Possible Background Effects

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Ruda, Mar 24, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Is it possible for custom backgrounds to have effects that goes beyond stats? Can I, for example, have dialogue options or quests for certain backgrounds only or to include reaction modifiers for certain factions. I'm currently working on a little something on the war between Cumbria and Tarant and I want to limit the backgrounds to "Cumbrian", "Tarantian" and possibly an unaligned one. It would be great for Cumbrians to be suspicious towards Tarantians and vice versa. Or to have a Tarantian only dialogue option "Where I'm from, we tend to shoot unionizers on sight" or something similar, enabling different paths in different quests. Is any of this possible? And if so, how do I do it?

2. Nataku

Nataku Member

Hello,
    I saw no lines script for what you're wanting doing. It's possible for reputations but it's okay.
    One way you could use is including it in an artificial dialogue at the beginning, each background could have a numeric code the ^layer must give before beginning the mod. It's quite particular but I don't think it could be a matter for players...

3. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

I do remember seeing something about city specific reputations if you commit too many heinous crimes, and that sounds similar to what you want, so you could probably make it happen.

4. Nataku

Nataku Member

Re:

There is a script line which check reputations but there is no for backgrounds

5. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I was trying to avoid any artificial dialogue, but if that's the only option it's no biggie. I had another idea where the different backgrounds would each give the player a different item, which is checked in the first dialogue. The player will have three different options saying the same thing ("Hello" or such) each requiring a different item (meaning only one is visible at any given time). They all grant a starting reputation matching your chosen background and then the item is removed from the game.
    That should work, right? It'll be the same end result, but artificial dialogue is avoided.

6. Nataku

Nataku Member

Yeah, it's really a good idea and you can check and delete that item by a script (you don't compulsory need an initial dialog).
    The only point is that the player will see it in its inventory except if you delete the shop map (and if he really want be a pain, he can throw it away but in this case he doesn't play a module :p ).
    You should use a really special art (like the red ? or something like like) and explain it in the readme. Whatever, I think it's a good idea and it delete the dialog.
    Congratulations, I look forward to play to your mod :partyhat:

7. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Thanks a lot for the help, it's appreciated. Forgot to mention that earlier.
    Heh, don't get your hopes up just yet. I'm pretty new to all of this and at the end of the day I have but an hour or two to spare for any modding endeavors. Still, progress is being made...

8. Nataku

Nataku Member

Everything has a beginning, even a module :heart:

Our Host!