Hey ya'll!

Discussion in 'Vault of Folly' started by PlastickCouch, Mar 14, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. PlastickCouch

PlastickCouch New Member

Hey guys 'n gals! I'm an old member of the Arcanum Inn and wanted to get in contact with my old friends, but I saw the Inn was shut down. A fire, or something of the sort...

Is this where the new Inners are?

Does anyone know where I can find my way home?

I'll pay you all handsomely! (not actually true)

2. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    No way - it's Plastic Couch! Or at least someone claiming to be him!

You probably don't remember me because I joined after you left, but your red thong salutes were still referred to often enough that I had to go and look one up to find out what the fuss was about. And it was well worth it.

Anyway, I'm afraid to report that the old VN Arcanum community is now officially dead. It started to go downhill when a very officious moderator was assigned to the forum and started locking game threads and deleting posts. So after a brief rebellion and flame war a bunch of us moved to a new forum set up by Toblix on his own server, and we were there for about four years - it was mainly Chud, Aldin, Stravaig, Vegamax, and Swift-Flyte. Other faces showed themselves on and off - Psyche, Rebus, Milady, Calis, Oyarsa, Demiurgos, Zentarim, can't remember any more right now. But then eventually the numbers dwindled to the point that Toblix felt it wasn't worth keeping the board alive any more, so it is defunct. And there is no official new home for us. So that's that.

I then came here. If you can survive the initial hazing period of this place (it's pretty harsh) then I'd be pleased to extend a laurel and a hearty handshake.

[edit] Oh, and Beelzebubb was there too for a while. How could I forget him... [/edit]
    [edit2] Just remembered DasFlipz too. [/edit2]
    [edit3] I also think Nollidj may have been there for a while. [/edit3]

3. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

Well, welcome to our humble group. We don't have much traffic here, so you won't see many new faces 'round here.

Have a nice stay here :-D

4. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    See what I mean? They're absolutely vicious to newcomers.

5. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly some of the names on the members list: (I just double-check it.) There was already a Plastic_Couch in the year 2001 here.

Hey, I was a old member of VN Boards, as well. Well, untill they stopped this Arcanum board.

6. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

The few that may be left in this day and age probably reside either here or somewhere through the Sierra Forums Gateway...

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Plastic couch was actually honoured in Arcanum. Check the sofa at Madam Lil's.

Of course, this is likely to be yet another sockpuppet of HWLFP's.

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

If I remembered correctly, was Plastic_Couch also honoured in the graveyard location. I also think it is a bit strange that he makes a new account, while he has already one here.

9. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

A friendly visit from such an personage would be quite positive. Making a typo in his own name - among other things - puts me into caution mode, though.

10. PlastickCouch

PlastickCouch New Member

Be ye of little faith, inners!?!?

Well color me silly, :thumbup: :-o :thumbup:
    :lol: :lol: :D :D 8) :lol: :lol:

And I've had much worse, and better paying, hazing rituals than these

Yeah, that's all me guys, but I've long forgotten passwords to e-mails and etc. I know I've had an account here, as I even had webmaster privileges for terra-arcanum back when Calis and Monkeypunch did a lot of the moving and shaking. Also, I was daily blogger for the 10lb lobster cult page, old skool arcanum guild that actually broke up before the game even was released, I believe. lol. I also got an autographed copy of the game sent free to my address by the Troika gang themselves, which I wasn't expecting and it was such a nice surprise. I also had a pending sexual harassment lawsuit from Sierra, when one of their forum moderators couldn't handle being teased by a kid, and so Sharon Shellman (one and only) was nice enough to explain to Sierra that I was just a 14 year old kid and they kindly dropped the charges. I was so lucky to come home early that day and beat my parents to the mail. No joke.

Arcanum came out while I was still in High School and the community was alive waaaay before the game came out. Lol. We had such a blast, but once I got to college I just stopped visiting as much. The IRC channel was slowly dying, and I just didn't have that much time to invest in the community because my high school senior year I discovered pot, women, and taking college credits at night.

I actually came back for a brief period but then the collegiate life took over and I never even knew that Toblix, that Norse madman, moved the forum. (I think I sincerely love the man, one of the wittiest f*ckers I've ever had the pleasure of non-meeting).

I've now graduated and actually started my own gaming company. We got a great title coming out, though I didn't come here to plug my mobile game app. But I did think of the inn, with great nostalgia, actually, and decided to see if it was still alive, and if not - how I could go about finding my old friends and really saying something relevant and dear. The Inn gave a hyperactive high school kid an amazing outlet into an oddly mature, yet childish world. I guess it makes sense that I grew to be a Burner (My God, the Arcanum Inn was the digital equivalent of Burning Man! A playground for adults!).

I remember writing those red thong salutes. Those things got out of control. I actually have a bachelor's degree, summa cum laude, from ASU honors college, in creative writing and would do well as a writer if writers did well :p. But my creative writing degree is almost entirely due to my involvement with the Inn, as I am actually Bulgarian and came to America at age 12 (the Inn provided a very lively, varied, witty, and eccentric crowd!)

man... those red thong salutes were EPIC! whew. I would spend my time thinking up disgusting yet somehow elegant phrases, describing the most vile imagery my mind would conjure. And a kid's mind is a powerful thing, all the cogs in that machinery upstairs running individually in their own direction, creating a cacophonous symphony? I dunno, it was a VERY wild, varied, and somehow respectful crowd. Too bad a moderator brought ego to the inn and caused trouble.

Well, let me extend my hand in a shakey-shake, mind the stickyness, as throughout this post I've actually been relieving myself.

I am a much more mature Plastic_Couch (the correct, initial spelling, before I came back, which was eventually shortened by Stravaig to PC).

Also, I am featured in 3 easter eggs in the game, and destroying the brothel couch to get you to sleep with a sheep easter egg was totally my idea and S.Shellman put it in action. (it actually wasn't my idea, but i wish)

I'm almost tearing up here. I loved that Inn!

I now live in Mountain View, CA, Silicon Valley, and sometimes look out the west, toward the ocean, and hear the crowd at the Inn, bustling about, wit and elegance flying back and forth unlike I've seen before or since. And semen. pocketfuls of semen.

And lemme plug this real quick. I think you can tell the game's silly and made by a true Arcanum Inner!

www.musicblockattack.com
    (requires flash)

- Bobby... er... PC
    gay free since last night (one of my fav write-in signatures)
    (my original sign. was the 1984 Party slogan.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength).
    (now I'm like LOL, too dark, man, too dark. Life ain't Hamlet. But this could be the pot talking).
    (I have a talking pot, yes, the plants however are still stubborn and mute).

11. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

I'm... not quite sure what I just read. Welcome?

12. PlastickCouch

PlastickCouch New Member

you've seen the truth and nothing else

Magikot, you've witnessed the most elaborate grassroot video game app advertisement technique ever. the ole' impersonatin' trick, where you think I go left, but the whole time I'm going right, but by the time you figure it out - I'm back on your left!

Haha! Oh, jolly fun we'll have here.

I will meditate on Toblix tonight.

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

14. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Nobody writes in the subject lines at this place.

Woah there Bobby - don't joke about something like that around here. The locals are touchy on the subject.

I'm with you on the Toblix-love though. Do you know if Monkeypunch was any relation to Monkey_Screech at the Inn?

15. PlastickCouch

PlastickCouch New Member

I've found toblix at idlethumbs!

you know, I do think MP (monkey punch) was his own person, but he could've created the monkey screech if he forgot a password or something like I did, back in the day.

Also, I am sorry for trying to impersonate myself. Really, I'm me much more when I do it sincerely.

Also, I found toblix on twitter, and then on idlethumbs forums. We are now facebook friends, but some of the other old Arcanum Inners actually rejected my facebook friend requests because when they said "Will you behave nicely or like you used to?" I said, "I did use to behave nicely." And I guess that was the wrong answer. You always remember people to be much nicer, y'know?

16. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    So you're still in touch with Toblix, eh? Well you can tell him from me that now that he's shut down the forum he's stopped featuring in my homo-erotic dreams. That will put a damper on his day, I'm sure.

I can't think of anyone from the old Inn who would be hung up on niceness though, but maybe all those people had already left by the time I joined.

17. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

18. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    That's not very nice. We don't lock YOUR long boring threads just because we can't be bothered to read them.

19. TimothyXL

TimothyXL New Member

20. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Oh, and Wojit! Funny - I just remembered him because I was chatting to someone and they said "I like rice" and it reminded me of Wojit.

Ah, good times.

P.S. You're welcome.

Our Host!