Hex Editing Save Files

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by thelogicalghost, Jun 25, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. thelogicalghost

thelogicalghost New Member

I tried following the instructions here:

http://www.wireframeink.50megs.com/hex_edit_arcanum.htm

I found the right file with my hex editor and, as the guide recommended, searched for "14 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 FF FF FF 0F" ... but the hex editor claimed no such string existed. It did find plenty of lines almost exactly as above except with "00" instead of "03," but none of them were prefixed by the sort of format the guide suggested, with level numbers and so forth.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and how to find the right string. Is it because GOG changed the save file format?

Please and thank you!

2. MissSea

MissSea New Member

EDIT: Just played around with my own profile and found the "14 ... 0F" is us, regardless of age or race. Forget the other stuff. Pay attention to your fate points and your character points. Don't forget to convert fate or character points if they're over 9 to hexadecimals -- you can find an online converter. Personally, I had one of each before I started to mess with with the hex code. I found three characters, but none of them were female, so I knew number four was me.

What I did: I converted my level, my fate points and my character points into HEX. Pretty easy because FP and CP were only 1. Then I used an online converter to figure out my level. Then I "recreated" the guide's string using my information for the guide's info. I searched the first bit "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0B 00 00 00" (0B is my level -- 11). I found four characters. From there, I matched up FP, CP and finally gender.

Good luck!
    MissSea

Our Host!