Razor's Pointe world map trick - does it still work?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by KaeseEs, Jan 21, 2014.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. KaeseEs

KaeseEs New Member

I'm trying to use the Razor's Pointe world map trick to get to Caladon early in my current playthrough (mostly to force the Virgil's death/rebirth to put him on the Zen Virgil leveling scheme as early as possible), and it doesn't seem to work - everywhere out in the water, past the tip of the mountain range that blocks the way, the map icon turns into the blue World Map icon, but clicking on it gives the error that the world map is not available. Did this get patched out at some point, or did I just forget the spot out in the water where it works? I'm playing with the GoG edition of the game, with the 1074 patch applied plus the latest UAP and the hires patch. Thanks!

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Not sure if this will help but:

3. KaeseEs

KaeseEs New Member

e: accidental double post, see below :)

4. KaeseEs

KaeseEs New Member

Thanks for the reply. I was already aware of the Stillwater -> Ruby Glade (teleport) -> Lethe Wyvern Sighting (bridge) -> run to Caladon route, but it's good to know the forum is alive :) I want to use the Razors Pointe route this game because it's shorter (and thus has fewer random encounters) and doesn't require a teleport scroll.

The reason I want to minimize random encounters, as you probably guessed, is to prevent my party from levelling up, to facilitate the earliest possible transition from the normal melee/dodge levelling scheme for Virgil to the more magic-heavy Zen Virgil scheme. I like to do min/max or zany build playthroughs of RPGs that I like but have otherwise played to death.

Now, I certainly could use the Ruby Glade route and launch the game with the -norandom flag to disable random encounters to prevent accidental levelling, but that's a bit cheesy for my tastes.

5. KaeseEs

KaeseEs New Member

Another update: I wound up going the Ruby Glade route. Got to T'sen Ang, went in and out and Virgil didn't run away as I expected. I guess you have to actually get the note from Min Gorad in order to trigger his dialogue? If that's the case this will all have been for nought - I want to handle that situation in a certain way for RP purposes, and my (purposely low-level for Zen Virgil purposes) character doesn't have the skills to do that yet. Maybe I'll do another run to see whether I can have my cake and eat it too.

e: actually, upon further thought this may not be all that bad. With the 1.0.74 patch + UAP applied, Virgil gets set to level 25 when he gets resurrected, and this forces his character points to get reset according to what level 25 of the Zen Virgil level scheme, right? So there's no loss if I trigger the event when my character is at level 25 instead of 12 or whatever anyways. I'll continue my current run and see how it goes :)

6. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

Just finished replaying with all the various updates installed.

- Razor pointe works.
    - Pass of Gorgoth works but was tricky to locate for some reason

You need the pass of Gorgoth anyway, for the god-altars-quest thingy, so you might as well find it early.

7. KaeseEs

KaeseEs New Member

Do you remember where you were at Razor's Pointe where the world map icon worked? I tried all over the sandbar and even on the ship, and in both locations the world map icon errored out saying the world map was unavailable.

8. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

As you said, it's unavailable there, so I just walked north a bit until it became available.
    After that I could use it as a transition point towards the Caladon part of the continent.

9. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I managed to get this to work (but I don't have the UAP). You can access the world map when you stand as far east as you possibly can on the path. Right before the ship at the end.

Our Host!