[PATCH] Arcanum 1024x768 ?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Crypton, May 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Do you want to play Arcanum in better screen resolution ?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It is not needed...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Crypton

Crypton Member

Hi everyone.

I successfully patched arcanum to be working in 1024x768 resolution,fullscreen or not....

Unfortunatelly there is needs to be done a resizing of art files (not many),and changing x,y values... So its not whole done... there is some gfx errors.... but nothing whats not possible to solve,it needs time.

But as I see it offers more working area and "better" graphics and so on...

2. Shota Shernokavich

Shota Shernokavich New Member

Hey.

Mind telling us how you managed to hack the .exe file?
    I've tried to before, but I'm too much of a noob at coding. A little insight would be nice.

3. Crypton

Crypton Member

Hey :) Its all about debugging... from code you can see everything... atm I'm working on dedicated server,which will be using mm_won.dll but I must hack all required functions from that dll,which is not easy at all,so this patch will be released after that...

4. Shota Shernokavich

5. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Haha, sure. With a game as large as Arcanum, disassembly would take more than to release it at its 50th anniversary.

6. Shota Shernokavich

Drog Black Tooth managed to open the source code..i tried to but i don't know how. im not really good at this type of thing.

7. team a

team a New Member

I can't wait to see this completed. Keep up the good work.

8. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

9. Crypton

Crypton Member

Heh ... Thanks for info.. good to know that somebody works on that patch too... I found probably all adressed in exe which are needs to be patched,because of compiler which was used in arcanum, all constants in exe all messed up,so its needs to be patched more bytes... there is about 120 bytes which needs to be patched (30 * SizeOf(dword)) it includes also sounds play position and so on...

Edited...

10. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Wow. That's sounds like it would be confusing even if you were using adequate grammer.

11. Elder Joachim

Elder Joachim New Member

Interesting.

I'd recommend you to take a look at Drog's unofficial patch, btw. He already made a number of changes to the engine, the most notable would be the disabled sprite mirroring. In the final game, 3 rotations of 8 get mirrored, while there are all 8 animations for every creature in the game. Drog disabled the sprite mirroring, thus enhancing the graphics immensely. I'd advise you to take his .exe file as a base.

12. Crypton

Crypton Member

Yesterday I made a small patching core for exe files,which is working with virtual addresses (same as you may see in debugger) so all patches from that "unofficial patch" and others may be written in .ini file and user can select which patches will be aplied...

PS: I did not excused myself because of bad grammar :p so sorry for bad English usage... I'll try to write best I can,but you know sometimes its hard to explain something in English...

13. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

That's ok. I only mentioned it to make up for my technological inferiority. I do that alot.

14. Soleilnoir

Soleilnoir New Member

15. team a

team a New Member

gravedig! ...so, is there anything new?

16. Crypton

Crypton Member

Yes,there is some good news :p I already patched arcanum to be working with 1024x768 res,I did not found any bugs (like somebody described on rpgcodex),anyway I must resize and replace some of art files :(

I had a exams previous month,and one still remainin... after that I'll start to working on it again,dont worry it will be finished till end of this month (probably) .... ;)

17. Oracle

Oracle Member

So do you plan to contiue with hacking through the exe as well? (while if I may call it hacking that is )

18. team a

team a New Member

I'd really like to see that thing opened up. There are still some bugs in the engine I'd like to see fixed, and some functions that probably wouldn't be too hard to add. I know Drog is also working on the .exe, but it looks like you've been making a lot of progress.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm happy with that resolution atm...so i dun care too much,but if this thing comes out,i will try it :)

20. team a

team a New Member

Does it make everything seem really small?

Also, I imagine this might fuck up some scripting, like "if (obj) can see (obj)" condition. You might also have to load heartbeat scripts from 2 sectors away, or you might even be able to scroll your screen and see critters with constant waypoints standing still! Or mortal enemies just waiting for the PC to get close enough so that they can attack one another

Our Host!