hex editor help?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by cazsim83, Aug 17, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. cazsim83

cazsim83 New Member

Hi - first time poster here. I apologize if this is in the wrong place - I tried not being a "nimrod" :)

I have already viewed this topic - viewtopic.php?t=13757 (no coding for transparency as a first poster)

However, my dilemma is that I am receiving an error now - its basically the issue from this board - http://combatace.com/topic/72709-msstdfmtdll-problems/

Essentially, I am stuck on how to fix the error.

I am trying to use the arcanum hex editor from ancient days of yore (arceditor1_8) but when I try to run it, it says " class not registered. you need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL "

I copied/overwrote the MSSTDFMT file from the .zip folder for the editor to the system32 folder, then ran DOS/CMD to register the file

(first section of the editor readme / Q and A file)
    * Q - When I try to run the editor it says that *.dll (ex. Msstdfmt.dll
    or comdlg.ocx)is not correctly registered or Installed. How can I fix
    this?
    A - This problem can be solved by placing that file into your Windows
    system folder. Once you do that either: go to a Dos Prompt and type
    type "cd system" which switches you to the "\windows\system"directory
    Type "regsvr32 *.dll" (ex. msstdfmt.dll)
    Close DOS window.
    or you can go to the run command under the start menu and
    type Regsvr32 C:\windows\system\msstdfmt.dll

however, when I run this command line, it says " the module "msstdfmt.dll" may not be compatible with the version of windows that you're running. check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.exe

I have no idea how to progress beyond this. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you so much.

Our Host!