ArtGen - Tool for creating Art files

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Crypton, Nov 8, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Far out! You decided to release it. Thank you. :thumbup:

I'll be road-testing this as soon as I can.

3. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Finally, something that doesn't require fiddling with a hex editor. I would test this, if I had Arcanum installed. Maybe later.

EDIT: I withhold my judgement.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

5. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

6. Phadech

Phadech New Member

7. Crypton

Crypton Member

Its nice to see some support here :) Its Christmas already?

What about suggestions? rroyo gave me some already :p For example, is anybody interested in facade generator? which will break one image into tiles and save it as facade?:)

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Facade creator?: HELL YEAH!!!!!!! :D

Planning to add it to ArtGen?

9. Crypton

Crypton Member

Sure why not :) in next version, just need to know if its interesting stuff for somebody, so I wont waste my short life :D

10. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Facades would be definitely interesting.

Also, what about fonts? Can you make a tool that generates an Arcanum font based on one of the fonts that you have installed in your system? I have all the original fonts used in the game, I'd love to render them at higher resolution for use with the high resolution patch. Also, this would be useful for translation purposes, e.g. making a Chinese or Korean version (I remember getting a few e-mails from a Chinese translation team, not sure if they ever solved the font problem).

11. Charonte

Charonte Member

Hang on, so you are Drog?

12. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Old news, Charonte, go back to News Forum.

I applaud you on actually doing something with this project. If you, for whatever random reason, require aid in the future that involves writing something or some minor acting, I'd be willing to invest times in this sort of thing.

13. Charonte

Charonte Member

Not what I meant; he was adamant about 'just roleplaying' Drog before and admitted to recieving email related with Arcanum. Anyway

I meant to say thanks for this, Crypton. I might get some use out of it over the holidays.

14. klinikk

klinikk New Member

This really looks great! You did a remarkable job!

15. Crypton

Crypton Member

Its possible, I've did some bitmap font generator for OpenArcanum engine some time ago, it makes from ttf a bmp, so I can easily modify that sources for ArtGen. The thing is that this font generator will be used only once, you generate font and you dont need this feature anymore, so its really not worth to waste time on such feature, when I dont even know if it will be useful for more people.

Thank you, I'll keep your offer in my mind :lol:

16. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

So is it easy or not?

Also, you seem to be overly concerned with how many people are going to use your programs/patches. I remember you talking about a 1024x768 mod for Arcanum and making some progress on it (there was a thread with a poll). However, you abandoned the idea because 'not many people voted PLEASE DO IT'. Well, guess what, Drog went ahead and made a fully working high resolution patch and it is now used by almost everyone.

This is your work and your call, obviously. But if you want to make us beg for it, then you may as well take your toys and go home.

17. Crypton

Crypton Member

Sure its easy, you can do that by your self, if you think that its not wasting of your time... I will get you at least one a tip, search for "bitmap font" or "ttf2bmp" :)

I think that there is nothing bad about wanting to know how many people wants something, especially when you cannot effort waste your time by working on something that you are not sure that will be useful to you or somebody else, and if they are lazy to write one post with short request, or even click on vote, then I'm sorry, but they cannot expect that I start working/continuing on something that I'm not interested in...

What I always do, is that I start working on something, then I ask others if its interesting for them, and if I see that they are not interested, or its interesting only for few people, why I should continue working on that?

This font feature, atm, it will be useful only for you, so its wasting of time :)

Oh, about toys, I have some, and at least my barbie is human :lol:

18. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

As opposed to a space-alien?

19. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Both facades and fonts are crucial features, since there's simply no way to produce these assets currently. Running polls and trying to calculate how many of the forum-goers are going to use them or not sounds more like attention whoring and/or inability to deliver, especially considering how small the Arcanum community is. If you simply don't want to work on the program/don't have time for it, then don't ask for suggestions 'for the new version'.

I wouldn't be so vocal about it, if this was the first time you brought it up, but it's more of a tendency now. And it's annoying, since it sounds more like 'I'm not doing anything until you give me a blowjob'. Well, we won't. This community is terribly small and you aren't going to win any respect by running polls for non-existent features/programs/patches/whatever. I'm sure you have noticed that the warm reactions in this thread are precisely because you did release something useful instead of your usual grandeur plans/attention whoring/whining.

20. Gjerdev Ankarus

Gjerdev Ankarus New Member

I think he meant...

Wait, what the hell are you talking about? (Incidentally, don't let Mattel get the idea to make alien barbies. Kids are fucked up enough, thanks.)

Aside from that, thanks for the software.

Our Host!