Modding Tool: Arcanum Factory 1.4.1 (01-2020)

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by FilthyJack, Apr 15, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Nataku

Nataku Member

Re: Modding Tool: Arcanum Factory 1.2 (New Version)

Okay, je testerai ça très vite (cependant, pour l'apperçu, je ne rentrerai pas tous mes arts car j'ai ai déjà fait trois tonnes)

Dernière précision : les arts au delà de 9200 restent valides pour les generic, je les utilise depuis longtemps. C'est juste que Troika s'est arrêté à 9193 (je crois) et n'a pas eu besoin de la suite (pour ma part j'en suis à 9346).

2. FilthyJack

FilthyJack Member Supporter

Au dela de 9200 sont valides mais pas selectionables dans factory ;) (enfin je croi)

*Sorry we're going to PM...

3. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Will this work in Windows 8?

4. FilthyJack

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the latest windows 8 but there is no reason it shouldn't work, factory was designed on windows 7 (which is pretty recent) so it should work fine, factory is compatible with pretty much everything (old/recent Win, Linux wine/Vbox), the xp/wine problem was just a small programming error, basically if you can run Arcanum you can run Factory.

If it doesn't work then you always have the possibility to right click the program and set compatibility mode to xp/7 or whatever, to avoid problems the factory should be extracted inside Arcanum\ folder or given read/write access to it. Please tell me if there's anything going wrong in Windows 8 I'll gladly fix that.

Hope you'll have fun with it :)

5. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Thank you :D I'll give it a shot sometime this week/weekend and let you know. The tool sounds very appealing, I know I spent long enough getting good enough to make custom monsters work consistently, so avoiding hex and protos for armour and weapons is a godsend :).

6. FilthyJack

If you made hex modifications, factory will use your version of Arcanum.exe (1074+UAP compatible) and patch the ranges for weapons/armors/food/schematics/effects only. It will keep any other modification you made to the exe, that includes high-res.

I recommend making a backup of your custom work in case factory overwrites it (data folder).

Special thanks to Nataku for the feedback on modifying/customizing Factory to work with his already existing module files. Btw the module is awesome it includes a bunch of custom art and original areas!

7. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Thanks for letting me know! I'll be sure to back up my stuff :)

Which reminds me, I need to get around to installing this on my Windows 8 computer >_< So many hobbies+work, so little time! :p

8. New Kid

New Kid New Member

Hello, I've just gotten back into arcanum and decided to try out Arcanum Factory. I'm not a modder at all and I don't know how to code, but I've been able to figure out the basics by messing around. I have been having some trouble with armors though, and was wondering if someone could help me out. Basically, I can't make sized armor schematics. I check the "sized item box" and fill in all the blanks, but when I save it, it reverts back to a non-sized item, and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Anyone?

9. FilthyJack

Im sorry for the late reply I don't check the forums often these days.

Im investigating a possible bug, I'll come up with a fix if that's the case.
    Thank you very much for reporting this, this may be a good time to make a quick update.

------

Alright I think I totally forgot to add the code to save the sized items, it would display sized items correctly but when you save it, it completely forgets about additional compos.

So I had to add the code. If you'd like to give it another try, the official download link now contains the fix for that particular issue. You only need to replace ArcanumFactory.exe if you want to keep your previous work. Thanks again for the report !

Have fun :)

10. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

An update eh? Neat! I must admit it's been some time since I did Arcanum stuff, but I've been meaning to get back in. Maybe in a some weeks from now after my trip to Japan.

11. FilthyJack

Japan is awesome, I went to Tokyo once and didn't regret it, have fun man :D

I may as well keep you guys informed on what's coming next.

-Custom NPCs/Followers is the main target for the update. I'm still working on cracking the values but I'm also thinking about giving a way to put them in the game where you want.

-I finally decided to implement a spell editor, Oracle asked for it years ago and many ppl want to mess with it. The idea of creating items like Ink or Blood and also Scroll Paper to make scroll schematics is fun. But also create your own obscure scrolls with funny effects. But let's be clear, if you create spells you will only be able to make scrolls or associate them to items, not the regular spell school ones due to engine limitations.

-Leonidus asked for a total control on game descriptions etc, but I didn't make it because it would make Factory dependent on language. As it is now that would be very easy for anyone to adapt it to their own language. I'll probably add some kind of language file extraction at setup and in the general settings menu, this way you will be able to safely modify your own local descriptions.

-I have been contacted by a developper who wants to crack .sec and .mob files, unfortunately I'm not really done with .pro yet so I can't spend too much time on this, if anyone has some infos on these please share it :)

-I did send a message to the developper of Arcanum today in an attempt to get some old docs or file format specs. I'll be waiting for a reply but I don't have high hopes.

Cheers :D

12. Nataku

Nataku Member

Modding the "learnable" spells is quite easy, it will just erase one spell to add another one. (Who care about deleting divination :p ).

But where did you find an adress for your message ? :-o

13. FilthyJack

Yeah I meant adding learnable spells is limited but you could totally edit / modify existing spells.

About contacting the developper, I tried to send a message on public and professionnal mails. But I doubt I will have a positive answer, if any at all. But you never know unless you try so we'll see. I still have the address of one of his internet aquaintance and will try to ask him next if it doesn't work.

On a side note, if you'd like to see something in particular added to Arcanum Factory then please tell me, I'll consider implementing it in the next release. :)

14. Sagat91

Sagat91 New Member

Hi FilthyJack,

first of all, thank you for this tool !!! :-o It's very nice to create "new" items.

But my problem is that I cannot create a throw weapon with boomerang. :S
    I clicked on "Boomerang" but it didn't work ingame.
    Is this a general problem or it's a bug....or I am too dump? :ponder:

And the "HELP" button on "Scripts"(Weapon Factory) doesn't work.

thanks in advance

Sagat91

15. FilthyJack

Hello Sagat91,

My guess is that you are using the Art from another kind of weapon, using a boomerang template as a base is always safer.

Arcanum engine defines the type of the weapon by its ART. If you used the art of a sword it will be considered a sword in game, even if it's not supposed to, the equipement slot is also determined by ART. It must have both "Throwable" and "Boomerang" box checked and appropriate Art Type. You can't just check these boxes on a sword for example. (I will change that in next update).

So, basically if you are using the art from another weapon type, use a boomerang Template, or load a boomerang game Proto.
    Then, create a custom Weapon Art Set, select any boomerang weapon from the 'Skin' Box, then check 'Use Game Art' and browse to the desired art. This way you can make a boomerang using other non-boomerang weapons art.

If none of this work please tell me, I'll have a closer look at the code.
    Thanks for the Help button on weapons scripts page, I forgot to link to the text file :frownyes:

Cheers!

16. Sagat91

Sagat91 New Member

Thanks for fast reply and thanks for help! :heart: :thumbup:

Hmm... I could load a boomerang proto but I don't know which proto it is. :S
    I've tried first with "Throwing Dagger" because it's near Boomerang/Chakram => changed as you said => don't work.
    Next I've tried with "Sword" and changed as you said => it works?!
    ...very strange... :ponder: and at the same time wonderful :)

I cannot choose "Boomerang/Chakram" Template at Weapon Factory.^^

FilthyJack wrote:
    > On a side note, if you'd like to see something in particular added to Arcanum Factory
    > then please tell me, I'll consider implementing it in the next release. :)

It would be nice when "Boomerang/Chakram" Template exists next update. =)
    A Soundset textfile for Weapon Factory will be also nice but I don't know if it is possible. (I don't know Soundset numbers :( )

"HELP" button on Armor Factory and Item Factory also don't work.

17. FilthyJack

Hey,

Another thing I forgot to add, my apologies, the template will be added and the links will work.

If you want to open a game weapon, you can check the 'Name' box for a boomerang/shakram and add 20 to the number, then go to 'Raw Open' and open the file with that number. Then use your regular save to make it a new weapon.

I have left the throwable/boomerang/can use/need target boxes and other things so people can experiment with it, but the proper usage should be to have a template of the same type and corresponding art.

Btw the Material stat on items is actually what determines the sound it makes on impact, drop etc if I remember correctly. I'll see what I can do with soundsets, but you can already load game weapons and copy those values. If you're talking about music and spoken dialogs then it's a bit harder, but I think Crypton did release a voiced dialog generator.

Hope this helps, thanks for reporting this :)

-----------------------------------

I have been busy trying to finish the "followers auto-level" mod lately, and I thought I would include some other engine hacks from the community which were all documented but never implemented in mod installer or something.

And I ended up including a full campaign extractor/mod maker and a launcher with all commandline options. Basically the complete engine/campaign editing tool.

[​IMG]

Dowload: Arcanum Community Mods

I hope this will keep you busy while I'm working on Factory ;)

18. Sagat91

Sagat91 New Member

Hi,

FilthyJack wrote:
    > If you want to open a game weapon, you can check the 'Name' box for a boomerang/shakram
    > and add 20 to the number, then go to 'Raw Open' and open the file with that number.
    > Then use your regular save to make it a new weapon.

I hear it for the first time. :lol:

Thanks for the hint. =)

Last two questions.
    I cannot use Spells at my Weapons/Armors. I click for example 'Major Healing' or 'Teleport' but nothing happens. :S What I'm doing wrong? :ponder:
    I click on Tools => 'Savegame Editor (DKoepp)' or any from the contextual menu but nothing happens. Is it normal or a bug?

19. FilthyJack

Thanks to Dark Elf for the stickie,

Sorry for the late reply:

The 'Tools' tab will only be active if you have downloaded the additional utilities pack, and dropped the utilities folder inside ArcanumFactory/Factory as mentionned at the end of the first post.

A few examples:

On armors : If you create a ring and add a spell to it, put '-1' in spell mana box, the spell can then be triggered infinitely by putting the ring in a quickslot, can't equip it at the same time.

On weapons, the spells (like the normal magic), will only appear when you click the small magick icon on the quickslot bar which appears when the weapon is equipped.

Some other spells like Tech: Shocking Staff, are automatically triggered on hit.

If you can see the icon or the effect in-game but it doesn't cast the spell when clicked, maybe you don't have the required stats to cast it, or you didn't put enough 'spell mana' or don't have enough 'fatigue' in game.

20. The Pigeon

The Pigeon Member

Thanks FilthyJack :)

My trip was most nifty. I went to Fukuoka to site see with my (now) fiance who lives there. I think maybe tomorrow I'll get into a bit of modding. It's weird but trying to do a pure dialogue option for my mod has made it mentally quite difficult to begin. I keep finding other things to do then the mod when I really do want to keep going. If the dialogue was a part of the combat section rather then also being it's own pure path I'd have probably have finished my mod by now instead of having so far to go. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and finish the dialogue part even if it's not very good so I can go over it again and see what needs to be changed once I can look at it all in it's entirety.

Our Host!