Sudden Death Steampunk Superfriends

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by ytzk, Feb 1, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

It is an ordinary summer's day in old London town. The sunlight is shining on the smog and glistens on the scum of the Thames. Flies dance like pixies in the effluent in the streets and decorate the corpses in the slums like raisins on a spotted dick. The shuttle of industrial looms in the factories is punctuated by the screams and squelching of the child-workers too slow to remove a hand or a leg, and the hue and cry of hawkers in the marketplaces is counter-timed by the cry of stop, thief!

Meanwhile, luncheon is served in the lavish gentlemen's club, The Pink Whistle. Once a stately home in the prestigious Vine Street, it is now home to numerous bellicose bachelors and widowers, as well as those married men from public schools and the military who never felt at ease around women anyway.

It is also the headquarters of a select group of gentlemen, chosen to solve particularly irksome puzzles and counter the most dastardly threats to the empire. Today's order of business: the theft of a tiara worth over two thousand pounds, and the incidental murder of a manservant in the same house.

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Anthony and his compatriots sat in their private room at The Pink Whistle, discussing the latest of their high-profile work.

...That such a valuable item was stolen is reason enough for concern, though the accompanying murder would suggest either the heist was botched...or our mystery burglar had long-standing issue with the manservant at the estate.

How was he killed? Was there any sign of a struggle?

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Horace perched on his wing backed chair, took a puff of his cigar, blew the smoke into his snifter of brandy and inhaled the aromatic smoke deeply before answering.
    Well, old chap, I did have a looksee at the crime scene, wot? But of course I was very, very, very drunk at the time.

*Rolled Spot(5)= 0 successes.

4. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Sam stood up from one of the luxuriously chairs and lighted a strong smelling cigar. He asked.

Interesting case. It almost appears that the thief knew about the whereabouts of this tiara. Yes. There is a good chance that the servant was his insider. Afterwards, killing him, because the thief did not want to share. On the black market this object is worth a fortune. The other possibility is that the servant knew too much. But...who knows, perhaps there is more than meet the eye with this case. Just like the horrific Case of the Skinner. Ha. You could say that the bastard who did that took what skinners* do a bit too literal. *sigh* Yes, I am quite aware that I shouldn't joking about this, but that is how I kept my sanity intact.

*shudder* Oh, man. That case was just as awful as he still can remember. He NEVER will forgot the smell or even the sight of those decaying bodies of those murdered and skinned little children. Yes, that is why he started to drink. Only to forget it all. Luckily his wife and daughters were there for him. Just as he was recovering from his wounds.

Could you tell more about the victim? His personality, name and how his standings were with his master and the other servants? Any witnesses? Who knew about the tiara as well? Well...excluding the master of the mansion and its servants of course.

* Skinner: a thief specialized in robbing children and taking their clothes. Usually females.

Edit: Revised with more details.

5. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Abbas sat back in his corner armchair, away from the rest of the group, waiting for a particularly interesting detail to appear before commenting. Mostly wondering as to why he was assigned this group and seemingly trivial mission when national security was always at stake. He had read the police report, and it didn't seem to pertain whatsoever to his vocational mainstay. Perhaps HQ knew something he did not, which he would discover shortly.

6. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

*end of round, I don't have a story in mind yet, I was hoping someone would advance a plan to investigate, so...*

Sam Knight, falling back on the basic footwork of a policeman, goes to querry the household, and investigate the crime scene.

*Spot(5) =4 heads; Persuade (5) = 3 heads.

He returns before afternoon tea. The lady's nephew had dunnit. A wastrel and a gambler, the young man had stolen and hocked the tiara to pay his debts, and murdered the manservant who caught him in the act.

The lady, fearing scandal, bought her tiara back, sent her nephew abroad and bribed the prosecutors and Sam Knight to drop the issue. Sam, knowing all too well how the system worked, settled for a generous pension to be paid to the manservant's widow and children. Case closed.

*Help me out here; in character, what's a good mystery/adventure for our crew?

7. Grossenschwamm

Anthony was rather disappointed in the nature of the latest crime, but saw something quite unusual when inspecting the floor near his company's loading dock. Earlier that day his workers had claimed some of the boxes in the latest shipment had been opened from the inside. Deciding this latest discovery was more along the lines of something they'd all be clamoring to work on, he unveiled it at their next meeting.

Spot (4) = 3 heads

On the way to The Pink Whistle, Anthony noticed on several occasions men who appeared quite unlike those he's used to walking the streets of London, all with recognizable embroidery on their clothing, save for one who had a large hole in his sleeve. Unsure of what exactly was afoot, he chose to voice his concern on this matter as well.

Quite a shame that our latest case had ended up so dull. It was as pedestrian as I had feared, not to downplay the death of the good lady's manservant. However, I found something unusual in the loading dock of my factory warehouse -

Anthony showed the item to the gentleman present.

-It's a bright cloth badge embroidered with the image of a man who has ten heads. The last shipment to that gate arrived from India, and apparently, certain boxes had opened themselves before they were taken.
    Furthermore, as I made my way here, I noticed several men who appeared Indian in descent, both in garb and complexion, walking my usual route...and one of these men appeared to be lacking precisely this badge due to a hole in his garment. Quite peculiar, I must say. And I'm certain my business wasn't the only one to receive parcels so lively.

Anthony punctuated his last sentence with a smirk. This case, it would seem, was more their speed.

8. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Horace screwed in his monocle, peered at the emblem on the patch and passed it on to the others

Haven't the foggiest! What do you chaps make of it? Abbas, old boy? Seems more your sort of game, wot?

9. Arthgon

Sam lights another cigar.

If I may speak before my turn. It has the smell of a human stow-away. We have dealt more than often with this kind of business. These poor bastards were just as poor as Job, and had to pay a high price to enter our country. However, this does not sound very common. Now, about that badge. There is a great possibility that the man lost this while climbing out off one those boxes. He must have used those clothes to get out off the area without any suspicion. Perhaps we should investigate the immediate area and ask around some questions. Even about this badge.

Edit: Revided and more detailed. Besides, stow-away is the right word that I was looking for. Must have been without a good coffee.

10. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Abbas takes a close look at the patch, not recognizing its symbolism, but rather its typical meaning.

It is evident that we are dealing with a group that wish to style themselves a secret society. And not a very good one at that, considering they decided to leave this behind for us to find.

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

*end of round, obviously. Good work everyone, keep it up*

12. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

*Grossenschwamm misses 1 turn*

Horace delegates his valet to ask around the lower classes while he consults some old boys from the East Indian Trading Company and does some research in the Hall of Records.

*questioning Persuade(5) = 2
    *research Spot (5) = 5

Well, Jeeves has asked around, and these chaps haven't been seen in the... usual places for sailors on shore leave, if you follow me, ahem! And I think I know why... This symbol was used by a well disciplined and rather gruesome assassin cult in the subcontinent with a penchant for slaughtering dignitaries and a reputation for violently opposing her majesty's interests. I shudder to think what they're doing on our little island.

I think we ought to take a closer interest in these chaps, wot? Perhaps we should attempt to waylay one of them and... ahem... convince him to spill the beans..?

13. Grossenschwamm

A guild of assassins arriving in Great Britain was cause for concern, especially considering their MO. Anthony pondered what Knight had said and offered his own views on the matter.

It wouldn't appear too difficult to spot one, considering their pride of culture prevents them from wearing the clothes of a typical Londoner. Though I'm concerned at the carelessness mentioned by Abbas - this could suggest that they're daring anyone to try and stop them. As much as I might deride someone for foolhardiness, the level at which they operate seems to indicate they can afford being so brash.

Anthony took a puff from a calabash style pipe, and continued -

We had best arrange to meet with one of our guests as soon as possible. Considering how they've a penchant for killing dignitaries and disregarding the word of our Majesty, suppose we stage a farewell for a "well-known" official meant to set up in India? Nothing extravagant, mind you - an easy to spot article in a periodical, establishing the information I've specified as well as what residence they're leaving behind.

We simply meet the fellow there. I've used "simply" rather liberally, as these are highly trained assassins who probably observe their own in action.

14. Arthgon

Sam took a sip from his glass of brandy before he spoke-

Good God! An assassin guild in the heart of the British Empire. That IS bad news. Great planning always minimizing the risks for they may be dangerous indeed. I DO agree with the plan to lure one of those assassins to the open with a periodical. Taking out an assassin is risky, but it is worth to try. An old friend of mine works at one of the newspapers. Ronald Mason. Perhaps it's best to ask him. Yes?

*sip* Mmm. Good brandy. Now I come to think of it, I can ask for back-up from my old buddies from the Detective Department as well. Just to make sure we have our back covered. Yes? Don't worry, I only ask those whom I trust. Well. Trust enough...just enough to work with. If that is not good enough, I can always ask my partner Tim Sibbons. He is a bit wet behind the ears, but a competent inquiry agent.

15. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I am certain we will perform well no matter the case, but if you feel more confident bringing some backup along, then so be it. Since they are not aware of our existence yet and as such are yet to gauge our power, and believe they are only disposing of one lowly official, their confidence should surely get the better of them in this instant.

Abbas proceeds to instinctively scan the street outside the window before continuing.

I'd expect them to send no more than two acteurs, if they even take the bait at all.

16. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

*Gross misses his turn again*

Sounds like a keen idea. See to it Sam, old bean. We can use my townhouse, wot? I never go there anyway, what with the bally eel pie they do at the Pink Whistle *omnomnom* So we're agreed? We set the bait in the daily rag and lay the ambush at my townhouse, wot?

*When everyone has laid their tactical plans, I will roll for all*

17. Arthgon

Just after tea time Sam left the club and took a cab to his old friend who works at one of those local rags. Ronald Mason. The blond and scrawny man was interested and agreed to place the news (He still wanted some money for it).

Next stop: The Detective Department. There he spoke with a couple of friends whom Sam trust enough.

Gave them a short, but a detailed briefing and send them SEPERATEDLY (all together at once would definitely spark some suspicion) to the set-up of the ambush; the townhouse. Now that all is done, he and Tim went to the place by taking some short cuts and all to make sure they are not followed.

*Sam's tactical plans*

While smoking a cigar Sam lay-out his plans. I will place a couple of plain-clothes around the place *points at the best strategic places on a map* right here and there. To make sure that the assassins can't get out and warn the others. Not to mention that they'll help us as an extra leverage and covering our backs. Me and Tim will stand by to take immediate action. Yes?

Tim Sibbons: HP 6, spot 4, fire arms 3

The Detectives:

D.C. Walt Thorn: HP 6, fire arms 3, spot 3
    D.C. Carl Alberts: HP 6, fire arms 2, spot 2
    D.C. August Cohen: HP 5, fire arms 2, spot 3
    D.C. William Smith: HP 6, fire arms 2, spot 3

18. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I will guard the back door. Should they attempt to enter discreetly, they shall first need to get past myself, assisted by one of your detectives. Should any such ruckus occur on either side of the house, the attentive members of the group should be aware of the ensuing events, and come to the aid of their comrades.

Abbas proceeds to station himself along with one of Knight's detectives right inside the back door of the manor.

19. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The assassin approaches via the rooftops, and enters via an upstairs window. He notices two of the footpads on the streets below, but Sam and Abbas have a chance to see him.

*Assassin spot = 2/5, prowling =3/5.

*Sam spot = 2/3 = fail.

*Abbas spot = 2/5 = fail.

Inside, in the downstairs drawing room, Horace plays bait while Ferrous Chap poses as a suit of armor in the corner.

*Horace spot = 4/5 = he hears the approach and gives a silent signal to Ferrous Chap.

*Battle!*
    Ferrous Chap attacks first, attempting to grab the assassin: Melee = 3/3 + 2 =5 hp damage attack.

Assassin dodges = 3/5 = 5-3 = 2 hp damage (he now has 6-2=4hp) and attacks ferrous chap. Melee = 3/5 -2 = 1 hp damage to Ferrous Chap.

Simultaneously, Horace bellows for help and lunges at the assassin with an empty wine bottle as a club, attempting to knock him unconscious: Melee = 4/5 = 4 hp damage.

The assassin is out cold!

*For scrupulously posting in turn for three rounds in a row, Arthgon and Yuki gain 1 xp each. You may purchase skills or HP at a rate of 1:1xp.

The posting order remains as follows: Gross, ytzk, Arthgon, Yuki. I will not necessarily post as GM in between rounds. Gross, it's your turn to post.

20. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

*Just heard from Gross, he's unable to post for the next several days and will not be penalised.

Anthony Stark retires to his mansion to recover from his wounds, while Horace retires to the Pink Whistle for eel pie and brandy, to recover from exerting himself.

See what you can find out from this rapscallion, old chaps. Pip pip!

*Arthgon's turn*

Our Host!