Discussion for The God Game 2.0

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wolfsbane, Oct 9, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I recently read through some of our old games here, and since I've got time on my hands, I got the urge to start up something new (once more). I'm thinking we might play either some sort of God Game 2, or just a classic medieval/fantasy (epic) tale.

Post if you're interested.

Also, so sorry Arthgon, but judging from past experiences and the general reaction towards you on this particular forum, you may not participate unless all the other players want you to.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The best thing about role-playing is starting again. I'm in.

3. Fresh Air

Fresh Air New Member

I would be most interested in a medieval fantasy.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Damn you! Got three weeks of uni left, no time to sink effort in. I'll have to sit this one out I'm afraid. God game would of been fun, having read through the previous one recently the only reason I saw it crumbling was because Caity didn't like other gods interacting with a piece of land.

5. Wolfsbane

We could try a mix of both games; playing Gods with acts in the beginning, shaping the world, and then go on playing as individuals in our mutually created world. Cool/uncool?

6. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Cool. Its an interesting idea. I do have some questions:

1) Do you really need to make a full character background for your God(ess)?

2) Which Races/creatures/monsters are allowed to create or are there no restrictions?

Don't worry, I will not mess this one up, I really promise. Also I will only do the Deities part.

7. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

>Arthgon can't participate
    >Arthgon wants to participate

8. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Sorry to act like the spaz, but what do these roleplaying threads consist of? As in are they done by instant messaging or is everything conducted on the forum? Also most roleplaying systems use dice, is this as I gather just done on an ad hoc basis where the players do stuff and no strict rules are laid down? I did read the FAQ type thread that's stickied, but still having never participated in something like this I just wanted to make sure. I guess the answers I'm expecting are "all on forum", and "though there is no laid down system your character is expected to act within the way you described them". Furthermore how often do people participate? Because I guess I should be able to post almost if not everyday to something like this, but I guess I don't know if that's enough. Do people take turns in posting up responses or can anyone just jump in when they feel like it - obviously in an appropriate way though and not one that would take over the session? How much of an active role does the thread creator take in the narrative? I think it would be better if there was a more clear-cut FAQ to sort out these queries.

I think I can guess what the responses are going to be to most of these questions, and if I'm right then count me in. I'm not experienced with these things but I'm sure I'd cope fine.

9. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

It's all done in this subsection of the forum delivering messages and responses in the thread. There are no set rules on what one can or can't do, as long as you stick with the setting.

The only thing one are to avoid is "power-play" E.I writing what another character does.

Example: Rob being my charcter and the innocent wanderer being Wolfsbane

The power play here is "telling the story" as if I hit Wolfsbane and actually render him unvonscious. That is for him to decide, not me.

And how often one can participate doesn't really matter. You can jump in at anytime. The story can always continue, even if you leave in the middle. But the longer you wait the more you miss. But just write when you feel like it or have the time. Quality over quantity.

The thread creator himself decides how much he narrates, that usually depends on the setting and the creator. Is there a special quest, special enemies or pure sandbox( do whatever you want)?
    Is the game at a standstill and needs a push forward? These things decide. The creator is the DM and is here to enhance your experience.

In this case Wolfsbane is also the Judge and Executor with the ability to remove posts and punish misbehavior. But don't worry about that, Arthgon is the only one that ever has been banned form participating.

Some of your questions might be answered in this ramble, otherwise you will have to make a numbered list with question.

also, I'm game for the "start as god, end has minion" thing.

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the God game. I like your idea about mixing the two Wolfsbane. My only query about that is how we would go about it. We each get a turn to write something about the world we are in, then we continue the story as characters inside the world? That way we would all have something we want in the world while be forced to adapt to things we didn't account for.

Good to see Arthgon and Yuki are already trolling the RP before it has started.

11. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

No don't worry wobbler your ramble answered my questions perfectly, thanks.

I was quite drunk last night when I said I would join, and now come the morning the realisation of how much uni work I actually have to do has dawned on me. Therefore I think I'll have to sit this one out too, but I will keep an eye on how this develops.

12. Arthgon

I also sit this one out, because I have not got good feeling with this game and I sudden realized that I really have not got the time for this, because I really have to work on my several projects. (one is a halloween episode of Maniac Mansion)

13. wobbler

Or is it the fact that you are not allowed to participate in the game that prevents you? I mean, seriously Arthgon, why do you even post in a thread when you clearly haven't read the first post.

14. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Ma-ma-ma-maximum trolling, that's why.

15. Arthgon

Ouch. I should have read that. Sorry. That is what you get when you have many things on my mind. Working perhaps too long and hard on my projects to get in done. (Still working on the reset scripts for rroyo.)

Now if you excuse me, I am going to back to work.

Also, I'm butthurt.

16. Wolfsbane

My idea was that we'd take a few turns to create the setting, God Game style, and then continue our tale as inhabitants of the world we've made. We don't have to "belong" to the deity we played formerly, and the story doesn't have to be about the Gods. I'll dream up some quest or event for us to play out (or let you do it :p)

There are some things we need to decide upon before we begin, though:

One of them is physics. Are the standard laws of physics in our real universe standard in our fictional as well? I think they should be, because it would save us time and actions as Gods to do real awesome stuff instead of inventing gravity. But if you want to, we could leave our universe completely unwritten and invent stuff as we go along.

Another is game rules when we're Gods. The reason I bring this up is because of the schizm in the previous game where some participants believed I took too many liberties with my actions. The original rule of the game is that anything is possible, but I think we can distinguish one rule right away: you cannot make another player do anything by writing it (as in wobblers example). But is everything else up for modification? Can you unmake an action with an action of your own, as in just writing that "my God outdid the people that other God just created in his/her turn", or do you have to find a smarter way of doing so? I prefer the latter, because it's more challenging and will prevent the game from becoming a pissing contest. But once again, this is open to discussion.

17. Ash

Ash New Member

Hi, im new to these forums but id like to join your RP, I do have some previous expriance.

18. wobbler

You are welcome to participate.

I don't think you should be allowed to directly affect another players work. As in "I wipe out all of your people". But one can set up things that can wipe out a race as in "A plauge is realised in the country of Deity X" or "I commaned my people to wage war".

19. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Nice try, Arthgon.

20. Arthgon

It is more likely that it is one of YOUR sockpuppets Muro, because you are totally into them.

Our Host!