New game

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Wolfsbane, Mar 11, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I need something to do in my spare time and I love roleplaying (and I'm sure a few of you do, too), so I figured we need a new game.

My idea for a setting is a low-fantasy, medieval world in a scandinavian-like country. The world is still a vast unexplored place, and there are all sorts of wonders and dangers outside the settlements. The summer is mild and bright and the winter is dark and harsh.

As for a plot, I'm not too picky. Everyone or someone can have something important to do. Just as long as it's not about saving the world from evil (or something like that).

Please share ideas or thoughts. Are you people at all interested in a game?

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I'm all for it, but there will be people who whinge because it doesn't go their way, or so I've noticed.

I remember partaking in an epic RP on the original Arcanum Forums years ago where we were transported into the world of Arcanum, forced to go through the events. Some of us searched to find the Living One while others went out to sabotage their journey in the hopes of never completing the story and therefore never being transported back to the real world. If I remember correctly it turned out each of us was the Living One so to speak and our favourite PC accompanied you as your private bodyguard/Virgil.

3. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Wow. That actually sounds incredibly freaking badass, Zanza. Sorry I missed out on that.

As for low-fantasy, exactly how low are we talking about? No magic, minimal magic, normal magic with unusually hight costs?

4. Charonte

Charonte Member

That reminds me of Nox...

Low fantasy traditionally means low magic or so I hope. It's more interesting to write in something where not every man and his dog can throw a fucking fireball - heck even survivalist horror in a low-mid magic world would be something.

I'm all for it as long as establish the setting a little first (though not necessarily the characters). Doubt I'll have the chance to post that often though.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind starting it up, however it would have to be over a period of time where people don't have too much pressing matters over a month or two, that way it would get the attention it deserves to be creative and engaging.

6. Wolfsbane

Low-fantasy means low to very low magic. Magic items are legendary and the few that do exist have the power to change the course of history. Think excalibur, that sort of thing. The same goes for wizards and witches: there are very, very few practicioners of magic and the ones who knows how to use it are either in the stories told around the campfire or completely unknown.

Fantasy creatures: I think we should limit ourselves to traditional fantasy creatures, but with a hint of scandinavian folklore embedded in them. Elves, dwarves, trolls and the occasional forest spirit. And when I say troll, I mean the Bauer kind of troll, not DnD.

Sound good to you?

7. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Sounds good to me. *nicks off to start working on a herbalist-type character*

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Is it possible to play as a knight, prince, or are we only limited to the lower or middle-class occupations from the Middle Ages?

9. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

10. Wolfsbane

Personally, I'm ok with people playing from all the different classes of society, but as I said, the world is a big place and people might not have heard about the order or kingdom (or whatever) you represent. We must remember that the dark ages were not an information-based society as ours is now. Many things were uncertain and small kingdoms appeared and vanished pretty chaoticly across the world.

We need to establish other things as well. Is there a major religious belief, or does the people of our game believe in whatever they want to (or maybe nothing at all?). I think there should be a sort of institution of religion, like the christian church, that tries to convert followers to it's cause, and that the most widespread belief should be worship of the forces of nature mixed up with regional deities (like in the early scandinavian religion). This way, we could get some nice conflict out of eachothers religious beliefs.

11. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I'm going to skip this one seeing though Arthgon is going to troll it.

12. Wolfsbane

But if Arthgon didn't troll it? What if he didn't participate?

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Why sir I believe I could contribute.

14. Wolfsbane

Bally, that does sound rather good.

Arthgon, you're going to have to pass on this one.

15. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

So I'm working on a character based on This Bloke Right Here, and I wanted to know if that was tolerable to you guys. Basically, aging, a bit world-weary, well-versed in the medicine of those times, religious but in a quiet way, generally dedicated to doing good, that kind of thing.

16. Wolfsbane

Sounds good to me.

I am thinking of playing a seasoned warrior, dedicated to the cause of driving the new religion out of his land. He's a firm believer in the old polyteistic religion and always looks to the priests for guidance and/or advice. Having been through many fights, both duels and battles, he has developed a knack for survival and, of course, killing other people. Blaspheming around this guy isn't something you ought to do if you haven't got the strength to back up your words.

17. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

What if I promise that I shall not troll it, but only doing some decent roleplaying? Just give me some hints and tips.

18. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I guess that is acceptable Arthgon, after all, I do feel mean for kicking you from the RP.

Interesting character Wolfsbane, I too was thinking of playing a knight who is over zealously trying to eradicate blasphemous practices such as 'magic'. We agreed that magic was low, so I was thinking its more of a superstition and usually involves doing things the way Moses did.

19. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I reckon we can handle that, Arthgon.

Zanza, just what would your character classify as 'magic'? As in, would my character and his/her herbs (I'm seriously going to end up flipping a coin for this one) get his/herself mauled for being all wise and medic-like, or would his/her calling as a monk/nun/whatever keep him/her relatively safe if their eyes?

*so gonna flip a coin, I swear*

20. Wolfsbane

Thing is, my character isn't going to be a knight. Or, well, sort of, but he's no christian crusader. He's not very fond of the new religion (he hates it) and so he's set out to destroy it before it ruins everything he loves (because that's what it'll do if it's allowed to continue, as he sees it).

Now, are you all ok with me starting this up? Or do we need to discuss anything further?

Our Host!