Android port

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by skenderax, Mar 14, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. skenderax

skenderax New Member

I love Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura and I try to find How To install it to my android tablet. I think It would be a good business plan to make android port of Arcanum. I would surely buy one copy.

Is here someone with the same feeling?

2. werozzi

werozzi Member

Nope, I highly discourage handheld gaming, it is one of the reasons of the dumbing down of gaming, from having to write a big command to move to just do three clicks and that's the game. so, no. Arcanum for tablets seems like a definite no.

3. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Handheld gaming (GBA/NDS/PSP) is actually awesome. Smartphone/tablet on the other hand not so much, as the lack of physical buttons heavily limits the scope of the games. However, the RPGs (especially turn-based) can still work great. The Android port of Avadon: The Black Fortress is a great example. The game is more complex than Arcanum, gameplay mechanics wise.

Arcanum (like many RPGs of its type) is mostly controlled with the mouse except for a few keyboard shortcuts that aren't essential and can always be remade into on screen buttons.

But there is never going to be an Android port because the evil publishers blah blah blah

4. skenderax

skenderax New Member

I have no time tu run games on computer so I love playing, reading books and listen podcasts on my Nexus 7. I loved to play Call of Cthulhu: Wasted Land turn-based RPG and Elder Sign: Omens turn-based board game.

So I thing Arcanum, the best steampunk game ever, will by a good continuation for me and for manu others on the wide world.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I agree, a handheld would be great especially by today's standards as you could fit games 10 times the size of Arcanum's content into a 3DS. Tablets though I'm not so sure about however I haven't experienced the Baldur's Gate remake on the tablet so I don't know how well the transition for that was.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Haven't played it myself, but I watched a video review about the tablet version (link for the Polish members).

The mouse -> touchscreen transition apparently made the controls awful beyond words. For example, the game has difficulty recognizing whether you want to scroll the screen or command your party to move, usually doing both of those things at the same time.

Picking up items from the ground, using doorways, aiming at your opponents - it is said you are lucky if the game properly recognizes your intentions in those situations after the 5th try.

Also, slowdowns - casting just about any area spell has a tendency to slow the frame rate to ~5 FPS. Cast a second area spell and the game pretty much freezes. Quite peculiar, considering we're talking about a transition of a 12 year old sprite-based game here.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Guess we'll stay away from the tablets then.

8. urrourrurr

urrourrurr New Member

Well, i obviously found this post by searching for Arcanum Android! I would really love to see it happen, more so than even an HD remake of the game. Mobile gaming is so much more convenient for me than PC gaming, but the games are all just too dumbed down. Good RPGs CAN be done though!!!!! Precedent has been set. BGEE, Avadon, etc.

Our Host!