Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Presented for your game-playing enjoyment is the latest version of A:WIP.

Click here for the Changelog!

2/14/10: Due to hardware shortcomings, this project is on hold until I can afford better equipment.

Known problems:

Brandybuck - If you visit Frigo's farm (with the tobacco) before attempting to buy the hobbit-hole, there is a 1 in 10 chance that Frigo will not appear when he's supposed to. Cause unknown.
    Solution: Either replay from an earlier save or exit the town at the For Sale place, advance time one day, re-enter the town, read the sign, and talk to the man in blue. This has routinely worked for me.

Plainwicke - Rough, choppy dialog. This is a condensed version of what's to come. Some dialog links will need to be followed twice to learn everything.
    Contrary to an earlier report, the new follower will not be joining you on this adventure. His dialog explains why.

Vormantown - Talk to everyone! Occasionally the trap door from the Vorman Mansion refused to function properly if I overlooked the groundskeeper. A random glitch - cause unknown.
    One solution: Before you report to Shackleford to get your reward for completing the two quests, exit the manor and save to a new slot. This way, if the trapdoor doesn’t work, you can easily try again.

The Pyrotechnic Bow - The schematic still will not recognize store-bought Fire Obstruction but will allow use of made Obstruction. I’ve removed store-bought Obstruction from all the inventories, but there might still be a placed one somewhere in the game.

Directions:

A:WIP 4.0 and newer Players - Delete the Arcanum.exe, Arcanum5.dat, and the Arcanum.patch1 files,
    and double-click the Drog'sCleanCache.bat before installing this update.
    Also - It's doubtful you'll be able to use your old saves so expect to start a new game.

A:WIP 2.2 and 3.0 players:
    You will not be able to use a saved game with this release. There are just too many changes. Completely uninstall your current game and start fresh.

1) You will need a fresh, clean copy of Arcanum and the 1.0.7.4_EN patch.
    2) When the install is finished, delete the Sierra/Arcanum/Arcanum.exe.
    3) Download the AWIP6.0.exe - available here:
    http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/rroyo/AWIP6.0.exe -
    directly into your Sierra/Arcanum folder and double-click to extract the files.
    4) Move the Arcanum.PATCH1 to the Sierra/Arcanum/modules folder.
    5) Start the game.
    The first clue for a successful install will be a small brown chest with a book inside just behind and to the right of your PC at the crash site.
    6) If you don't see a small brown chest, exit the game, double-click the Drog'sCleanCache.bat and restart.

A small update:

Having just added a ton of new backgrounds, including those from the Homebrew Backgrounds thread, I imagine a few people would like to see how well their creation fares in the Arcanum enviroment.

So - Either rename or delete your existing Arcanum5.dat.
    Download this: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/ ... canum5.dat directly into its place (Sierra\Arcanum).
    Double-click the Drog'sCleanCache.bat.
    And start a new game and enjoy!

If anyone's interested, here's a text list of all the backgrounds that are available in my hack.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/266888865/B ... d_list.txt

Just so we're clear on things, to make this hack work, you'll need to keep the following in mind:

1) This hack has several modifications built into it, like the cargo hold, the Molochean Hand and Orc Bandit hacks, and the background mod - among others. This required some fine-tuning and sacrifices to make these work together without conflict.
    2) I strongly recommend NOT attempting to add any additional hacks or mods to this hack. That includes the Level 127 hack, Drog's "Extra Pack", and the Dark Magic hack. Sorry.
    3) This hack contains many elements of Drog Black Tooth's Unofficial Arcanum Patch. DO NOT attempt to use a complete bug-fix with this as a unit. The built-in mods in this hack make the two incompatable - as complete units. In addition, the two unpack to the same locations.
    4) This hack has proven to be incompatible with warzed and/or no-cd* versions of the game. If you are attempting to use either of these, at best, you might see the new splashes.
    * The No-CD Arcanum.exe included with this is an exception because it was modified to work with the Arcanum patch.

Special thanks to the Administrators of The House of Lords for graciously hosting this unfinished expansion pack, all those who made custom content I could use, and to everyone willing to voice an opinion about my efforts.

For any comments, questions, criticisms, or praise, I can be reached here at Terra-Arcanum.

Enjoy the adventures!

2. frosted ambassador

frosted ambassador New Member

You're a great person.

Thanks for the update, it's a bit groundbreaking to have Vormantown in Arcanum isn't it?

3. Oracle

Oracle Member

Rroyo thanks alot!

You deserve one frigging big cookie!!

Did you manage to get Drog's fixes in as well?
    I know Drog isn't exacly the most helpfull person if it comes to applyng it to mods...

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

frosted ambassador: Nice of you to say so.

As for adding Vormantown, I wouldn't call it ground-breaking.
    I'm just the one who got the combo to the general public first.
    It was the percieved amount of work needed that stopped most other modders.

Oracle: You're welcome.

I got most of the bug-fixes to settle in and work with my hack - approximately 3/4 of the 80523 patch.
    Almost without exception, anything that didn't take off and work on the first try got pulled back out until later.

And yeah, Drog's not the most understanding of people when it comes to mods, but... if you catch him in a good mood, get what you want, then get out of sight until he forgets about you; you can get a lot done.

5. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Since I'm finally onboard as a beta tester I'd like to point out 3 minor issues about the game that have always bothered me.

1. The back of the Herbalists house in Shrouded Hills has no floor, its just dirt.

2. When you play an intelligent Half Ogre and are talking to Virgil at the crash site he says that it hard to tell what going on 'Especially with you being a Half Orc' the sound clip says ogre but the text itself is incorrect.

3. The junk dealer in Dernholm has the inventory of a junk dealer but the personality of a technologist so he won't let high level mages in the shop which is completely out of setting for a town where technology is banned. (Unless he is part of some secret technology underground or something)

Do what you will with these comments, up to and including ignoring them.

6. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Rryro, you're a fucking genious.

Thank you for reviving Arcanum like this.

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Vorak - Welcome aboard and thanks for letting me know.
    *Makes notes*

BTW: I reinstalled 3.0 on my machine and after two tries Gar was still in his place. I'll give it a few more attempts because this has my curiousity going.

Wolfsbane - Thank you and glad I could be of help.

8. Vorak

I think it may have been a one in a million case, I haven't been able to replicate it myself.

9. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Do I need to use the Arcanum.exe included in the mod, or the vanilla one will do ?

10. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Also, shouldn't Arcanum.patch1 go to the modules directory ?

11. Darkform

Darkform New Member

readme tells you to put it in the right spot. read readme.

12. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You can use the original exe if you really want to, but I couldn't get the restored racial icons to work without the new one.

Darkform answered your second question.

BTW: You were the main one wanting to read the build list for this hack.
    Check out the ReadMe. There's plenty for you to peruse.

13. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Little bugreport:

- gypsies still show the full inventory
    - town map of the uncharted cave is f'd up
    - black stone blade is buggy

14. Darkform

Darkform New Member

only Shrouded Hills Gypsy was reset I think Rroyo told me so yes other Gypsies still show full inventory. it was so all the high stuff couldn't be got before Tarrant or Ashbury if you skip Tarrant and goto Ashbury first.

15. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I'm a half-ogre, and found Frigo Furbottom, but he doesn't initiate dialogue with me, just spouting out floats about me being half-ogre.

16. Vorak

Another bug.

When I equip cursed items I don't get the orange animated pentagram effect.

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Frigo & Vorak - Thanks. I'll get 4.0 reinstalled and see what's going on.

Frigo - Darkform is correct. Only the Shrouded Hills Gypsy got changed.

18. Vorak

The cursed effect only seems to be missing from modified/new items. The Dark Helm and the Amulet of Leadership don't do it but the Ring of Shadows is working properly.

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I got the same result as you with the Dark Helm in a test at the S.H. temple and the stock one at Harry Baules.
    But for the life of me I can't remember the Amulet of Leadership ever giving the hexed symbol.

As for the stock hexed items, they do seem to work right.
    I was able to test the Ring of Shadows*, a generic hexed armor I made up, and the Baneful Gauntlets in the S. H. temple and got the hex symbol every time.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/rroyo/Arcanum/Hexed.jpg

*Yeah, I read your post and tested this one too.

Now to turn invisible and go find the Blackstone Blade....

20. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Mr. Yoki's "Will you allow me a few more questions" simply exits.

Is the Brookeside plantation empty, I missed something, or is there some bug ?

Our Host!