Advice needed on tech character - guns sucks

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by SpaceCowboy78, Nov 28, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. SpaceCowboy78

SpaceCowboy78 New Member

Hi guys,

I have played this great game, but never finished it. The furthest was Quinterra. Now on another playthrough I'm playing a tech gunslinger, but I'm kinda disappointed with choosing to use guns. I'm frustrated that quite often I miss my aim even at expert firearms (especially in the dark) and that I can't carry the big guns. Perhaps I shouldn't have chosen the sickly background?

Now I need your advice. I'm currently pre-BMC at Ashbury, now ibusy within the Castle. Perhaps I still can finish the boil, then I have no choice but to go to BMC. My character is Human Male with Sickly background. I just became lvl 16 with the stats ST 6, CN 4, DX 11 (using 2 charge rings), BE 8, INT 14, WP 8, PE 12, CH 9. Apprentice Persuasion & Throwing. Expert Firearms. Tech discpl: Gun Smith 6, Elec 2, Explo 1. Unused CP 5

Right now I'm using handcannon. I have dog, jayna and magnus.

This is what I can do:
    A) being a better gunslinger - put points in ST so I can use the heavier guns (elephant gun, blade launcher etc)
    B) focus on explosives, flexibility and great synergy with guns - max explosive tech, followed by chemistry.
    C) better weapons and armor for my followers. Right now they are squishy - max smithing, follow by mechanical (automatons = meatshield!) and then repair
    D) focus on stealth sniping - prowling, lock picking
    E) other options.

I know it is my game and my choice, but I would appreciate any advice.

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Stick with the hand cannon. Arm your followers with pyro axes, the schematic for which can be found in the sewers below Willoughsby's house. You can build them without points in smithy using Magnus and manuals.

3. SpaceCowboy78

SpaceCowboy78 New Member

Yeah well the followers are using balanced swords and they kill things nicely. The problems is when they meet mech spiders (maybe automaton?), which cut through Magus and Jayna like hot butter. Maybe because they're wearing leather.

No, the problem is with my character. Even with my handcannon, I'm like pew pew pew.. Miss Miss.. sometime hit for lil dmg. Sometimes I think I can hit better with the Long rang gun.. but maybe that's an illusion. Even in the dark, I let Magnus carry an illumation device (electric 1).

Yeah.. not sure when Magnus can craft the lightweight axe.. but still waiting.

4. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Well the short answer is that guns suck.

5. SpaceCowboy78

SpaceCowboy78 New Member

Thanks, that's really helpul. I mean such a concise answer. (joking)

Sorry, i appreciate you replying though. But tell me from the options I outline above, which would you choose?

6. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I suppose, for the BMC, i would choose a combination of A and B. A little more ST and explosives (up to the explosive grenade).

7. SpaceCowboy78

SpaceCowboy78 New Member

Thanks for the tip by the way. Just doing as you said. Having fun with explosies.. problem is carrying the lot of them. Also i will try to use the looking glass rifle, because of the to hit bonus. Will do away the handcannon and long range gun

8. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

The Sharpshooter's Pistol on the gunsmith in Tarant has a low ST requirement and a bonus to to-hit so you'll hit more often with that. You can get it by going into his room when he closes for the night, first stealing his bullets and then stealing his gun - this can be done with zero pickpocket. Or you can just kill him, but then schematics are more difficult to come by. The only probably with the gun is it does lower damage than the hand cannon and fires at a faster rate so you'll churn through a lot of bullets. I've used it all the way until the end of the game before whilst wearing a smoking jacket, but then again I was charismatic enough to have a lot of followers.

You could always get the Jewel of Hebe in the Panarii Temple in Tarant to get extra followers (you'll have to steal it though), it boosts CH and I'm pretty sure it boosts the current number of followers you can have off the bat anyway. Maybe an extra follower might make the difference.

Our Host!