Discussion for The Mercenaries 2000

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wolfsbane, Aug 20, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

So, the last game of The Mercenaries died out, sadly, quite fast. Someone in the thread mentioned that a modern day version of that game would've been more interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go. The basic elements of the previous game will remain the same; I will play the contractor and present the opposition pn each mission. In between missions you will partake in a seperate storyline involving your boss. The progress of the story and events whenever you're on missions are entirely up to you to control. There is very much freedom.

Some things we need to decide before we begin are:
    - When, exactly, does our game take place? In the present, in the near future or perhaps in the near past?
    - What kind of mercenaries are you? Are you personel hired for fighting in wars or are you bounty hunters?
    - If you can think of anything else to add to the discussion, please do.

2. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I think we could make up a nice conflict taking place in the near future and have the contracts revolve around that. Perhaps a civil war in some African country. Classy.

Edit: I was the one with that idea. I have no idea how to forum role play and I haven't cared for it in the past (writing out a small novel in each post etc), but I might give this a try! I promise! If other people are onboard!

Edit 2: Would we all be employed by one corporation or would we have to make up our own? You mentioned "your boss," I take that as we'd all have our own personal boss... That's why this is coming up.

3. Wolfsbane

You will all be part of the same corporation and will answer to the same coordinator. You will also be new to the company - this does not mean that you're new to the trade.

A conflict in an African country, eh? I could do that.

Regarding the roleplay:
    It's easy. Read previous games and try to get the feel of it. The most important rules are:
    - Don't assume control of another players character unless you are absolutely sure that you're allowed to.
    - Be open minded. Don't get too snowed in on your own ideas. Listen to what other people want and compromise.
    - Use your imagination. But not too much (see some of Arthgons previous characters to get my drift :p)

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

My favourite was the god game. I am not sure if I will participate in this one though as I usually get bogged with some uni work and then we stop posting around that time.

5. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

Well, I'l do with this as I do with every other forum RP. I'll tell you I'm on board and then we see how much I post. I promise to give it a try:)

6. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

One contribution to this subforum, and it's a home run.

7. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

My favorite was Der Haven. I had a good feeling with my character Alexandra and the story. Would there be any possibility that this rp will live again?

Perhaps the 19th Century or the 1920s would be cool. I will try participating in this one. However, I do have some questions:

1) Can we use one of the previous characters? I probably use Eadgar or Alexandra. (With reasonable chances of course like background and other things) If it is okay.

2) Any real life corporations?

3) Medicines and herbs?

4) Can our characters speak or learn the languages of the people of Africa?

5) Do we start with weaponry, etc or do we have buy them?

6) Thirst and hungry?

8. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

I was thinking this would take place in like 2015, or any such nearby year.
    If you'd like, I suppose you could use real life corporations such as Xe Services (Blackwater Worldwide), Obelisk, Aegis, etc. in your portfolio/resumé. For Wolfbane's company, I suppose he'd have to make one up himself.

As for African languages, isn't that kind of up to you? You might have served in a branch of your homeland's armed forces posted in an African country, and as such have a basic understanding of at least one such language?

In the modern age, a range of weaponry is usually provided to the security contractor by the company itself, if the mission and VIP (or target) is specific. If an open contract has been issued (such as a bounty), there aren't really any rules, and you're free to acquire your own armaments.

9. Arthgon

How is everything in 2015? You know. Are there any climate changes, improved technology, wars (civil wars or world war), etc.

10. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Not so different! Most likely the U.S. Military have finalized their Individual Carbine and Modular Handgun System programs and as such picked successors for the M4 carbine and M9 pistol.

Try not to make it too sci-fi, eh?

And you know those silly Africans and their civil wars, there will probably be a lot of turmoil in North Africa. And the middle east! Well, we better make something up!

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of making an ex-SAS Scottish guy, hard as nails.

12. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Zanza stop stealing my ideas you are not even going to play!

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I suppose I could be Batman instead.

14. wobbler

wobbler Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be a teletubbie. Oh, and my parents were killed by africans and by the AK47 my Father gave me I have gone on a journey of vengeance to avenge my dead mother.

15. Arthgon

I am probably going to be a modern Blackbeard type called Edward Duke.

He is going to be a cynical, mean sea captain who went on pirating for the easy money and power. When he was about to get his ultimate acclaim on power and a lot of money, he was betrayed by his bootsman Billy O'neill. The government surprised him and sunk his ship.

Now as an only survivor (his whole crew died in the battle. Exept Billy. Who already left) he is stranded in Africa. The rest come later.

16. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

Man, I can't tell if Arthgon's post was a combo breaker or not.

17. Arthgon

I was still fixing or correcting that post.

He knows the local language a bit, because he did some business. Shady business with them (smuggle wares, like weapons and drugs).

18. Wolfsbane

I think he's serious...

So no, Arthgon, you can't play that character. For many reasons. Also, if I suspect at any point that you're going to troll and/or be retarded in this thread, I'm throwing you out. Is that clear?

19. Arthgon

Yes. I understand.

Name: Captain Edward Duke
    Background: Because one of the African countries was on the brink of civil war again, Edward and his team was sent by the US military or the U.N. to keep the peace. But some years later he began to work for Blackwater. The rest comes later.

20. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

At least Wolfsbane has some sense. :/

Our Host!