Shadowrun beta test

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by ytzk, Jan 23, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Your fixer, a man known only as 'Caesar', contacts you with news of a job.

A simple snatch and grab of a certain crate in a warehouse on the docks. According to your contact, Mr Johnson (they're always called that), the package will be moved in one week (game time). You have until then to assemble your team and get the job done.

There are two guards and the usual electronic alarms. Should be an easy run.

Reward: 20,000 nuyen + xp.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Spider is brooding in his workshop, pondering his next month's rent, when the call comes through.

From trust-fund golden boy to goblinised pariah, the young orc was pissed off at his poverty, and wanted to hurt the system just as much as he wanted to restore his wealth.

Of course, he was not only ugly and despised as an Orc, he was also aging faster, and would be lucky to live past 50. No amount of money could make him happy, but it helped.

He locked in the contract with Caesar and called his latest contact, a formidable mercenary called Rookie. He didn't know her background, but word on the street was she used state of the art body armour and was a crack shot.

They met in a dank bar near the orc ghettoes to discuss the run.

"I can scout the warehouse and bypass the alarm, but I need backup to handle the guards. 50-50 split, ten Gs each. You in?"

3. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

So it had been a while now since Rookie last had a job. She'd been fired from guard duty at a corporation after having been too rough on some people (she'd shot them dead in stead of arresting them, no biggie in Rookies eyes but whatever), and had poured her remaining cash into keeping her alive and afloat for this month and the next. Finding regular employment was hard, so when the call came she instantly agreed to meet with Spider at the bar.

10K, she said. I'm in. Do I go in guns blazing, or is there a plan?

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I gotta plan, but let's call guns blazing 'plan B'.

First, I'll reconfigure a spider drone to carry my e-lockpick, and send it in with a few others to check the place out and clip the alarms. I'll be able to give you good recon on the layout and the guards.

All goes well, you waltz in and take the package to the loading bay where I'll be waiting with the van.

If all doesn't go well, then go to plan B and take the package to the van.

If you're ready, we should do it tonight, just before dawn. Sound good?

5. Wolfsbane

Rookie cracks a smile.

I was born ready, she says. Gotta say though, I'm itching for plan B. Let's go!

6. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Spider gets to work on his drone while Rookie gets her gear together.
    Electronics = 3/3 heads. Easy done. One spider drone now includes electronic tools.

He drives around to pick up Rookie at about midnight, so she isn't seen in her conspicuous full body armour.

They pull up to the warehouse quietly at around three am and Spider releases 3 drones.

Guard perception = 0/2. Oblivious.

The lock picking spider attempts to diffuse the door lock (roll electronics = 2/3) and succeeds. The door opens without a peep.

The other two drones climb the internal walls to scout. (Stealth = 1/1)

Random dice roll determines a high level of vigilance for the guards. They are patrolling the aisles of the warehouse in a disciplined pattern.

Spider displays the drones' views to Rookie inside the van, including the location of the package. It should be light enough for one person to carry.

Rookie has the go-ahead to proceed, Spider will keep lookout and communicate with her via the comm system built into the van, tuned to her earpiece.

If you need backup, lure them back here; I'll be jacked in the whole time, so I can only shoot from the turret. Good luck!

***describe your tactics and roll appropriate skill***
    For stealth, flip Q -1 coins (3) eg, for burglary or ambush.
    For perception, flip I coins (3) eg, for finding best position wrt guards.
    For initiative, flip 2 coins eg for guns blazing without ambush, and for the first round after a successful ambush.

7. Wolfsbane

Thinking that Spider didn't hire her for being sneaky, Rookie decided to take out the guards in a little ambush rather than trying to get past them without violence.

The drones had fed her enough information on the guards whereabouts, so the merc snuk in through a back door and moved down an aisle as quietly as she could.

Stealth (ambush) 1/3 = success.

Coming up behind one of the poor suckers, who seemed oblivious of her presence, she deemed it go-time and opened fire on his unprotected ass.

Attack: Rifles (3) + Combat Pool (3/4) + Smartlink (+1 aim) + Burst Fire (+1 weapon power -1 aim) = 5/6 flips (+1 weapon power)

8. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Base damage = 2+1 + (4 extra successes) = 7

Soak damage = 2body + 2 armour (no combat pool to dodge because ambushed) = 2/4.

Total damage = 7 -2 = 5/5 hit points = instant death.

The poor bastard never stood a chance. He did a little tap dance with the bullets and fell to the concrete in a delicate rain of blood. The noise echoes through the building.

Another one coming in at two o'clock! Spider shouts over the comm.

Guard #2 initiative = (I+Q)/2 + 0/1 successes = 2.
    Rookie initiative = 3+(1/2 coins) =4
    Therefore, you may act first in this next combat round, with full combat pool.

The guard runs around the corner and Rookie is there waiting for him...

9. Wolfsbane

One more and it's a bingo! Rookie flashes a wolfish grin under her protective mask as guard no 2 runs into her line of fire. She flips the switch to "auto" and lets loose a wall of lead in its general direction.

Attack: Rifles (3) + Combat Pool (3/4) + Smartlink (+1 aim) + Automatic Fire (+2 wp -2 aim) = 3/5 flips (+2 wp)

10. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Attack: 2+2+3= 7
    Soak: 2/4 = 2
    Damage: 5/5. Death.

Well, I suppose that's one way to do it. Nice work! Now quick, grab the package and get back here.

Spider recalls his drones and waits for Rookie to return.

You may choose to loot the bodies. Two pistols and a rather nice pair of cyber-specs are just laying there.

I'm picking up a medicalarm signal, they must have been insured. We'd better make tracks. Two minutes!

Edit: this maths may be off by one; nevermind.

11. Wolfsbane

Screw the loot. 10K is enough for any woman.

Rookie grabbed the package and ran out to Spiders van. Having tossed the box in the trunk, she climbed into the back seat and tapped Spider on the shoulder.

Go go go!

12. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

They make a clean getaway, long before the emergency response.

Delivery to Mr Johnson goes without a hitch and payment is made without argument.

Spider and Rookie each gain Y10,000 and 1 karma (xp), plus a little more street cred.

*end of mission*
    Make purchases during downtime. Usually two weeks elapse between runs.
    Spend karma to raise skills or abilities. Karma system to be arranged shortly.

That was an excellent demonstration mission. Thanks for playing, wb. Shall we continue?

13. Wolfsbane

I enjoyed myself thoroughly. Let's continue!

14. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Cool. Ditto. I will start a new thread.

I might like to use a different character, so Rookie now has Spider as a contact. Ie, you can hire him for future missions, but he will be your npc. Riggers are very useful, not least for the transport.

Next mission will involve magic in some way, to introduce that system, but I'll make a player character to counter anything I throw at you. Also, feel free to change characters at any time.

P.S. in character, and in karma cost, Rookie could raise stealth from zero to one if you want.

15. Wolfsbane

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Update: I am vulcan heat stressed at the moment. Another week of forty plus Celsius.

I may need a couple days to get my head together and/or buy an air conditioner before we continue.

17. Wolfsbane

Want me to run a game with Zanza in the meantime? I think I could do it.

18. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Go for it.

It's all yours. I'd like to keep playing as a pc, if that suits. I just don't have the gumption to make a story, since I overslept in a hot room. Being cooked awake is the worst kind of morning. Drops my IQ to Ronald Reagan if not George W.

Our Host!