Any random encounter mods?

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Mr. Gone, Apr 19, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mr. Gone

Mr. Gone New Member

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask for this. I'm looking for a mod I used to have that made random encounters more difficult as your character earned levels. The thing I remember the most is that orc encounters between Tarant and Ashbury would spawn increasing amounts of apes. xD I don't have it now, and I couldn't find it.

On the other hand, any mod that provides more or different random encounters would be great.

I'm using rroyo's WIP, in case that's important.

2. FilthyJack

FilthyJack Member Supporter

I think there are at least 2 of them in the 'Dimensions of Arcanum' download section:

molhand.zip
    orcbandit.zip

But I don't know if it will work with AWIP since it modifies a bunch of stuff in the game.

3. Mr. Gone

Mr. Gone New Member

Random encounters

Wow! I haven't checked them out yet, but, judging by their descriptions, I think those might be the ones! :D Thanks a lot!

It never occured to me that they'd be classified as "hacks", so I never checked that part of the download section.

I'll try them out later. The files they edit seem harmless enough... I really hope they work with WIP. :)

--------------------

Edit:

Yes! These are the ones! I haven't seen the yetis appear yet, but it might have to do with my character's level. Other than that, everything is as I remember. And the better news is that it works with rroyo's WIP. Both hacks need you to create the folders dlg and scr in the data folder and place the files there. Neither of those folders exist with WIP installed, so nothing is overwritten.

Thanks again! :)

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Re: Random encounters

It's a bit more complicated than that.

Arcanum stores its files in .dat files, which act like packed data folders themselves. Now, by placing anything in the data folder, you force the game to use files from the folder rather than their equivalents in the .dat files.

The files from the molhand and orcbandit hacks do reversibly overwrite respective files the AWIP's .dat file. Still, those are rather simple files which shouldn't cause any problems. If they will, simple remove them from the data folder and things will be back to normal.

5. Mr. Gone

Mr. Gone New Member

Thanks for the explanation and the warning. If anything happens, I'll know what to try. :thumbup:

Our Host!