How do you think real time stacks up to turn based?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Oct 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I've played exclusively real time since I first owned Arcanum, but lately I've been switching on turn based and seeing how it compares to real time for certain fights. To me it seems a great deal easier, as with a decent speed and high strength/strong spells/a good ranged weapon the enemies drop like flies - whereas in real time even if you dispatch one enemy quickly his buddy has been beating you in the face the whole time so you take a lot more damage. Furthermore, combat management becomes more tricky in real time as you have to select relevant spells on and use them on enemies whilst they are already mangling you and even then you might miss click and wind up dead.

The standard argument is that turn based combat is always more tactical then real time, but to me it only seems more formulaic; I like the nature of real time and how you have to react quickly and do more things of the fly. What's your opinion? Do you think turn based and real time should have ever been shoehorned into a single game? It feels like with aRPGs like Diablo II are in a way easier as the interface was simplified enough to make real time combat work well, whereas Arcanum with it's unholy union has turn based that is too easy and real time that, mainly because of the interface, for many would be too hard.

2. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

The game was originally designed to be turn-based only, just like the first 2 Fallout games. However, if I remember correctly, Sierra demanded a real-time option, and thus what we have now was hacked together. I'll be honest, I do not like real-time combat. It plays out too fast, especially with involvement of fast weapons. The balance is also skewed greatly.

3. Leonidus

Leonidus Member

Real time is way easier because of how easy it is to abuse. Kiting enemies, super easy. Ranged weapon allies can kill a lot of things before they even have a chance to hit you. Knockdown animation can be cancelled by clicking to move somewhere. Cast time on spells is super low so you can barrage monsters with 20 harms before they get to you. High weaponspeed animations look completely ridiculous too.

Note that all of that isn't with any kind of true attempt to exploit the game, it's just basic real time combat mechanics. That's the difference between what you have to do in turn based vs real time. Real time just lets you cheat inherently.

It's just silly, really.

The problem with turn based is it's much less exciting. But it is more strategic, and that is in the end what makes it so much better.

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I don't know, I never found kiting to be very easy - most enemies come at you like they're rage zombies from 28 Days Later so trying to side step them so their attacks don't land never usually works for me (unless they are particularly slow). For ranged weapon allies, I tend to in most circumstances solo the game but I know what you mean - however the fact that ranged fighters kill most stuff before it reaches you adds to the tedium of constantly resupplying them. For offensive spells you have a point, as you can just wildly click until stuff dies (unlike when you're combat ready, and a misclick will send you running past the enemy like a moron) - but offensive spells seem over powered regardless of whether you're in real time or turn based.

Some interesting points, all told.

5. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

Realtime is "hard" only because of atrocious interface though.
    I don't remember even a single real time party-based game, where you don't have to fight the interface and/or dumbfuck AI of party members.
    The ones which came up in mind aren't even RPG to begin with (RE4 and PoP 2008).

6. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

I remember one: Dungeon Siege. It had some pretty good follower AI.

7. Chad32

Chad32 New Member

I typically do real time, unless I'm a thief going for maximum backstabbing. Though I guess just stunning enemies or otherwise keeping them from turning around would be good too. Also it can be easier to set up some spells before things get hectic. And it will get hectic in real time.

Our Host!