Arcanum:WIP 2.2 (Beta) Now Available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Oct 28, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Edit: An updated version is now available. See the Arcanum:WIP 3.0 thread.

After learning of a large number of problems with version 2 due to human and software errors, I began a dedicated effort to rebuild and debug what had gone wrong. This included having to remove the Level 127 hack and the new prototypes for the Krupps fixes.

Being reasonably certain I've succeeded, I now present this properly-packed (packed DATs) update for your game-playing enjoyment.

For those who are new to the forum, in June I made an unplanned (and problematic) release of an expansion pack I am creating for the stock game. This is not a revision like Car-Arcanum, but an attempt to add more adventures and solve a few problems in the process.

Although still far from finished, this mod is fully playable and contains most of the known bug, dialog, and teleport fixs, some of the common hacks, the Cargo Hold addition, new schematics, portraits, scenery, and a combined total of seventeen new areas to explore and conquer.

Updates include:
    Added all the bug fixes needed for the A:WIP (1) release.
    Added the backgrounds hack. (Updated)
    Added a new start-up splash.
    Four new adventures - Bear Trap, Spider Cave, Acererak's Tomb, and The Halfling Merchant Rescue.
    The Halfling village of Brandybuck, including eleven new buildings. Four hobbit-holes, a smithy shed, a village market, four thatched-roof cabins and a halfling-sized log cabin.
    A new merchant class - Fletcher. (Bows & Arrows)
    One new Halfling follower - Wrinko Minna. (Bow, prowling, lock pick).
    Weldo Rubin now has a melee/thief leveling scheme. (Bow, prowling, lock pick).
    Franklin Payne's strength boosted to 18. (Minimum needed for his elephant gun)
    Althea, the Shrouded Hills librarian, now has her own (initial) dialog. (updated)
    “The Atlas of Arcanum” – A list of all places in the game – has been moved to the Tarant Library.
    Updated Frigo Furbottom's dialog.

Known problems:
    This mod is not compatible with most other hacks including the Dark Magic and the Level 127. I recommend not adding any as I kept everything I could that wouldn't cause a conflict.
    A:WIP1 & 2 players - This release is not compatable with your old saved games. Sorry. You'll need to start a new game.
    This mod still has unfinished scenes. Leahbo, in particular.
    Acererak's Tomb: One concealed passage possibly too well hidden. Feedback needed!
    Spider Cave: Cobwebs frequently conceal NPCs. Live with it, folks.
    Wrinko Minna: Not full game tested.
    Weldo Rubin: Leveling scheme not full game tested.
    Franklin Payne: New strength not full game tested.
    Althea: Still has no "After Void" dialog.
    Brandybuck residents at night: Can be seen walking onto, then disappearing behind their homes.
    Brandybuck in general: Only the core items - merchants, follower, hobbit-hole purchase, and side quest - are done. No secondary dialogs or rumors yet.

If this is of interest to you, then you will need:
    1) A fresh, clean copy of Arcanum
    2) The Arcanum_EN_1.0.7.4 patch
    3) The AWIP2.2.exe
    Available here: http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/ ... WIP2.2.exe

Directions:
    Install Arcanum and patch.
    Create a temporary file inside the game. "New Folder" works.
    Download the AWIP2.2.exe directly into your Sierra/Arcanum/New Folder.
    Double-click on the AWIP2.2.exe to extract the files within.
    Follow the directions in the !!ReadMe!!.txt

The first clue for a successful install would be behind your PC at the crash site.
    There will be a wood chest with a book inside just behind and to the right.

Special thanks to Mathboy and the Administrators of The House of Lords for graciously hosting this unfinished expansion pack; to everyone willing to voice an opinion about the first release; and to Arkas for all his scripting help and suffering through all my "I just remembered....!"
    e-mails.

For any comments, questions, criticisms, praise, or death-threats, I can be reached here at Terra-Arcanum.

Enjoy!

2. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Hey rroyo, I have a question: I recently installed CarArcanum and I'm wondering if this mod works with CarArcanum installed.

3. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

I haven't had the chance to try it yet, I'm knee-deep in homework, coursework and work.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

How should I put this? Not a snowflake's chance in hell!

5. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Hahaha, okay. So I should just delete it and then install this one? (In hopes of it working)

6. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Not in the game but here's what I've added so far:

Electrolyte Solution
    Create Vendigrothian Large-Bore Rifle
    Create Sheet Metal (Grossenschamm)
    Create Vendigroth Sheet Metal
    Create Dwarven Steel
    Create Dwarven Ore
    Create Vendigrothian Padded Gloves

8. Spuddy

Spuddy New Member

Oh Goddamn, rroyo! I've been away for far too long, I had no idea about all this but rest assured I'll happily download this and play like there was no tomorrow. Thanks!

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Glad I could brighten your day.

10. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yep!
    Your kingdom awaits, Milord.

12. Tekkus McDwarf

Tekkus McDwarf Member

I'm glad you two are having so much fun with your kingdoms.... but did you bring enough for the rest of the class? If not, spit them out and no talking!

13. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I command all of my subjects (so that would be you Telcontar) to download this and get testing for rroyo.

14. Telcontar

Telcontar Well-Known Member

15. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You know, I never did bother to find out why but whenever I added it into the Arcanum5.DAT, the Molochean Hand would develop one of two problems.
    One of them would remain standing after being killed or one of the grunts would show up as a section of wall. Without it, the Hand hack works fine.

I thought I had tracked those problems back to a corrupted script, but that was only a small part of the problem.

Also, the Arcanum.exe has to be replaced for the new levels to work.
    Something else I was screwing up. Not including the Arcanum.exe.

All this and more is because some of these hacks just will not work together.
    I thought I got away with it for a while, but everything eventually caught up with me.

17. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

For some reason, adding the extra levels yourself works alright. It's just tedious.

18. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

You got it to work with no conflict?!

19. Unknown??

Unknown?? New Member

Haha, I love the loading screen. (World of Warcraft I'm pretty sure.)

Anyways, I'm 1 hour in and would just like to randomly complain/critique:

I found that it's simply way too easy early on. Shrouded hills shouldn't give you access to oiled thieves leather, no matter how realistic it might seem. In the boil area, the two buildings on the street contain large amounts of money for someone just starting the game. A star ruby? Rifle? Also, Harry Baules? (Haha) The portraits may as well not even exist. They don't really match the style.

Anyways, I'm just complaining because you probably get LOADS of compliments. Heading back to shrouded hills to pick up that note in the church/library.

Edit: Also, the church, I'm guessing some of those rooms are suppossed to be off limits. Arcane robe? Sword? Also, a dresser with 300 gold? Way too much without any struggle.

Also a question: Did you make it darker at night time?

20. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It must be true. You're the second one to tell me.
    I honestly didn't know. All I saw was a dwarf with a gun.

The inventories - Yeah, I went overboard. Eventually they'll be toned down.

Harry Baules Pawnshop was in response to Magnus' comment that he'd bought the bracelet at a pawnshop in the Merchants' Quarter. An ad for one of the Pink Panther movies was on while I was deciding on the name and .... Balls, Bawles, Baules - Harry Baules? Bingo!

As for the notes: They're a dead-end for now. Consider them as a teaser.

The portraits - If you know where I can find a few dozen portraits that matches Arcanum's style - PLEASE!! Let me know! I will be delighted to replace them. Really!

In the temple, the storeroom is to give a thief something to do, while the fancy room is waiting for the "Returned from the Void" Living One to have access to when the scripting is complete. Althea has the key but no dialog at this time for her to hand it over.
    I guessing you picked the lock to get in. I need to reset the difficulty.

No I hadn't. The vast majority of the lighting is from individual "spot-lights" and I still don't know how to tone those down for nighttime.

At any rate, enjoy the new adventures, ignore the extra treasure if you want, and thanks for playing!

BTW: When you make it to the Iron Clan, would you be good enough to let me know if I've made the clues too simple?

Our Host!