Roleplaying discussion - discussion.

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by ytzk, Nov 10, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

What can I say? I start threads, I don't see how I'm responsible for completing them ;)

Besides, I'm a busy man. I've got places to go, monsters to kill!

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

But Jojobobo, wouldn't you get more enjoyment from reading a game which actually existed? Instead of, yknow, one which never happened because none of us have time to make it perfect?

It might actually be good OCD therapy to deliberately make a half arsed effort.

The 100000bc thread was unusual because it was written by an autistic hivemind; it shouldn't be used as an example.

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

No my OCD revolves around deliberately hurting someone, despite many people thinking obligatorily that it revolves in perfectionism or cleanliness in someway. In essence the obsessive thoughts I had that horrendously tormented me were (a) I was a murderer, and would fatally injure someone close to be, (b) I was a paedophile, and would sexually molest children, (c) that I was a racist, and wanted to insult those of a different race to me or that (d) I was just a disgusting misanthropic sociopathic person and I was horrible in innumerable ways.

My compulsions were that I that I pretty much constantly avoided people to the point of where I only saw people due to social or work based obligations, but eventually I got over it and realised I'm not a murderer, child-sex fiend or racist misanthrope and that in general it's only the most conscientious people who develop a form of OCD (despite my desperation to be oh-so-interesting) where they worry about transgressions that will ruin their communal, familial or in general social status in some way. In fact all of my thoughts were ludicrous in the presence of the evidence of being a non-racist, non-violent, non-paedophile person with no criminal record - but of course if you'd presented the information to my previously desperately-troubled self all I would have said was "BUT WHAT IF I AM A MURDERER/MOLESTER/RACIST? HOW DO YOU KNOW I'M NOT?!?! *cry cry cry* *sob sob sob*" If you still don't believe I'm some sort of raving maniac then look up harm OCD.

TL:DR YES I'D LOVE TO TAKE PART IN A ROLEPLAYING GAME FOR OCD THERAPY.

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Oh.

K.

Thanks for sharing that. I am aware of this form of OCD. I certainly did not mean to belittle your suffering.

It also puts an entirely different slant on your sexual deviancy humour and, again, I apologise for implying that it supports a culture of rape.

You've given me an idea, though. A psychological thriller rpg where the players wake up hungover/sleepwalking/amnesiatic.

You've done something terrible because you let your guard down for a split second and now you need to retrace your steps and discover just how terrible it was. Of course Im not qualified to know if this would be therapy or trauma. Maybe it could be titled 'The rapey trauma'.

5. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Re:

I've not let my guard down, I wouldn't be talking so candidly if I didn't feel comfortable with it. But I would be the first to admit that me having thoughts in that way (thoughts that trigger horrific anxiety and not desire) are a complete joke without having genuine desires that aspire to that criminal intention (positive/fantasy-based thoughts of killing people, being attracted to children, being racist). Harm OCD is as ridiculous as it is torturous, and in fact I think that applies to many people's varied OCD.

My personal worst nightmare, but go crazy with it. However if that wasn't what the drug-addled Stephen King already wrote about that in the Shining, then I'll be damned.

6. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I was only teasing. Sorry. I have no intention of making a game based on my idea of your worst fears.

I was making light of it for catharsis, not because I am entertained. Please excuse me.

It's courageous of you to be so candid and it's great you're on top of it.

Our Host!