To help Donn Throgg to get away

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Enfinity, Jan 28, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Enfinity

Enfinity New Member

Made it to the point, when Donn Throgg's quest becomes available.

Withal, I get no option "to let him slip away", Babcock says there's nothing that can be done, Wheeler gives two options: kill him or convince to surrender. Not to mention the option of setting Donn against the Tarant, which I don't like too.

How do I help the poor bugger? I've tried various combinations of dialogues, what I've got is null and void. Are there any specific requirements to the PC, e. g. Charisma/Persuasion/etc greater than some value?

I've tried searching the subject here and on various search engines; found one topic here, with 4 posts but no answer. Please help.

Thanks.

2. KaeseEs

KaeseEs New Member

If you don't mind spoilering yourself, you can check the dialog files to see if there are any checks you've missed. If you scroll down to "Official Arcanum Dialog" at http://www.terra-arcanum.com/amtut/resources.htm and you can download all the dialog in the game (just open the files with a text editor like Notepad or Vim) and check anything out that you like :)

(Nb. to understand the basic layout of the text in the dialog files, you can look through the Arcanum Modding Tutorial, also hosted at terra arcanum).

For reference, looking through the dialog file for Throgg makes it appear that the option you're looking for when talking to him is dependent on a quest flag. I assumed that flag was set in Babcock's dialog, so I checked Babcock's dialog file. Here's what I found:

Decoding this a little bit, it looks like what's necessary to get the requisite dialog with Babcock is a Persuasion of 12 (each chunk on your character sheet for skills is four points, so you need 3 points in PS) and for local flag 3 to be set to zero. Poking around elsewhere in Babcock's dialog file, it appears LF3 will be zero (how you want it) unless you tell Babcock that Cpt. Wheeler sent you to talk to him or say anything positive about Wheeler/bad about the union/orcs. So to answer your question, have 3 ranks of PS, talk to Babcock, DON'T mention Wheeler or take the anti-orc side in any way, and ask Babcock what can be done about the situation.

Hope this helps!

3. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

The short answer is "something around "Expert" in persuasion", then it's simply repeating what the gnome fellow outside tells you.

4. Enfinity

Enfinity New Member

KaeseEs, I don't mind. Already did while looking for the solution. I'll look in what you've provided, thanks.

Besides, having changed search keywords a little, I managed to find a thread somewhere here with a suggestion to start a dialogue with Mr. Babcock and drop it at some point, then resume. It will (allegedly) cause the needed options to appear. I think I'll check this out first. Although I've seen a confirmation for Ring lord's words in that thread too. But the hope dies the last.

Thanks.

5. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

IIRC, three character points in persuasion (12/20 depending on how you look at things) does the trick. You can leave the Don Throgg situation indefinitely and tackle it when you have Velorien's blessing if you're that way inclined, it will give you the requisite Persuasion so long as you have 12 in CH.

6. Enfinity

Enfinity New Member

Dropping the dialogue did the trick. The drop must be done nearly to the end of the dialogue (when you talk about what can be done to help Throgg).

Thanks everybody.

Our Host!