Magnus' book

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by dowdicus, Aug 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. dowdicus

dowdicus New Member

Ok, I'm not necessarily here for help, more curiosity. I've looked all over the internet and haven't found any references to this.

I just finished the P. Schuyler & Sons quest and I decided to grab magnus' book and read it. He argued with me, but eventually lets me borrow it. a few seconds after he agrees to let me read it, my entire party (virgil, sogg, magnus) and myself are instantly killed-the effect is the same as the one that kills the lady who wants you to steal the crystal ball. In fact, I still have the crystal ball and thought that was what was killing me, but it's the book.

I've read the book in previous play-throughs. Not sure why it's killing me, but, like I said, I haven't found any other references to this and was curious other people's experiences. Some things to consider:

Maybe its an interaction between the book and the crystal ball? i doubt it.
    My character is an elf, perhaps the book doesn't like elves?
    Could it be magical aptitude?
    My character is a female, though that seems unlikely as the reason...

Does anyone else know anything about it?

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I assume you killed the Schuylers? What version of the game are you running too?

3. dowdicus

dowdicus New Member

Yeah, we killed them. It's the latest version--1074. UAP version 091225.

4. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Did you strike a deal with them then turned around and killed them?

5. dowdicus

dowdicus New Member

Yeah, I told them we'd make a deal, then magnus got all huffy about it and we killed them.

6. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

Can you upload your savegame?

7. dowdicus

dowdicus New Member

Sure, where do I upload it to? What directory should it be in--it's a .gsi file, right?

8. Mr.Moe

Mr.Moe New Member

Arcanum\modules\Arcanum\Save

all slot001 files for example, should be 4 files including a bmp

Upload with google drive, mediafire or one of the 1000 other filehoster out there :p

9. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Wasn't this bug sorted in the UAP? I could be talking out of my arse, but I believe that some errant code linked Magnus to the quench life effect at Falcon's Ache and Drog fixed it. My advice would be possibly try re-installing the patch - also are you using any other mods that might interfere with the UAP?

Other than that, the book's pointless anyway; all it does is demonstrate where Magnus gets some of his deluded opinions from. If all else fails don't read the book.

10. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

There's a bug (or a possible feature) that fires after you deal with the Schuylers and go back one level, Magnus initiates a dialog with, asking if you want him to continue traveling in your group, searching for his lost clan. If you refuse - your life gets quenched.

This was brought up during the development of the UAP. When I looked at the coding, it didn't seem to be an error to me. I mean, how could somebody accidentally put something like this in?

Maybe this was supposed to make Magnus and his lost clan more mysterious. Like there's a curse associated with him or something.

So I left it in.

Looks like there's also another trigger on the book then. So it is really a "curse" then.

11. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Also thinking back, I just returned his book to him the first time he moans like a bitch. Then I took it back off him and the dialogue doesn't start again and you're free to read it - same deal with his gauntlets which are pretty sexy for dwarves (also the effects of the gauntlets don't apply to him till you at least make him re-equip them). Try that and see if you fare any better.

12. dowdicus

dowdicus New Member

Ok. I just thought it was cool. I wound up taking the book from him without getting killed (on accident) and saved later on anyway, so i don't think my save game would make much difference.. It seems that it only kills you when you argue with him for a few minutes about throwing it away, rather than just telling him you'll give it back to him.

Our Host!