The Great Arcanum Scavenger Hunt!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Oct 14, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

So here's the idea: post up an extremely rare or unusual Arcanum item and see if people know how to find it. Obviously most unique magic items are common knowledge, unique non-magical items therefore are a good suggestion or hexed items that are hard to locate. To get the ball rolling I've got two:

The elusive "Electrical Component" and...

Not one but two copies of the "Key to the Shrouded Hills Bridge Gate" on one character. Have fun!

--------------------------------------

As said here are the...

CURRENT TARGETS:

Jojobobo's targets:
    • A character with only a dagger of speed and a potion of heal lesser wounds in their inventory. Hint: They're on a Halfling
    • Two large gears in one container/on one person. Hint: They are likely replacement parts for something nearby that would require them
    • Three more electrical components!! Two are in the same location, found in Tarant; the third is in a room with lots of barrels on the edge of a town (for people who don't want to check back, not the one found in Mr Plough's warehouse)
    • A quality iron shield found on the floor, I will mention it's hard to spot. Hint: It's in a place of residence, and below ground (which probably doesn't mean what you'd first assume it would)
    • Two more vials of poison; excluding the three previously found at Razors Pointe, Adam Maxwell's house and Caladon's high security prison. They're both in people's inventories. Hint: I'd like to think the subtext to why they have the poison is because they're plotting against their superiors, so it's found in a location where the NCPs are named with evident hierarchy
    • A character who drops an item after being disintergrated. I have killed the character by other means and the item is indeed already in the person's inventory, not just conveniently beneath them or something else that may make it look like the character dropped the item upon disintergration when this actually isn't the case. The item and character I am referring to are in no way related to the main quest. Hint: It is however a quest item, just not the main quest. Also the item is strikingly similar to the Gem Of Malachi Rench which has already been suggested by Pyotr
    • Two carried - not equipped - sets of Oiled Thieves Leather, I won't comment on size to keep things interesting. This one should be positively fiendish. Hint: They are found on non-unique NPCs, and are found in unison in a similar situation to a previous target of mine where two of one item were required to be found
    • A completely empty room. No containers, no windows, no lanterns or wall mountings, no other un-interactable items (chairs, etc.) of any sort. All the room has is a door. Hint: Not exactly found in a "building" per se, what civilisation has rooms in it which aren't buildings (as in built on the ground)?
    • A pocket watch in a non-random container underground. Hint: Have a good think about what could be considered underground, and when you have try to recall all possible locations which fall under this description

Deman's targets:
    • Name how you can get at least two examples of the item “Debt of Bessie Toone mine” from Stanton. Acquiring unlimited is again gold star material (not possible with the UAP though).
    • This last one I'll just quote as a whole:
    • How do you get Evelyn Garringsburg to double the payment (600$) for finding the stolen painting?
    • How can you successfully complete both quests of the Toone siblings? Note, the sister's quest won't be registered into your journal.
    • What needs to be done to have more than one alive familiar around?
    • How do you get Tolo Underhill to remain a free follower even after you've completed the quest which involves him? While turning him into a mindless drone (exposing him to the 'permanent follower' glitch) doesn't count for this one, it doesn't necessarily mean that you won't have to mind control him at one point.
    • Name another way of passing over the bridge that is occupied by thieves in Shrouded Hills, without resorting to the usual means of dealing with the situation. Destroying or lockpicking the gate undetected isn't allowed.
    • This one is somewhat harder than the rest; It's possible to complete both Raven's and M'in Gorad's quests at the same time, which will allow you to continue on with both "paths" (Dark & Light). Hint: You'll have to mind control M'in Gorad at one point and make sure that the Silver Queens' reaction towards you doesn't drop below one.
    • Explain how you still can turn spells permanent which are indirectly cast on your character, while using the unofficial patch.
    • This last target is for the vanilla game and it requires you to prove the following statement wrong, "without the UAP or any other modification, the hero/death's champion/god endings are inaccessible". Hint: You'll have to acquire two items which are only available through creation and by owning two schematics which aren't found outdoors. You'll also have to invest five character points into a certain discipline.

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Is it possible to obtain two copies with the latest UAP?

In a crate in Mr Plough's warehouse in Tarant.

Adding two more:
    • Star Sapphire
    • Stiletto

3. Jojobobo

Apparently so; I got one from Lukan's corpse and another from double-crossing Jacob Bens and subsequently killing Doc Roberts.

You get the star saphire from the chest in the top left bedroom on the first floor of Caladon palace, and stilettos are purchased from the shopkeeprs associated with the Thieves' Underground.

Okay here's another two:
    • Blade of Vicious Haste
    • Mithril Ring
    If you run a search you can find how to get a mithril ring, so play fair and don't do it! I guess I'd have no way of knowing if you did though.

4. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Wow, I haven't even heard about the Blade of Vicious Haste. And never actually encountered the Mythril Ring

5. Jojobobo

I only stumbled upon it on my last playthrough, it's one of those things you probably wouldn't find unless you're meticulous about opening chests in all locations. I guess that's a hint, but not a very big one!

Another thing to find: Ammonia - excluding the tubs in the Panarii Temple in Shrouded Hills.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Clever. Wouldn't have thought of that.

In a magickally held black chest next to T'val N'or in T'sen-Ang.

Each half-elf Dark Individual in Molochean Hand random encounters has a small chance of carrying one.

In a locked dresser in the first house east of Percival Toone's house in Shrouded Hills. This the one you had in mind?

Three new targets:
    • This magickal dress:

[​IMG]
    • This technological suit:

[​IMG]
    • This revolver:

[​IMG]

7. Jojobobo

Not so clever, it just randomly happened to me because with my current character I wanted to kill Doc Roberts that way! But on discovering it I thought it would be a good addition to the thread.

No I was thinking about the one in the backroom of Annabelle's Galley in Blackroot, it must be more common than I thought! Still it is quite rare for a pretty boring item.

It's the "Enchanted Gown" on the tailor in The Dancing Needle in Blackroot.

I wasn't actually aware this existed! I assumed it would be on a shop owner though so after finding the dress, I tried the inventor in Blackroot to no avail and then... voila! It's the "Suit of Resistance" on the junk dealer in Seaside Salvage. If I ever make a suave tech assassin character I think I'll make this his suit of choice.

You get it from Doc Roberts, either as the tech reward for saving the bank or by killing him if you don't give Jacob Bens the money on time and meet him at the bridge gate.

• Another three:
    • A fancy ring with the appearance of a decent gold ring
    • ”Sunday’s Best” Dress:

[​IMG]
    • This ring (important note - not the ring's real name):

[​IMG]

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It's Matthew Jameson's wedding ring, a quest item found surrounded by sewer rats in Tarant's non-restricted sewers.

Tailors in Tarant and Ashbury have a chance of having those in their stock.

Ring of Silence. Worn by Mrs Morgan in Roseborough.

New targets:
    • Two rings with different names and descriptions. Otherwise identical: both give you a +2 prowling bonus, both are magick/tech neutral and both look like fancy rings.
    • This axe:

[​IMG]

9. Jojobobo

Bugger I thought this was a unique item only found at Razor's Point! I guess I need to up my game.

One is the Ring of Concealment worn by Gildor Nighthawk in Stillwater. The other I think is the reward given for completing the prowling mastery quest, unfortunately I can't remember the name of it and I don't have a character I could easily complete the quest with - is that right or am I miles off?

That is the axe found in The Pit in on The Isle of Despair, it has wierd stats just like the sword.

• Some more targets:
    • Two copies of the machined hammer:

[​IMG]
    • Poison (not Grunwalde's Poison, not strong poison, just plain ol' poison):

[​IMG]

10. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I support this thread! Sadly, all the ones I knew have already been guessed, and the remaining ones I have no clue about.

Also, never having gotten to see anything past the Wheel Clan would hinder me I would imagine.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Found one more barrel of ammonia - it's in a locked chest at 10 Harbor View in Ashbury.

You are correct.

Confusingly enough, the prowling master's ring is called just like Mrs Morgan's one, i.e. Ring of Silence.

One is placed in a chest/dresser just north of the social chamber at the Stonecutter Clan.

Another one is held by a half-ogre member of the Willenbecker Gang in Ashbury.

One bottle is in a locked chest in Adam Maxwell's house in Caladon. Is this the one you had in mind?

New targets:
    • A hexed staff that weights 1000 stone
    • Three copies of the Power Axe

12. Jojobobo

Never got past the Wheel Clan?! You need to improve your Arcanum credentials Philes!

Okay well apparently I should have gone for three copies (EDIT 2: make that four, I've found another in my search for the third power axe) of the Machined Hammer, because there is another one out there; and...

I should have gone for two bottles of poison, because there is another one out there too! Both the hammer and poison are in the same location so if you find one you'll find the other, I won't spoil the location yet as it is quite obscure so I think it'll be more fun if people carry on looking for them. I will however offer a hint: find the underground snooker table.

Gaah, I can only find two! The obvious one is in the Black Mountain Clan, and the other is on the blacksmith at Buckner's Smithy in Roseborough. Give me some time and I'll try and locate the third, some goes for the staff which I haven't started searching for yet!

EDIT: Just had a pretty comprehensive search of a fair few locations and still can't find the last axe and the staff, anyone else? With one of my characters in the past I actually went through the effort of visiting every location so they probably possessed it at one point, alas I can't find it now! The staff isn't in the Broken Cathedral, Cold Place, Caladon Sewers, Tarant Old Sewers, The Small Pond, The Village of The Ashlag Tribe, Kree or the Land Bridge is it? Otherwise apparently I can't search locations properly! Also I found more revolvers, Adam Maxwell carries one as does Daniel McPherson.

• Another three:
    • A melee weapon with three charges of Bolt of Lightning.
    • A melee weapon with a RNG:2.
    • These rather dubious looking "healing salves":

[​IMG]

13. Jojobobo

Well I just thought it would be a bit of fun, and it is quite addictive trying to find hard to get items. I still can't find Muro's third power axe or 1000 weight staff, even though I've searched a fair few locations for them. I've checked all relevant masters, experts and shopkeepers for the axe that I could think of; and I can't think of any underground or technical locations I haven't already searched in the past where it would be. For the staff I searched some of the generic locations on the map and searched through the mages' inventories in Tulla - but still no luck. I'm plum out of ideas.

14. Jojobobo

As far as I know hexed items are unique, and furthermore I've rarely seen anyone carrying a hexed item; so this most likely rules them out being in shops' inventories or on an NPC. Kan Kerai does have a staff in his inventory, but unfortunately it's not the hexed one. That leaves a container in a monster infested lair, but as to which when there are so many and some containers can be so easily camouflaged is hard to narrow down. Quite a few hexed items are found on corpses but all the ones I can think of are the half-ogre in the Caladon Sewers, the human in Torin Quarry, the human in Gorgoth Pass and the human (half-elf?) in the Ruby Glade - so I don't think it'll be on a corpse either.

As to "hexxing" an item, I don't think Muro would be cheap enough as to send us on a wild goose chase!

EDIT: A quick search on Muro's database tells me the most probable item we're looking for is Grack's Burdensome Staff - having never seen or heard of this item that's little or no help to me! Also the revolvers I found earlier I think are different to the one Muro posted up from what I can tell.

15. Wasted_Savior

Wasted_Savior Member

Where could one find a wooden ring outside of the opening shop?

16. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

There's a hexed staff in the Dernholm Pits, I can't recall its name and stats right now though.

Also, you guys should really put up a unique items FAQ.

17. Jojobobo

I actually have no idea, anyone else?

18. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

Does't the witching dagger have a magickal range of +1, and is on the gypsy outside of Shrouded Hills?

19. Jojobobo

Indeed it does, but it doesn't have RNG:2!

20. Constipation

Constipation New Member

Betcha none of you guys know where to find Chateau de Be'ron Brandy.

Our Host!