Voice recognition from followers

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by somefatguy, Mar 26, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. somefatguy

somefatguy New Member

A year ago, I've saw on forum of Mount & Blade of people using third party programs to issue vocal commands to 'order' their armies around instead of typically using the keyboard.

So this morning after eating breakfast and while taking a dump, I thought, hey, that thing I saw on a forum a year ago could be used in Arcanum. So immediately, after taking a dump I went out to buy some toilet rolls.

Anyway, on my way back home, I've looked up the thread and it is still there. The voice recognition program used was called 'Shoot'. Since I wasn't in the mood to google up comparisons between different voice recognition programs, I just grabbed what was there.

This is the link-> http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/

The idea was to activate certain keys from from just your voice. For example, I can make it so that whenever I say "Gar, I love you!" through the microphone, the program will respond by quickly executing the following in a blink:

1- The Enter Key.
    2- the words: "Gar leave"
    3-The Enter key.

So incase you're not sure, this will result in Gar saying something about me being an asshole and leaving my party or, well something to that effect.

You might imagine how useful it is now that you can give specific followers specific commands with your own voice but you're probably even more likely to be wondering how is that any different then just right clicking on the follower's portrait and issuing commands from there. I'd like to say that you can do interesting things such as attaching commands to your whistle or to the clicking of your tongue but really, there is nothing much more to it other than the joy of shouting orders at 2D sprites.

If you do decide to try 'Shoot' out, I'd suggest using the 'training' via the speech->recognizer menu and go through a few voice practicing sessions so that the program can identify your voice more accurately. It is probably a good idea to add specific pronounciation to its custom dictionary for commands that it has trouble recognizing, usually the follower names.

The progam isn't 100% friendly though. The reason I say this is because you can't actually add new commands from new words just by using the program alone. You're suppose to edit some XML files first which uses some form of scripting - which is actually pretty simple - before loading it with the program.

You can read more about that over here at this link-> http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/ ... tation.php

And this is an uncomplete XML file which I made for the followers I've had used in my current game. It has specific commands for only virgil, jayna and gar as well as some all party commands. If you want it for some other character or if you don't like the words used to issue command, you can simply modify or add to it by using notepad.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hy7v8weh3dw8jej

Hmm oh, and I'm not sure if I've posted in the right thread. :???:

2. Crypton

Crypton Member

This is so wrong.

Seems like an interesting stuff, so I'm definately gonna try it, later. However, voice recognition is for gradpas, have you ever tried the Neural Impulse Actuator?. You can even play Arcanum with that. Much better than talking to yourself.

3. somefatguy

somefatguy New Member

The NIA? :lol:

Have you seriously tried using that for Arcanum? Out of curiosity, what could you do with it IN Arcanum?

Our Host!