Questions regarding Character Creation and others.

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Arthgon, Oct 14, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

The major thing that I keep on run up against (is this the right wording?), is that I have some problems with creating a new character for a new game and some other things. To prevent further embarrassment and banishment I have some questions and need some hints and/advice.

1) Do you need a full background history for your character and what for advice could you give to me?

Like this?

Bandits killed her parents. When she was four years old, a ragtag of thieves adopted her. From Master John she learned the Thieving skills. Tragedy struck again when she lost the whole group and her master through a bloody battle with guards at eighteen years old. Now totally on her own, she wants to find her own way in the wild world.

2) Which things did I wrong and how can I fix these things?

3) How long should the posts be? Is there a max?

4) Too much imagination? Explain.

5) How many characters are you allowed to play? Example a sister or two brothers of the character.

6) Any further advice.

2. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

1. The more the better. Can depend on the RPG but generally you want some kind of background so everyone can get a grip of the character.
    Here you want to explain why the character knows what he/she does and why she/he behaves the way he/she does.

2. You can always elaborate. Your exampla is very cliché, but that can work. It all depends on the setting. Does a thief guild exist? How violent is the world? etc etc.

3. Except the forum limit there is no max limit to how long the post is. It all depends on the situation. But every post is like a background story. You want to be elaborate, paint an image of what your character is doing, yet you have to give the other players time to react on your action. You don't explain how you run 50 m to the guard, slice him open in two and then run back in one post. It's a good idea to give the other players a chance to interupt. This can be done in a various ways.

4. Keep it simple. Keep it clean. You dont have to jump ten feet in the air to describe how you are killing someone, you can kill someone in just as much text from the ground.

5. Generally you are allowed to play one charcter, but can in some extent use NPC charcter (IE controlling a guard with your mindcontrol skill, describe how the wolf reacts at your call of the wild etc etc)

Take notice that I have only answered your questions here and does not remember any of the critics you have gained in the past. Therefore some answers may not fully explain to what you are doing wrong, but rather what anyone can think of to do right. In my opinion.

3. Arthgon

Thank you for your fast answer on these questions.

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

My two cents, Arthgon:

I think you are perceived as trolling because you 1) ask too many questions about character creation and 2) push the bounds of the genre too much.

My advice is 1) keep your head down, ie, don't write a long list of questions which dominate the first page of discussion and 2) if in doubt, make a conservative decision that will ensure your character fits in to the group and the game, ie, not unusual in the game-world.

A good rule of thumb is to play a character with a personality similar to your own, that way your instinctive ooc reaction is always suitable in-character.

If all else fails, you can ask the GM to provide you with a premade character for you to play, without being bogged down in character creation.

5. Arthgon

ytzk: Thank you for pointing out my mistakes (that I agree with) and giving the advices that I absolutly need to save me from further embarresment. Thanks.

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

I agree, asking the GM to make you a character is a great idea. In addition, you may consider asking someone else to play your premade character for you.

7. Arthgon

You know that I would rather play my own or the pre-made character than someone else plays it. Would not it much better that you could give some tips regarding the roleplay of my character in a rp thread?

Edit: I Thank you both (Wobbler and Ytzk) for giving the advices and tips to how to behave or know what to do regarding the Character Creation.

I will for certain follow your help and good advices.

Edit: I think I know what one of my problems is: I really should triple-check my grammar and sentences, indeed.

8. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Trolling his own thread. Shame.

9. Arthgon

Nope. I was not trolling on my own thread. Thats because I want to have a better view of what I have done wrong with the roleplaying of my own created character and such.

Through this way I can prevent to make the same mistakes.

10. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

You should just learn to write english in a way that doesn't look retarded.

11. Arthgon

Wolfbane: That is what I said. I really should triple-check my sentences of the things that I have written.

Are you using Google Translate or something similiar to that?

12. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

You don't need to triple-check your writing. You need to study more english, or try to learn more by studying how people write here.

And fuck you very much for that insult. Now you're definitely banned from all my future games.

13. Arthgon

Wolfbane: Sorry about what I have said to (or technical written) you. It really was not meant as an insult. But. Actually a pang of jealousy came over me, because you are better in the English grammar. Can you forgive me? I will keep my jealousy in check next time.

Do not ban me from further rps, just because I made a mistake and did not feel right about it.

Edit: English is my third language. But I really try my best.

14. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Our Host!