Shadowrun - The Game

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wolfsbane, Jan 27, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

The bigger they are the harder they fall, they say, Rookie muses, but I for one thought he looked rather cushioned...

Snapping back to it, she walks up to Bullseye and bro-fists him on the shoulder.

I owe you a beer for that. But first we gotta clear this place out. They ought to keep data, people or both here that's connected to the league. Let's find it fast and get the hell out of here.

Rookie remembers the laptop belonging to the roasted man and jogs down the stairs to check it out.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The laptop is toasted.

The basement level is, however, crowded with prisoners. Some who are caged and barely alive, and others on tables who are very much dead.

The smell is indescribable.

After a quick search of the building, Bullseye is confident that nothing else remains of the operation except the children, and barrels of unknown narcotics on the second floor.

The fat man's office is opulent. It includes a credit chip worth Y36,000 in the desk drawer.

After a quick call to Caesar, Spider works out a deal whereby private paramedics come to pick up the children, and a private buyer gets the salvage rights on the second floor:

Fifty thousand is Caesar's offer. Spider wants to take it.

Bullseye agrees, on the condition that he waits to make sure the children are delivered into the proper care, and not merely sold on.

Caesar is a family man, and an old school Family Man, so Rookie is inclined to trust the offer when it comes to the children. No doubt the narcotic chemical were worth a lot more than 50k, but noone feels like haggling.

The stench of the basement is only a part of the oppressive aura of the scene.

3. Wolfsbane

Rookie, having feelings similar to Bullseye's, also decides to stay behind until the children are underway. She accepts the deal.

---

When the last of the children have been properly rescued, Rookie takes Bullseye out for a beer (and maybe then some :p ).

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Game over, man!

86,000 nuyen / 3 people

4 karma each.

Hooray!

5. Wolfsbane

Sweet.

So do we continue or quit while ahead? :p

6. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

How about we keep the 3 coins mechanics, the simple, short missions and the small unit tactics, but play a different universe?

Im enjoying the games but bored with Shadowrun.

I enjoy making new games at least as much as playing old ones.

What do you think?

7. Wolfsbane

Sure. We can always get back to Shadowrun later :)

Did you have a specific setting in mind? If not, I have an idea for a game - at least for the setting.

8. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I have no particular idea, what's yours?

9. Wolfsbane

I have this other game prepared for another site, but so far it hasn't sparked enough interest. We could try it here and aply the same system to it (although we'd have to change it some since my setting is medieval).

I have the whole thing on a word.doc, so I'll just copy it over:

[​IMG]

In the age before recorded time the land was run not by men, but by demons. It was a time of great evil, and the people suffered under the cruel rule of these malevolent spirits. Then came the great sorceress Anais, wise and strong. She gathered what few brave souls remained and waged bloody war on the demons, finally managing to seal them away in another dimension. The cost was however great, and when the dust settled, Anais had perished.

The years that followed were peaceful. With the land to themselves, the humans prospered. There was war, and strife, and evil, but ultimately life was good. As eons passed, history became legend, legend became myth, and the story of the great sorceress faded into oblivion. Humans, always the instrument of their own doom, once more began to delve into the dark mystery of magic. There were those who tried to warn their brethren of the perils that came with such power, but too few listened, and too late.

One hundred years ago, greed finally overcame sense and the seal which had once banished the demons was undone in the search for power. Evil once more seeped into the world. It happened slowly at first, as the minds of magicians and rulers were infested with darkness, but the pace quickened and soon the demons strode forth in all their might. One by one the great realms fell to the onslaught, and the world of man was no more.

Now, humans live however they can, wherever they dare. With the surrounding mountain range being infested by goblins and monsters, men are forced to coexist with demons in the wasteland of their once beautiful nation. They live as nomads or in small, tight knit communities, never knowing what tomorrow might bring.

---

In this game, we will play as a few brave heroes, daring the demonic wasteland in search of a way to survive and prosper. Our heroes have grown up in an unsecure world where violence and death has always waited around the corner. They’re tough, strong and capable – but human. They have flaws, they get scared, and they all have their doubts about the situation. This is the story of their strife in a world where everybody is waiting for the hero that just won’t come. As the story moves on, it is completely ok for our heroes to meet their end at some point or another. There is ultimately no hope, but humans will always try nevertheless.

Humans no longer have an advanced civilization. They can shape steel, they can work leather, wood and stone, but much knowledge has been lost in a very short amount of time. Swords, axes, spears and bows are common enough, but there is no plate armor, no guns or even crossbows, and no mechanical devices to speak of. Settlements consist of tents and shacks. The foremost means of travel is by foot or by horse if you can catch or afford one.

There is magic in the world, but it is wild, dark and dangerous. It is the force with which the demons suppressed the world, and using it comes at a great cost. Evil spirits are never far away from the practicing magician, and are instantly drawn to it if cast in their vicinity. It also damages the body of the caster, first causing fatigue and then all sorts of ailments; aging, blood loss, hallucinations or even demonic corruption. Magicians are however capable of feats no mortal could ever dream of accomplishing. They can part water, change the weather, set fire to people and do other just as dramatic and fantastic things.

Demons come in all shapes and sizes, but are categorized in two separate groups: physical and non-physical. The physical demons, Bael, have a body of their own, which if destroyed causes the demon to die. Baeli can be big or small, scaly or hairy, muscular or skinny; they are as diverse as the animals of nature. The non-physical demons, Djinn, are evil spirits that affect the world either by invading another beings mind or by binding matter into a provisional body. Djinni cannot be destroyed by mundane means, but must be banished or disintegrated by magic. What all demons have in common is their will to dominate, enslave and torture all of humanity.

The land itself is huge and encircled by an almost impregnable mountain range. It was once a place of deep forests, wild rivers and endless plains of green grass. Now the trees have shriveled and died, the rivers have dried, and where there’s still grass it’s yellow and greasy. Instead there are endless plains of dry, inhospitable, sunbaked dirt. The mountain range has been overrun by goblins; small humanoids with yellowish green skin, small red eyes, sharp teeth and a taste for human flesh. All of the old passes have been blocked, and no foreign travelers have passed through for a hundred years. There are animals living here still, goats, horses, dogs and cows, but they are starving just as their human masters are.

---

Sound interesting?

10. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Looks awesome, dude, but maybe a bit depressing and complicated for me at the moment.

I'd like to play, but just not at the present.

Can we do something a bit more lighthearted and simple for now?

11. Wolfsbane

Absolutely. Standard D&D adventure party doing missions for their local town/village?

12. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Sounds great, but I'm a bit fuzzy on D&D mechanics.

What do you think of using the Arcanum universe but expanded a bit. Maybe make it ten times bigger and full of new towns, etc.

We can use the computer game to resolve conflict, or use a simple 1:1 skill-point:coin ratio.

I can start a game if you're in?

13. Wolfsbane

14. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

15. Wolfsbane

What system should we use? With skills and such, I mean. Same as Shadowrun but with different skills?

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I don't know, whatever you think.

I think if we use the ability/hit point scores from the game, then just flip 1 coins for each skill point (and spell/tech point?) then it approximates the probabilities on 'easy' setting.

Alternatively, we can divide the ability scores by 3, the hit points and weapon damage by 5 and the armour class by 20, then just have a 1:1:1 ratio for everything.

1 heads = hit
    3 heads = critical, double damage.
    5 heads = triple damage.

AC subtracts from to-hit coins
    DR subtracts from damage points
    Dodge successes subtract from to-hit successes
    Etc.

Should be fairly easy to pick up and run with it. Interested?

17. Wolfsbane

Very. Would you care to set it up, though? I'm rubbish with systems :p

18. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Too easy just give me a day or two...

19. Wolfsbane

Our Host!