Modding and the end of XP

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by The Pigeon, Oct 26, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Out of curiosity, what are other people going to with support for windows XP getting discontinued in the future?

2. Nataku

Nataku Member

Hello
    Sorry but I fear to misunderstand : you mean Arcanum only works on XP ? I'm currently modding on windows 7 and it's works perfectly. Actually, I saw the editor lag on some computers with windows 7, especially when they are powerful, that's why I a a low-performanced laptop :lol:
    I will continuing modding until I decide to stop, whatever making Arcanum run could become hard 0:) And I think it will be possible to find XP during long years, actually I still have a windows 98 CD (it's useless, I know)
    (Once again, I hope I understood :bunny: )

3. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

No worries, I meant more the massive lag on my own windows 7 machine makes the world ed basically unusable. What settings should I change to make it better?

4. Nataku

Nataku Member

Actually, my brother and I yet made some tests. I think that WorldEd lags with "powerful" computers but decreasing the screen resolution makes it work faster. My brother tried with 800*600 and it was faster (but the desktop becomes awful :x ) even it's not at a "perfect" speed.
    On my low-skilled computer, it is only lagging on the TD view. I think the simplest way is still to have a cheap computer :cry: But as I said it, decreasing the resolution should help you

5. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Thanks for letting me know, I tried the screen res thing with a few different resolutions:

In all cases I was using top down view on a large world map at max editor scroll speed.

800x600 - Really fast but a lot of screen space taken away. Can't see all of editor
    1280x800 - Still fast but could do with more space I reckon.
    1440x900 - Visuals jerk a little bit but speed is reasonable.
    1680x1050 - Lag is more noticable and starts to get annoying here. Don't use diagonal movement, is most annoying. Speed is not crippling but I'd probably not use this resolution.
    1920x1200 - Lags a lot, speed is slow and is very annoying. Not stationary slow but will make modding a pain especially when moving around a town of one or 2 dozen buildings.

I reckon 1440x900 is the max to use.

6. Nataku

Nataku Member

That seems to be a good choice : my screen is on 1366*768 :thumbup:

7. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Neat! Before I try it on my fast computer I'm going to see how Arcanum runs on a virtual machine my dad set up. I think the res thing would be good enough but I'd feel bad if I didn't give it a go after all the effort he went too. I wonder what the difference in performance will be.

One more thing on the screen res changes - make sure you don't change to a higher resolution when you've opened world ed at a low one. It'll cause the editor to not work. For that session at least.

Thanks again for telling me about it :) Combined with GoG this hopefully should keep Arcanum modding alive for as long as there are people who wish to do it.

Edit:

Haven't had much luck with XP mode for Windows 7. It worked for a while but stopped in recent months and can't figure out how to fix it. Eh, will just install on Win7 itself and drop the resolution, too much effort otherwise :p

Our Host!