Character creation 100, 000 BC

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by ytzk, Nov 30, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

2. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Yep. Loved the background story and all. One of my favorites.

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

4. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I have just enjoyed re-reading our story.

Not only did it remain true to my intial vision, but it also grew well beyond it in interesting ways.

I have some ideas which I'll just float here ooc.

1. Choon, Otro's apprentice, grows up to become the lord of ten thousand spears.

2. The 'new boys' attempt a coup and/or provoke the neanderthals into a mass attack on mesopotamia.

3. Haethor's matriarchal herd retains a policy of alliance with any of the original unified tribe.

4. Haethor himself has been captured and used as a symbol for Nago's H.sapiens cult in europe. A kind of captive god for their temple. His old friendship with the protagonists is revealed and causes a drastic political shift in the lost boy armies, essentially subverting the whole cult into Dogman's control.

5. Nago meets with the protagonists and offers them a compromise/temptation: to support his leadership in return for a cease-fire, and to lead the neanderthal armies into the empire. I.e, he'd return europe to them if they could give him africa.

6. While the neanderthals assault mesopotamia, our heroes sail straight to e. africa and take the empress herself hostage. They force a treaty of some kind, maybe even a marriage between the empress and a neanderthal.

Just ideas.

6. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

It just turned spring here, like clockwork on Sept 1st, and I'm no longer hibernating so, yeah, I may begin to proceed to commence starting to think about being more active in our game.

When Mole and Ratty asked Badger to free Toad Hall from the weasels, did he not sleep under his handkerchief for three months before he acted? I rest my case.

Anyway, there's some brilliant writing from Gross and he's contributed the most as story-teller so I'm following his lead.

Tl;dr - still playing, but still slowly, counting Gross as GM.

7. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

In the meantime, I was wondering about the differences of the spoken language between the Neathertalers and the Homo Saptiens. Was it even uberhaupt possible to communicate between the representatives of both species? I cannot remember at the moment how it supposed to be in those days.

8. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

9. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Part of the theme of this story is that language is older and more universal than humans.

We have wolves and elephants and ape men as characters, so two kinds of H sapiens talking is a small stretch.

The traditional schools of paleoanthropology are very unscientific, imo. They have tended to make up creation myths for modern humans, rather than testable hypotheses. The idea that cro magnum man invented syntax seems like pure vanity to me.

Linguistic anthropologists tend to agree that ancient peoples had fully developed languages, as rich as any today.

The advent of civilisation was more a matter of ecology and politics than any particular cognitive leap such as language, at least that's how I'm playing it.

As far as I'm concerned, after ten years of game time, our cosmopolitan cavemen can speak a dozen languages each.

Our Host!