Mr. Franklin likes bearded women

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by NamelessOne, Jun 25, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

I gave female dwarf a try because it's definitely something new after trying all normally available races and I found out something interesting. There is female dwarf only quest in the game! You can find it at Madam Lil's. Guess the rumors about game being made for all gender/race combinations was true. I just wonder how much unique dialogue and things there are for normally inaccessible genders?

I know this maybe old news for some, but I don't think there has ever been in-depth discussion of this.

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

That's very cool news, good find NamelessOne! Is it just the same Mr Franklin quest (where he acts like a perve and you have to sleep with him) with extra dialogue or is it something entirely different?

3. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

The quest exist for other races too? I thought it was for dwarves since I have never got that quest as human or (half) elf. Maybe it can be done by half-orcs too? It's been long time since I played half-orc female, so I'm not sure. Might have forgotten that, but I'm pretty sure I have never got that quest before. Might be because if it's for half-orcs also, it probably requires high beauty and high beauty half-orc would be pain to make points wise.

I'm not sure if the quest had unique dialogue for a dwarf, but Madam Lil kept saying that he has unusual tastes and given dwarven women are extremely rare I thought it was for dwarves only. Regardless, it shows that there is atleast one dialogue condition that is triggered specifically by dwarf female (thus evidence that the game was at some point designed for female dwarves) even if it's not unique.

Edit:
    After digging up a bit I notice that old (and more incomplete than gamebanshee) Mike's RPG center walkthrough and other older sources mentions it being general female quest and the usual necklace quest being male only (even if it certainly isn't), so it might be that with alternative dialogue as human or elf females hardly qualify as unusual. Oddly enough, Gamebanshee doesn't mention the quest at all despite being more complete (far from perfect though) generally. Maybe the quest was patched out long ago for some strange reason (censorship in my Arcanum?) since I don't remember triggering it with human or elf females? Could be also that it has some unusual skill/stat check though, but only stat my female dwarf had high at that point was int and I really doubt it's that.

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Hmmm it is weird that it isn't mentioned on Gamebanshee as they're usually quite comprehensive, but as far as I'm aware the quest is open to all women and was never restored back into the game by Drog or patched out because of censorship. I also don't think it has any requirements - you can be as ugly or as unlikable as you please and that pervert Franklin will still want a slice.

I guess this means that the dialogue is just dwarf female specific and doesn't have a bearing on the quest; it would be interesting to see if the other scrapped female races (half ogres, halflings and gnomes) get unique dialogue - both for this quest and throughout the game. I know that Madam Lil's is a particularly good spot for unique race dialogue - for example if you're a halfling male and you talk to Bunny with the right dialogue she'll actually bring up foot sex, much to my pleasure!

Again this was a good catch, if I'm feeling motivated enough and can tear myself away from Skyrim I might do a preliminary test of what other scrapped female race dialogue can be found (you'd imagine the Wheel Clan would have something for dwarf women for example).

5. NamelessOne

NamelessOne New Member

I'm not 100% sure if the dialogue is unique to a dwarf since my test human female with seems to oddly produce very similiar dialogue and I'm able to get the quest. Too bad I didn't screenshot it, but quick look on dialogue file itself seems to confirm it.

Also that quest oddly enough isn't always available for female characters and you get necklace quest instead. That is why I got excited as I had forgotten it's existence and thought it was unique. I can swear I didn't get it at all last time with female elf mage several months ago and half-elf technologist about a year ago and my screenshots confirm that. I have my suspicions that it might be dependent on level since I'm usually relatively high level when I reach Tarant because I like to take the Dernholm route. Could be that it's somehow blocked for elves too, but that doesn't really make any sense if it's supposed to be available for any character tagged female. Then again Madam Lil is kind of strange case when it comes to quests and it's seems to be hard to get them all. For example I don't even remember anymore how to get the Halster present quest since it seems to skip straight into Medallion of Beauty after the debt quest.

I noticed it though that Willow has unique dialogue for female dwarf on her beard, but it might be that it's also in male dialogue as it's been while since I played anything dwarven. Lately been doing elves.

Will report if I notice anything unusual. I'm also planning to do female gnome at some point and female half-ogre. Not sure about halfing, but might if I get bored.

Edit:
    With bit more of a digging I found out that someone who understands dialogue files better than I do (I haven't researched how racial and other modifiers are presented in them) has looked on this before and apparently there seems to be unique dialogue for female dwarf like I suspected:
    http://terra-arcanum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14119

Also, I looked up on Willow and it seems I finally found hard evidence:
    {35}{I'm Willow... Would you like me to do anything for you? Oh! Your beard is so handsome... can I touch it?}
    {I'm Willow... Would you like me to do anything for you? Oh! Your beard is so beautiful... can I touch it?}{}{}{}{}
    {53}{I'm Willow. Would you like me to do anything for you, mister gnome?}
    {I'm Willow. Would you like me to do anything for you, mistress gnome?}{}{}{}{}

Just a one word differences, but notable difference regardless and there's a good possibility there's more. Don't want to spoil myself too much though, but it is indeed really exciting to find something new in a game you have played periodically for about 13 years. This discussions also makes me wonder whether the beta has animations for missing females since I think they were cut only for space reasons. Sadly, it seems to be lost forever.

Our Host!