Non pistols/riffles/bows-weapons using ammo

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Nataku, Jul 24, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Nataku

Nataku Member

Hello guys (it's me again !)
    I met a strange problem :
    I don't know how to make weapons using ammos. I looked at the Tesla rod but it didn't helped me :
    I chose the ammo type (battery or fuel), it makes appear the ammo icon on the bottom left corner (in the gold case) on the game but :
    -It doesn't not cosume ammo
    -Its useable without ammos (opposite of Tesla rod)

I fear this is hard coded but if anyone know how to do or have an idea of what I should do, please tell me.

2. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I can't help you with your problem myself, but I seem to recall that the pre UAP healing jacket didn't use batteries or could be used without them and that this was changed in the UAP.

Maybe you'll find something if you compare the two versions?

3. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

I'm thinking the game is treating the new weapon like the charged axe, or the pyrotechnic axe which don't use fuel or charges.

Ruda's method, although a reasonable and logical conclusion, would require the scouring of hundreds of files to figure out how he got the healing jacket to work. For all we know, Drog could've used a strange method witha conjunction of another or several files. But, it is a good start.

Now, before I start contemplating this problem and start researching, I want to know if your making a new weapon or modifying an existing one?

4. Nataku

Nataku Member

These are two new weapons :
    A 2-handed sword which uses batteries (I think a modified air sword)
    A axe which uses fuel (probably a quality axe)

The difference between pyrotechnic axe is that it make the ammo icon appears. I think the only matter is that I don't know how to define how many ammo the weapon will use, and the default value is probably zero.

For the healing jacket, I guess it's hard-coded by Drog ? I will take a look but unfortunately, I doubt I will be able to find anything.

5. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

Well then, I'll mess around with arcanum factory to see if I can get something to work. I'll let you know my results.

The only problem I can see that's going to arise is that unlike the guns or bows, hand weapons are still functional as normal melee weapons without ammo. Maybe researching the shocking staff will help lead to some results since that's a melee weapon that requires
    Batteries to shock people.

6. Nataku

Nataku Member

I don't know if it has been fixed by a patch but my shocking staff doesn't require batteries, neither it shocks people. But the Tesla Rod need batteries and it's a "hand weapon" (even it has a range). The matter is :
    -It's a rod, I can't make a sword with it
    -It has not real script, his capacity of consuming batteries is probably coded in the proto file
    I wonder if we can adapt this property to a sword or transform it for fuel but it should be possible. (Personally, I have no informatic knowledges, I just know use existent wares. :oops:

7. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

So, after messing with ArcanumFactory, I can say that I've had some success, although not quite as good as I hoped.

This is with the UAP installed though, so it may be a little different.

This is my first weapon test. I highlight all the important values with a red box.

[​IMG]

So here's a mace I made in Arcanumfactory. It uses fuel and does some fire damage. The best part is, it actually works. Fuel consumption is working, and damage seems to be working. The problem is, it becomes absolutely useless when your out of fuel, meaning it can't be used as an ordinary mace. So basically, when your out of fuel, your guy is swinging the weapon but nothing even happens.

On to test 2...

[​IMG]

This one is a little interesting. I managed to get this weapon to work as a shocking weapon, AND it functions as a regular weapon as well. What I did was I took a look at the shocking staff to see what they did (this weapon works for me in my game..) and it turns out the weapon uses a PREMADE SPELL! Notice how even though I defined the ammo it uses, I told it to consume none. This is because the premade spell for the shocking staff already consumes batteries. Also, the negative 1 in the spell mana box is important, I just forgot to highlight it. :p

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the shocking spell consumes 5 batteries every hit, so its definitely not very viable.

On the bright side, I've come to the conclusion that you can make your OWN spells and apply them to your weapons for your desired results. I believe there's a guide to making spells floating around here on TA somewhere, but I've never read it.

Anyhow, I hope this helps, and good luck! :)

8. Nataku

Nataku Member

Yeah, thanks a lot :
    This help me considerably.
    -I will take a look at the shocking staff spell that I noticed once. I guess it's possible, as you say it, creating new spells with the good ammo type and the good consummation.
    -For the matter of out of ammo, it doesn't matter me. We can reasonably consider that kind of weapon is optimized for an electric uses for example and the PC can't handle it without it.

Just one question : with Arcanum factory are you created protos ? Or could you just modify one weapon placed in the game ?

Thank you for help :heart:

9. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

I made completely new protos! :D

You can even change existing protos with arcanum factory if you desire. I must say, filthyjack did a wonderful job with this tool, and your custom made items even show up in worlded. The tool even comes with custom art options, a nifty install option, and an uninstall option. You can even add your items to shops and inventory sets! :-o

This is now my go to tool for proto editing and weapon\armor\potion making if I so desire! :)

FilthyJack likes this.
  10. Nataku

Nataku Member

Okay, thanks you. I will try it. :thumbup:

11. Nataku

Nataku Member

Okay. I did test by myself waiting to have my brother's computer.
    The second way seems to be the best but... where did you saw shocking staff consumed 5 batteries. I tried with a shocking staff and with a sword with the shocking staff's spell and the two have the same result : THIS WEAPON IS CLEARLY SCANDALOUS !
    After one it, it consume permanently batteries and shock the target until his death. His life disappear really really too quickly.
    What the heck ? I re-install the true version of Arcanum (without any patch or modifications except the one necessary for my module.

So :
    -The first solution isn't a matter for me, as I said earlier.
    -The second solution, if I create my own spells, seems to be perfect (except that I have to solve this matter). For that second solution, Arcanum Factory isn't compulsory even I would like to test it. The spell quote I wrote is perfect except the fact it is repeated more than once per hit. I guess the matter is on the 10350 line.
    Once again, thanks for your help

12. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

@Xayvong

Could you send me a link to that tool? I know someone showed me a link for an item tool months ago but it's been so long since I was on I forget which post it was :S

Edit:
    I did read viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18570 but the links given don't work.

13. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

Really? How interesting, I just noticed that I would kill someone with about 3-4 hits and it would consume about 15-20 batteries, so I just assumed it was using about 5 batteries.

Your welcome. :D As a fellow Arcanum enthusiast, it's the least I can do to help.

Of course. Ironically, it's been uploaded to the downloads section here on TA, but for some reason they failed to mention that it was uploaded here. :roll:

Anyhow, I had actually all but given up on the tool until one day I was randomly browsing through the modding tools and BAM! It was there!

heres the link.

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/ ... ry-1-0.zip

But no, seriously, I wish someone had informed us that it had been uploaded here.

14. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Awesome! Thank you. Is there anything I should know about using it? Like if I want to see my creature in world ed when making a custom monster I had to delete the prototype files first so they'd all get recreated i think. Stuff like that.

15. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

From my experience, items you make show up directly in worlded in the proper caregories without any extra modification. Just make sure you give the items you make a unique name so that they're easier to find :p . I dont think you can make npc or critters in arcanum factory though...

16. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

That's ok, I know how to create critters already, just interested in the other stuff. Thanks for your help :)

17. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

Not a problem. Speaking of proto editing and what not, you working on any interesting project's pigeon? I know nataku is working on cross roads and he just updated some screen shots which looks really fun. Just have to wait for the English translation :D

18. Nataku

Nataku Member

CrossRoad (with no S :p ).
    Unfortunately, the places on the last screenshots won't be translated (too much dialogs).

-Does anyone understood why this spell, when it's written as "Spell 1" (Item/Edit) is called when the critter hit ? It doesn't work like that with other spells on this slot.
    I would like a weapon make a Molotov cocktail when critter attacks, I tried to substitute some line of that spell to a new one with Molotov lines but it doesn't work (I thought it was coded on the first line but it doesn't cast the new spell).
    -And if someone could give me how to code the fuel instead of the batteries.
    -And last question (even I already asked it) : why this spell continues until the extra object's death ? I would like it just work one time.
    Thanks. 0:)

19. Xayvong

Xayvong Member

Darn, I wish I could help you here nataku, but making spells is out of my understanding. I'm pretty sure Leonidas [I think thats how you spell his name] could help you, since he's the one who wrote the guide to making spells.

20. Nataku

Nataku Member

I finally guess it was because it's written "ItemTriggers: Target_Hit | Target_Attacker". I will try to modify it for making a Molotov cocktail's effect.

I found a "handed-fix" solution. If someone is insterested, I wrote it one the spell tutorial :
    I still need it but I doubt anyone knows because it's not written in any spell.

Our Host!