Worldmap Waypoints --- no delete key on my computer

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sleek_Jeek, Sep 17, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

So it seems that there is no "delete key" on my computer. The key marked as delete is in fact backspace and there is no other key - how can I undo worldmap waypoints without this key?

2. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

I wasn't even aware of that you could use the delete key to undo waypoints. I simply rightclick, thereby removing the one most recently placed. Works for both world- and townmaps.

While on the subject, is there anyway to remove the maximum allowed waypoints? Or is the game unable to handle any more than the annoyingly limited number allowed?

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

How many waypoints do you actually use on an average trip? I can remember kadura stem and ginka root hunting where I used to make a spiral consisting of decent number of waypoints, stopping intermittently to collect them; to me this begs the question what elaborate journeys do you plan which require more? Of course I'm being completely useless and have no idea if there is a legitimate way to increase the number of allowed waypoints, but still I'm curious.

4. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Hah! My trips are anything but average!

The Great Arcanum Safari for Upright Gentlemen starts in Caladon and we begin by looking for Lethe Wyverns at the bridge leading us into the elven forests. We then stop by Garbonzo the Monkey Trainer for some big game hunting before setting off again, this time towards Quintarra to check out some elven dames. We often lose a couple of stout men at Falcon's Ache since many lack the willpower necessary to fight off the urge to shoot a bunny when it's up close. Remember folks, only one meta-mage will accompany us on the great journey.

We continue north to the Smurf village and then east in order to give you fine gentlemen a proper Bedokaan experience (yes, everyone gets to skin ONE lizard each). We then take Hardin's pass across the Stonewall Range and visit Stillwater just in time for their "religious festivals". Ah yes, gentlemen you know what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, we cannot continue south towards Shrouded Hills as rumours have reached us of a terrible bandit known only as the Scourge of Shrouded Hills. Since your insurances only cover animal attacks, we have to skip Shrouded Hills altogether. I know you're disappointed gentlemen, but don't worry! Instead of boring old Shrouded Hills we will visit Blackroot where we will be met by the legendary Franklin Payne, big game hunter and adventurer of great repute.

After Blackroot, we will continue south towards the Wolf Cave in order to satisfy your bloodlust. Then it's off to Tarant! Heh, almost had you there didn't I? Tarant, my good sirs, will not be visited during a safari of mine. In fact, we will use another bridge up north to cross over to the Morbihan Plains, just to avoid the wretched city. No Caladonian gentleman should set his foot in Tarant unless he absolutely have to!

On the Plains there are many fine locations that we just have to visit. At the Forbidden Pit you can blast some widowers from above. At the Lair of Bellerogrim you can witness the remains of the once mighty dragon. And we're almost certainly going to stumble across a mountain lion or two. Oh, gentlemen, you are in for a treat!

Now, only the Grand Finale remains! The Vendigroth Wastes! The heat, the horror! We will be relentless, gentlemen. Remember to bring water, lots of it, and by the grace of Nasrudin do not listen to the Sirens at night. Sir Gregor Seamus Darton writes that they will call for you "promising unspeakable pleasures in the very voice of irresistible allure" only to leave you "an empty husk of skin and bone, withered and drained of life". You see now, gentlemen, the need for our stopover at Stillwater. The release will hopefully tide you over, enabling you to resist the sirens. On the bright side, Darton also promises us desert-orcs to slay.

Our last stop will be the city of Tulla. Don't worry you won't be asked to converse with the boring sods, we're just there to take advantage of Simeon Tor's portal, sparing us the long road home.

Disclaimer: The Great Arcanum Safari for Upright Gentlemen and it's associates can not and will not be held responsible for any problems due to lack of waypoints. Such problems are to be considered likely. You have been warned.

5. Jojobobo

6. Ruda

Ruda Active Member

Wow, the things we do to avoid studying when the date for our exam is approaching.

Anyway, the question was earnest. It could be very useful to have additional waypoints, especially when backtracking in dungeons without a scroll of exiting. Or getting back inside when you've forgotten something.

7. Jojobobo

In regards to the original question, Sleek_Jeek you are on a mac aren't you? I didn't imagine you creating a thread about Arcanum on mac which magically disappeared?

If so download the KeyRemap4MacBook app (I presume it'll work for all macs and not just mac books, also it's free and legit), then assign a key to "forward delete" (I chose backslash). This allows you to get rid of waypoints as per usual; I would have discovered this sooner but I only just got out of Shrouded Hills so that I experienced the same problem.

Also, what did you use to install Arcanum? I used one of Paul the Tall's Wineskins and a GOG download of Arcanum, but I'm curious to know if there is a different way that makes it run better. I did try dabbling with Wine, but using a Wineskin seemed like the easier alternative.

8. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Re:

I still have my hard copy of Arcanum, so I suppose that means I still own it?

I used spurious means to acquire the files which are currently on my hard drive. Anyway, the files came from a certain web site and the URL ends in this 8481974/Arcanum__Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura_[Mac]_[GOG_Version]_[W

It's a wine port and there isn't any info given on who created this particular port. I have had a few problems with the game crashing but its not very common and doesn't affect the game after I reload.

I did create a thread asking about using Wine, and I did delete it. Google solved my problems for me so I thought it better not to have a redundant thread hanging around on this forum.

Regardless I'll definitely be trying out KeyRemap4Macbook! Thanks for that!

Our Host!