Conflict with high res patch

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by 3rreth, Nov 30, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. 3rreth

3rreth New Member

Hi,

I am using the high res patch and I sometimes experience "conflicts" where it narrows down a lot and i cant pan the view. I dont know if thats the right expression but basically my screen i almost locked to my characters position. This happens when I drink at a bar and equip the dark helm. I do not know if there are more stuff where this happens but these two are the ones I have noticed. The thing where I drink at a bar is fixed by reinstalling the patch but I cant seem to be able to fix the dark helm. Do i need to uninstall the patch or something? Please help

2. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

One of the uses for Perception (PE) in Arcanum is limiting the distance that your character can "see", ie how far you can pan the view. A character with low PE can't see as far (or pan the view as far) as a character with high PE. When you consume alcohol and wear the dark helm (or indeed any helm) your PE is lowered. Therefore, you can sometimes "see" farther with the high res patch enabled than your PE actually allows, preventing you from moving the camera at all.

I believe, however, that this only applies when the camera is centred on your character. If you move your character to the edge of the screen you can move the camera in that direction. I think that your character is automatically centred if you open and close any screen (character sheet, inventory, map, etc), but I'm not entirely sure.

Shortly then:
    Nothing is wrong, but it's still bloody annoying. I tend to play without the high res patch as a result.

3. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

Reading the readme might provide a solution to this dilemma.

But who the fuck am I kidding, nobody reads readmes in this 'smart' era of iDevices. If there aren't huge arrows explaining each and every feature of the program at the launch, nobody will bother looking. I mean, learning something yourself?! What's this, the 90s?! Fuck no, I'd rather have a huge arrow painted on my girlfriends pubic area, so that I don't forget where I need to stuff my junk.

4. 3rreth

3rreth New Member

Thanks a lot Ruda! I just increased my perception a bit and it worked.

Our Host!