Lowest Fatigue EVER

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Muro, Dec 19, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Here’s my entry for DF’s contest. I seem to be the only participant but hell, I was doing this mostly for my own amusement anyway.

Ingredients for my screenshot:
    • A decent fatigue damage dealing weapon and a skilled warrior who won’t kill himself with critical failures during the session, which means a master was needed. Unfortunately. I gave Sir Garrick Douche an Arcane Stuff and in return asked him if he would like to beat the fuck out of me. He didn't say no.
    • A nice quiet and cool looking place where no one would interfere us (Zanza’s crib)
    • A Medical Arachnid from our good old friend, Hieronymous Maxim
    • A fuckload of time
    So I thought: ”Since the current unofficial winner is Kirov’s -73, how much fatigue damage should I absorb and survive for my entry to make it a good one? A hundred? A thousand? Nah, that would be weak. But a million should do.”

[​IMG]

As we can all see, the unimaginable destruction caused by the combined powers of Garrick and his Arcane Staff have shred my Smoking Jacket to particles, yet, luckily for me, my Boxorz of Might have proven to be worth every penny I’ve paid for them.

Fun fact #1: During the process of gathering that fatigue damage, Garrick has crippled both of my arms, one of my legs and has scarred me 238 times.

Fun fact #2: If, for some reason, Garrick would die all of a sudden (or escape from a Horny Zanza), here’s how much time would it take to regenerate all of that damage and get back to 0 fatigue for someone with:
    • Heal Rate: 1 – 115 days, 17 hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds
      Heal Rate: 2 – 57 days, 20 hours, 53 minutes and 20 seconds
      Heal Rate: 3 – 38 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 40 seconds
      Heal Rate: 4 – 28 days, 22 hours, 26 minutes and 40 seconds
      Heal Rate: 5 – 23 days, 3 hours, 33 minutes and 20 seconds
      Heal Rate: 6 – 19 days, 6 hours, 57 minutes and 50 seconds
    And yes, I’m talking real time here, not game time.

Also, as you have probably figured out by now, with the setting I used (which anyone can arrange in vanilla Arcanum without any cheats) with Garrick (being a melee master and all) never getting a critical failure (therefore never damaging himself) and the Arachnid healing me without any limits, the lowest possible fatigue is minus infinity, or at least as much as the game is able to take without crashing or doing something silly like changing the value from negative to positive or something.

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I like it how the field under the fatigue meter is blank.

How God-awful long time did it take to reach a negative million?

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

*whistle* Well that's something you don't see every day...

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

5. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Impressive, to say the least.

Now set a goal to max out poison level without dieing.

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

This might be an interesting competition. The "max out wierd specs" battle.

7. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It went blank something below -100, flashed a few times between -100 and -1000 and didn't show up even once after the fatigue went below -1000. It was so overwhelming for the game that it preferred to picture me as fatigue-dead, it would seem.

Total time was something about 3 hours and 20 minutes. You wouldn't believe me how many things one can do when he doesn't have access to his computer for that much time!

That sounded quite interesting. I replaced Garrick's Arcane Staff with an Envenomed Sword and observed the results. It took him about 15 seconds to give me a 999 poison level and then, sadly, with the next hit, the poison level meter disappeared, never to be seen again. So the cap in terms of visible poison level is 999.

By the way, in those two screenshots we can see the flashing of the fatigue meter I mentioned in my reply to DE.

8. HaseoTOD1

HaseoTOD1 New Member

Muro, to put bluntly, thats insane, but I enjoy insane.

9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Thats loco hommes, When the poison meter vanished did the actual poison effect go as well or did you continue to take damage even though it did not display the meter?

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

By poison level meter I meant the displayed value. The in-game poison level meter exists and keeps increasing with each hit, the game just doesn't show it, just like the fatigue meter under the blue fatigue vial turns blank when fatigue is below or over some value.

11. Crypton

Crypton Member

Nope! The lowest fatigue ever is -2^31, so its -2147483648, since Arcanum uses 4 byte integers for saving stats table.

PS: I can't believe that such topic gets sticked! You must be really bored :lol:

Edit: Screenshot deleted, bandwidth saving...

12. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It's cool enough to warrant a sticky. At least it's creative.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Nope what? I said -1'000'000 was the lowest fatigue ever achieved by normal means (and it still is), not that it's the lowest possible. Here, take a look:

The negative million - as well as the choice of scenery and such - was just an amusing example of this to cheer the eyes.
    Most importantly, I did it without resorting to hacking the game or cheats which would exceed that which can be done in vanilla Arcanum, since that was the very purpose of this contest. You can't say that about yourself, can you? No, of course you can't.

Proof? Lies! Oh so many lies!

Nonetheless Crypton, I appreciate your contribution, do not think otherwise. I actually hoped for someone to check the technical limitations. Pray tell, what will happen when someone will deal fatigue damage to a character with -2^31 fatigue points? Will the fatigue remain at that value or will something funny happen to it?

14. Charonte

Charonte Member

It'll probably be truncated and reset to 0 or something else obscene.

15. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I find that in some old games, if the area that the info is stored doesn't have a buffer between sets of info that the amount over max caries over to the next stat. EX:

if current HP was stored in a spot and gold was stored right after it and you maxed your HPs you was ever able to get within the storage limits and then used a item that boosts your HP then you would get gold instead of HP.

it is a common thing in old games if you actually used a hack to get max and then did something that told the game to give more.

for this tho it's a negative and not a positive number so the 4 things I THINK would possibly happen is (once you hit -1 past the limit of the info storage.):

1) the next set of info starts dropping by the amount of Fatigue damage you take.
    2) the previous set of info starts rising a point for each point of Fatigue damage you take.
    3) the previous set of info starts dropping a point for each point of Fatigue damage you take.
    4) your Fatigue will flip to max ever possible Fatigue and drop from there like normal. (this Fatigue will most likely drop to the chars char sheet displayed current stat max when you lvl or gain Fatigue in any way, including by heal rate.)

since the newest game I experienced this kind of thing with was made about 3-5 years before Arcanum I would tend to chose option #4. BUT Arcanum was packed pretty tightly when it first came out and therefore they may have not programed it to add a buffer between bits of temp stored info in which case ANY of the 4 outcomes could happen. I would still give #4 a larger chance of happening tho.

16. Charonte

Charonte Member

That's probably more related to the store/read memory operations as each goes over it's designed size limits.

Doubtful that'd happen in Arcanum, the 'negative' aspect is just a sign bit which is generally the leftmost bit in binary. I.e, 1001 is -1 as the sign bit is positive. That's why it's 2^31 and not 2^32.

Treat the rest of it like a separate number, so at the maximum fatigue (pos or neg) all 31 bits are 1. Adding 1 to that would set all the bits to 0 and try to increase a non-existing bit, hence jumping to 0 or '-0' (which is still 0 computationally).

I'm too lazy to check, but either way.

17. thenewone

thenewone New Member

well i experience -53 one time in the ancient temple where 3 tattered bowman rain arrows at me, i was so lucky that i survive cause ive got 2 healers virgil and the guy who joins you in blackroot the priest guy.

18. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The moment I started this thread I thought that -1'000'000 was good, but I did not know that eventually I will be utterly crushed by your groundbreaking -53. I think you should provide screenshots, because it is hard to believe it otherwise.

19. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

20. thenewone

thenewone New Member

Our Host!