A game of Arcanum

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wolfsbane, May 7, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Good idea?

1. Da!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Nein!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Muro?

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

How about a little game of Arcanum? Perhaps a treasure- or monster hunt? Or why not some sort of Lovecraftian thriller involving malevolent magic and terrifying technology? We could of course combine the two.

The game could be set a year or so after the Living Ones adventure. My idea here is that the hero's deeds has passed quietly by, that Arcanum never knew of its impending doom or salvation. This basically means that the LO didn't change anything; Cumbria is still decaying, Caladon is still independent and the dwarfs are still locked away in moderate seclusion.

And, just to spice things up a bit, our story could begin in Caladon (seeing that pretty much every other game we've had in Arcanum has begun in Tarant).

Interested? Let me know and I'll start composing something.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I'd like to play level 50 for once.

With the exception of Philes, we've all earned enough Arcanum xp for two lifetimes, and I doubt we'll ever play anything long enough to level up.

Yesno?

3. Wolfsbane

We could try that. It would sure be a welcome respite from having to start over in the same weak incarnation all over.

The one problem I can see, however, is balance. I'm not sure what's badass enough to pose a threat to a posse of lvl 50 shitkickers without it being, say, Elder Joachim on fatigue limiters or Kerghan equipped with immunity towards Kryggird's Falchion AND Wendigroth devices.

We could play without the game mechanics. That way you could be powerful but in a way more fitting with this form of gaming. You can, perhaps, know the disintigrate spell but will surely collapse from the effort it takes casting it. You can be an impressive swordsman without being able to withstand a critical hit with an Arcane Greatsword.

How does that sound?

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I think a human GM could kick the shit out of a posse of level 50 shit-kickers using a few mages and/or a few snipers. Another option is PvP, or good v evil teams, balancing PCs with other PCs. The AI never uses the NPCs to their full combat potential.

Also, if we're role- (and not roll-) playing, ie, collective storytelling and not power-gaming, then I don't see the need to power-down. We've played as gods in the past, quite successfully.

Anyway, your game = your call. I'm always happy to start again again. I do like the idea of brutal combat mechanics; as in Shadowrun.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

God game was the best game ever. The ending was so tastefully done with such creativity and finesse.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Didn't participate in the god game, but I'll wager a guess that it ended in mass tentacle rape.

7. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Actually, I was referring to the god game 2.0.

8. Wolfsbane

Our Host!