes him the right person for the job of patching the game. He's picked up on shit I couldn't even consider looking at, like sound tables.

I guess what I'm saying is that, like DU said, the work speaks for itself. Yeah, Drog is touchy, but his work's solid.

And no, you don't wanna fuck with DU. And, you can't criticize him for the same reasons as DBT can be.

15. Grossenschwamm

Joachim, citing how persistent one person is in their pursuit of gaming is not proof that they are above reprisal. I'm more than happy to admit that Drog has done incredible things in his patch, but he is not in a position to say what is and is not posted about his release so long as the information displayed is accurate, especially not if the link to the actual text is present. We're not simpering fools over here. We do not lack an index finger with which to press the left mouse button (or the right, should you be a lefty), and we all know how to read, which brings me to my next point;
    I have read more in this single week than you have any right to question. I read the entire thread (plus what I do in my spare time), weighed the points of each side, and realized that while Drog was indeed wronged (those kids at the Russian forum need to check their facts), he's alienating a few people, who would gladly give him support, through his sudden shift in demeanor.
    What amazes me is that you're rationalizing what he's doing for no real reason. Noone here has shafted him, and despite that there's "no humor in his work," Arcanum itself is funny. We, here, at TA, are pretty funny. That being said, Mannox's Hole is pretty damn funny, especially in that there's music that plays specifically when you are inside of it. Is that an immature joke? Yes. So is having sex with the sheep in Madam Lil's, just to read the "dialog".
    When working in any medium, it's necessary to realize that not everyone will accept it or even view it in the same way, but to go so far as to say we're not allowed to have it here is just ridiculous.
    I am greatly appreciative of the time and effort Drog has spent in working on the patch, because there's just no getting around the size of this project, and how much more to Arcanum there is to see. I, for one, really enjoy the added character animations that were already present but never used, set aside for mirror flips.
    We've no reason to feel bad about our own opinions, just as you have every right to defend yours. And, I'll agree 100 percent that Drog is very particular about his work, and in this case, being a perfectionist means he's the right man for the job. What I don't like is how we're suddenly the bad guys because of a joke. The joke was not a personal attack.

16. team a

team a New Member

Yeah, I agree with that. And, it was a pretty damn funny joke, no doubt. I think if Drog let other people's comments pass without being offended, he'd find himself a pretty popular guy with everyone. After all, the Russians eventually realized that they were wrong and issued an apology. It's too bad that whole thing happened, for everyone involved.

17. DarkUnderlord

You'll get no complaint about that from me nor anyone else. I think what Drog has done and is still doing is truly awesome and wonderful. I particularly think it's great that schematics that I knew existed from my modding days are now being added in. It'll also finally give people a chance to experience Arcanum without a few of the odd, quirky bugs.

I can understand that. I really can. However, I did post 4 fixes that are in the patch. I didn't make 4 up or deliberately choose 4 bad ones. I chose 4 right at the start, made a joke about one (jokes make news exciting!), linked to the complete list, encouraged people to read the complete list of patches and then got told I no longer had permission to host the patch because of my lame joke. I mean, I don't mind someone telling me my joke is lame but no longer hosting the patch and getting told I wasn't showing the patches "real content" along with other absurd accusations is a little overboard.

I can be argued with. I just argue back without whining, getting butthurt or revoking anyone's permission to do anything. ;)

Yeah I saw it. I thought about editing it back in before realising I didn't care. The main issue for me is ensuring TA has the patch hosted here so that, in five years time when the rapidshare link stops working, the patch will still be available. Plus Terra-Arcanum hosts everything else anyone's ever done for Arcaum so...

18. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I beg to differ. Chris Beddoes' mods aren't there.

Yes, I'm requesting them.

19. team a

team a New Member

bmp2art is also missing. I think rroyo pointed this out a little while ago. I can upload it somewhere if that helps.

20. Langolier

Langolier Member

I didn't mean to grave dig the other thread... so, anyway. I haven't been able to motivate myself to play Drog's latest patch because he's also made all the player Half-Elves use Elven art. That flies in the face of all the lore in the game itself and in the manual. He tried to rationalize it by saying the programmers must have known better. I think he's just full of himself, his antics here and elsewhere confirm that suspicion.

Our Host!