Protection vs fatigue damage. And enemies rigging

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by klauz619, Feb 21, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. klauz619

klauz619 New Member

How does one get more protection against fatigue damage? and why do some enemies have retarded amounts of fatigue damage that wouldn't apply to you if you did the same

>ogre bridge guards

Lukan's lackeys do like 10 fatigue damage per punch, which doesn't make sense, you go from full to 0 in one combat turn most of the time if you don't kill something in your first turn.

>the boil enemies

I had full plate and everything, they were not hitting me for much but removed 20 fatigue per hit. At level 15 I had about 70 fatigue maybe, and they could drop me to 80%hp 0% fatigue and auto-win from there on which is completely retarded. They are just using a basic mace(1-5FT).

Why do enemies get insane bonuses to fatigue damage? It's making a 2-man run through impossible as virgil is completely inept anyway and the game is over when I go from 100%FP to 0 against certain encounters.

2. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

Bare hands damage is supposedly has high fatique component.
    Give them railroad spikes, they will become much weaker and slower.
    Did you tried to get better equipment? And by this I mean some good weapon. Full plate is a bit useless for you at the start of the game, because of weight.
    Did you put points in dodge?
    And, at last, use potions, Luke.

3. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

It's only really unarmed enemies or enemies with a broadsword that really cause this difficulty at a low level. I would say use potions, or run away. In case you didn't know, holding shift and clicking the hot key slot automatically uses a potion on yourself - useful if you play with real time as you can avoid unnecessary and often deadly awkwardness.

If you run away (using fatigue potions to keep your own up), their fatigue drains chasing you, so you can then use their own tactic against them. Kill one, the others scatter momentarily, making the fight a damn sight easier as you can easily take out the next when their back is turned. In fact you can lead them into an ambush by telling Virgil to wait at a distance where their fatigue would be significantly drained, then he will join in the fray when they reach that point and wail on them (giving him an arcane staff makes him extremely effective at knocking these low fatigue enemies out).

If you're using spells and yet don't have a staff with mana on it, get one, that should also help fatigue. Lastly if some fights are too tough, wait till you're a higher level (the people in the Boil don't even fight you if you're above a certain level - 30 I think) to take them back on, or shift the fights in your favour using found explosives or scrolls. Not every fight is supposed to be easy! Hope that was some help, and also everything Pyotr said is also good. As far as I know, nothing protects from fatigue damage, though I may be wrong about this.

4. Drog Alt

Drog Alt Member

AC does protect against fatigue (or any other kind of) damage. The same goes for the Dodge skill.

But yeah, the whole fatigue business is really bullshit in Arcanum.

5. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Normal resistance does. Fatigue resistance = 0.7 x normal damage resistance.

6. Jojobobo

Interesting, that's not something I would have found out normally. I always assumed the main reason I took less fatigue damage later was because I was killing things faster!

7. klauz619

klauz619 New Member

Kind of strange how some stupid ogre with a basic axe was able to rob me of 20 fatigue with 59% damage resistance.

So if I were lightly armored hed be taking out almost 40 fatigue a swing. Why do enemies get massive fatigue damage bonuses when attacking while the player is stuck with 1-6 or 2-9 or whatever their weapon base has?

8. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

Maybe they are so skillful criminals that they know how to beat shit out of victim without killing him.

9. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The ogres and halforcs you mention have the absurd bonus damage because their strength is above 20. That's the real kicker.

That's the mechanics, but really of course a mutant street fighter is going to fuck your shit up if he hits you with an axe or punches you in the face.

Thankyou, Jojobobo, for the shift+hotkey trick! I never knew. And thankyou, Muro and Drog, for the DR and AC for fatigue.

I'm reminded of a sanskrit poem:

Once I thought I was very clever,
    And I was as obnoxious as a rutting elephant.
    Then I spent time with really educated people,
    And I realised I didn't know anything.

10. Jojobobo

I would take credit, but I only learnt it myself from Drog several months ago.

11. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

You appear to be forgetting about the bonus melee damage deriving from the weapon wielder's strength.

Let's take the example you already mentioned. The half ogre at the entrance of the Boil may be stupid and may be wielding just a basic axe, but he has a most impressive strength of 24 translating into a bonus melee damage of 28. With the axe's 1-9 base fatigue damage and the "3*max base damage" upper damage cap, the half ogre deals 27-27 fatigue damage with each swing of his axe.

That being said, his attack would mean 27 fatigue damage against an unarmored opponent. You have 59% normal damage resistance. That * 0.7 = 41% fatigue damage resistance. 27 lowered by 41% = 16 fatigue damage, and that's what you receive with each of his landed hits.

There's no player-enemy injustice here. If you were a half ogre with maxed out strength, you too would deal such fatigue damage with a mere axe.

Our Host!