Arcanum:WIP 2.2 (Beta) Now Available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Oct 28, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

So when should we be expecting a new version? 'Caus I'm wondering whether I should start a new character or just wait until the next version.

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

3. Slaughter

Slaughter New Member

Just curious: What is this module about? Maybe I'll download after finishing my current game!

4. Aal-Bundee

Aal-Bundee New Member

rroyo-long time Arcanum player, first time poster (got the game when it first came out-many, many games)-this community is extraordinarily fortunate to have modder/programmers like you and C Beddoes-muchos gracias-downloaded AWIP2.2 a couple of days ago-no problems installing/playing-just leaving SG-something that may have been posted already (although I have read all AWIP posts and didn't see it) was the library dialogue and the misspelling of the word fidget and a problem that I also experienced with PCA-after playing for a while the characters/scenery will begin "ghosting"-hitting Esc, C, I, going to the map screen etc. will restore the screen and then I save, quit the game, restart and all is well-I am assuming this is the "notorious Arcanum memory leak"?-again, many many thanks.

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I'm home to stay.

Slaughter: Read the starting post. It explains the basics.

Aal-Bundee: Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the compliment and letting me know about the mis-spelling.

As for the ghosting - I've been exceedingly fortunate in that I've never encountered this. Memory leakage is a possibility (I guess) but I have heard that some video drivers will cause odd effects to the game. So there's another thing to consider.

6. Aal-Bundee

Aal-Bundee New Member

rroyo-Could be-am playing it now on a laptop P4 with an ATI Radeon X300-I will be able to test it out-I have taken an older desktop that was XP updated over 98SE back to just 98SE with a Geforce3 Ti 500-no net, just age appropriate gaming goodness-thanks again for your work-Aal

7. Aal-Bundee

Aal-Bundee New Member

rroyo,

On the dedicated 98SE machine-can play it normal screen but get the "binkw32.dll missing" when I try to go to full screen-tried solutions from these pages but no go....

I also have question about the found flamethrower schematic-I have the explosives/gunsmithy skills but the fire obstruction (in my inventory) isn't recognized on the schematic (the repeater rifle is)-looked on the forums but couldn't find an answer-is there something I am missing?

Aal

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

For your binkw32 problem, there was a thread about this.
    Here's what Xz wrote:

As for your problem:

Download these files:
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... ml?binkw32
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mss32

place them in here: Code:
    c:\windows\system32

Go to your start menu, and click run. type in cmd and hit enter.

in the commandline window that just appeared, type:
    Code:
    regsvr32 binkw32.dll

hit enter and type:
    Code:
    regsvr32 binkw32.dll

Hit enter again and try to load up Arcanum again.

-Xz

The flame thrower: I just examined the schematic listings, then did a quick test of the schematic, and had no problems.
    Try making another batch of fire obstruction.
    If that doesn't work, I suspect you have a glitched install of the main game.

9. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Hey rroyo! I dunno if you added this or if I just noticed it even though it was in Vanilla Arcanum, but there are two dead Wilderness Traders if you follow the track west of Black Root with some Void Lizards around them.

They have some pretty handy magickal gear and over 5, 000 gold on them!!

Were they always there?

10. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Holy cats...... I parked them out there about a year ago and forgot all about them.

Item 101 on the Doh! list.

Thanks for telling me.

11. wayne-scales

No problemo.

Were they there as some sort of quest or what?

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Nah - Just another monster encounter.

I've reset the gnome merchant's inventory but left the scene in place.

13. wayne-scales

Is it part of anything or is it just showing that creatures from the Void are escaping?

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I don't remember for certain, but I think it was the "Void creatures are escaping" scenario.

At that time I think I was still modifying the game just for me.

15. wayne-scales

Hey rroyo, did you add Xiao Caity? If so, do you know a lot of her dialogue is missing? What's the story with her?

Again, I don't know if you added her or if she was always there..

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Xiao Caty was a rather firey regular here, who in one thread*, described how she conquered most of Arcanum, then had a nice little cottage built just north of Roseborough to retire to. Based on her story, I added the cottage, her, and Bunny** to the game.

At the moment, they're just new NPCs to talk to. Xiao's story did give me a good idea for a large campaign that'll include her, but that's still quite a ways down the road.

In the real world, something came up in her life and it's been a while since we've heard from her.

I just checked Xiao's dlg file, and everything looks to be intact. Now, this was an early effort at creating a dialog and I had to keep it simple, so are you referring to the normal reaction dialog that most NPCs have?
    I didn't add it.

* Where Would You Live in Arcanum?
    ** HoL's Xiao and Bunny were friends so I added the Vorpal (She's just visiting). BTW: Bunny has a dialog too.

17. wayne-scales

When I talk to Xiao, she starts telling me her story, but her last two responses (I think) are completely blank.

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Exactly where did the dialog break off?
    Was it after "Then I made those town elders come out here and build me my damned cottage outside of town so I wouldn't have to answer fool questions from fools like you!!!!"?

Also - I was wrong about no reaction dialog. I did add that later.

19. wayne-scales

No, it never even got there. The last thing she says is about the Panarii religion and about how she blitzkreiged all the land between Caladon and Roseborough

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I can't see any breaks in the dlg lines, so I'm going to have to play-test that scene when I get home.

What race and alignment is your PC?

In case you're wondering, here's the rest of the dialog:

{80}{So, to sooth a few of the more nervous mucky-mucks, I allied myself with the Panarrii by agreeing to make it the official religion of the land. With the combined forces of my band and Alexander's Holy Knights, we blitzkrieged this entire area from Caladon to Roseborough.}{So, to sooth a few of the more nervous mucky-mucks, I allied myself with the Panarrii by agreeing to make it the official religion of the land. With the combined forces of my band and Alexander's Holy Knights, we blitzkrieged this entire area from Caladon to Roseborough.}{}{}{}{}
    {81}{And then?}{}{5}{}{84}{}
    {82}{So...?}{}{-4}{}{84}{}
    {84}{Then I made those town elders come out here and build me my damned cottage outside of town so I wouldn't have to answer fool questions from fools like you!!!!}{Then I made those town elders come out here and build me my damned cottage outside of town so I wouldn't have to answer fool questions from fools like you!!!!}{}{}{}{re-30}
    {85}{I think I should be going now....}{}{5}{}{87}{}
    {86}{Me go now....}{}{-4}{}{87}{}
    {87}{[With a quiet smile] Good idea.}{[With a quiet smile] Good idea.}{}{}{}{}
    {88}{E:}{}{1}{}{}{}
    {89}{}{}{}{}{}{}
    {95}{In that case, why don't you just wander back into town and see some more of the sights?}{In that case, why don't you just wander back into town and see some more of the sights?}{}{}{}{}
    {96}{E:}{}{1}{}{}{}
    {97}{}{}{}{}{}{}
    {98}{And that would be..?}{And that would be..?}{}{}{}{}
    {99}{What can you tell me about Roseborough?}{}{5}{}{103}{}
    {100}{Whut you know about dis place?}{}{-4}{}{103}{}
    {101}{What do you know about the Minsk Family?}{}{5}{}{107}{}
    {102}{Whut you know about Minnnsk fam-ly?}{}{-4}{}{107}{}
    {103}{Not much to tell, really. Small town, utterly dependant upon people with too much time on their hands who want to look at a circle of rocks.}{Not much to tell, really. Small town, utterly dependant upon people with too much time on their hands who want to look at a circle of rocks.}{}{}{}{}
    {104}{K:}{}{1}{}{98}{}
    {105}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}
    {106}{}{}{}{}{}{}
    {107}{Not as much as you were probably hoping for. The old man wrote a book and there was some kind of controversy about it. That's about it. The old man is buried in the cemetary just northeast of the inn. Why don't you go take a look?}{Not as much as you were probably hoping for. The old man wrote a book and there was some kind of controversy about it. That's about it. The old man is buried in the cemetary just northeast of the inn. Why don't you go take a look?}{}{}{}{}
    {108}{K:}{}{1}{}{98}{}
    {109}{E:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

Our Host!