hex editors

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by Shota Shernokavich, Aug 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Shota Shernokavich

Shota Shernokavich New Member

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

3. theorel

theorel New Member

4. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Phew! That's a load off all our minds!

5. Shota Shernokavich

lol, thanks

do i need to know how to code to be able to use this effectively?

edit: ah ok i opened the arcanum.exe using it, and got a bunch of code that looks like the proto docs from the download section. do i go from there, or is there another file that i need to open as well?

6. theorel

theorel New Member

What are you trying to edit?
    If you're trying to edit weapons and armor and stuff, you want to open the .pro files in Arcanum/data/proto
    The number corresponds to the number in description.mes + 20
    There may be another way to edit them, but I am not familiar with it.
    You don't need to know how to program, but a basic knowledge of how binary bits are used to encode things is helpful in understanding what's going on(not necessary though).

7. Shota Shernokavich

thanks guys, but I think i'll give this more complicated stuff a shot after im done a good bit of the actual modding.

ok, now for my second question.

what is the art & palette number for wyverns? i've searched through the monster and unique files several times but cant find it.

8. theorel

theorel New Member

Someone else may be better able to help, as there may be multiple ways to do this. However, here's what I can find.
    The Wyvern is the Dragon, art file is dgnuwXX.art, located under unique npcs, in uniquenpcs.mes number 20...if you wanted to change that.
    The palette as far as I know is actually contained in the art file itself. The palettes are located in hex starting at addresses 84, 484, 884, and C84.
    They occupy 1024 characters.
    I'm not sure exactly what your goals are, but if you say, had a different set of 4 palettes to load in, that worked for those bitmaps, you could copy them out of the bitmaps(if you start the palette with 0000ff(seen ff0000 in the hex editor) you can find it, it's pretty early in the file) and into the art files using xvi32. Also, in conjunction with artview you can load in a new picture, if that's what you wanted to do, by changing the palette manually first, then loading the picture in artview.
    This is the method I've used so far to create new art(which I've done minimally) there's probably a better way out there than my hack.
    Anyways, if this isn't what you want to do, or you do want to do it and have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them if I can.

Our Host!